How do you catch crawdads? Do you eat them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Last year I decided to start catching and consuming Indiana crawdads. I must say, after getting over the idea of eating bait, they were the sweetest vittles dripped in butter I have ever tasted. They were better than any snow crab on any buffet.

I catch mine in the local creeks using homemade traps baited with some sort of oily fish like sardines or cat food. I am curious how my fellow "cajun" Hoosiers do it.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I don't eat them, but as a kid I caught them all the time by watching for them to scurry to their holes, then cupping my hand over the hole waiting 30 seconds, and then lifting the rock up from one side as they would see the light and turn away from it and back right into my hand thinking it was another rock.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I've only caught and eaten craw dads in Florida. They were delicious. When I did do that I'd just put on a pair of scuba fins and a snorkel with a mask and put a mesh bag around my wrist to stuff the craw dads in. Then just swim up and down the river and pluck the juicy ones.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Love me some mud bugs but haven't caught them since I was a kid and that was simply for entertainment. I ate my body weight in them a couple times over when I lived in Louisiana for a few years.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I wander down the streams at night with a headlamp on, bait net in one hand and a beer in the other. I have a mesh drawstring bag on my belt to hold them. Usually it is me and a buddy or two. You can catch about 5 lbs an hour in a good spot. I thought I was the only one who caught and ate hoosierdads!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I wander down the streams at night with a headlamp on, bait net in one hand and a beer in the other. I have a mesh drawstring bag on my belt to hold them. Usually it is me and a buddy or two. You can catch about 5 lbs an hour in a good spot. I thought I was the only one who caught and ate hoosierdads!

Interesting... Five pounds is about right for a good meal. This idea has great appeal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I use my thumb and index finger, and just grab them behind the backs of their pinchers. i used to live near a great stretch of shallow streams. I was younger, and wished i coulda used nets, but we did what we had to do

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Ive heard that the ones under the water are hardshell and the ones that make the burros on the banks are soft shell.
    Any truth to that?

No I don't believe so. A softshell is just one that has recently molted and whose new shell has not yet hardened. About 1 in 30 that you find will be softshell. Keep it a few days and it will be a hardshell again. All the one's I've caught peeking out of burrows have been hardshelled. All the soft shelled one's I've caught have been underwater.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    One summer I got really into fishing a creek near bloomfield. I would wade the creek with my fishing rod and a little bitty dip net like they use in the pet store to dip gold fish. When I saw a crawdad I would scoop it up and pop it on the hook. Every time I caught one I would pitch it up stream without a weight or bobber and every time I caught a small mouth or rock bass. It was a heck of a way to spend an afternoon. I used to catch them by hand all the time when I was a kid, but those little bitty dip nets are awesome!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Last year I decided to start catching and consuming Indiana crawdads. I must say, after getting over the idea of eating bait, they were the sweetest vittles dripped in butter I have ever tasted. They were better than any snow crab on any buffet.

I catch mine in the local creeks using homemade traps baited with some sort of oily fish like sardines or cat food. I am curious how my fellow "cajun" Hoosiers do it.

Eating bait, I liked that.:):

My question is how you are cooking them, steaming, boiling and how long?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    One summer I got really into fishing a creek near bloomfield. I would wade the creek with my fishing rod and a little bitty dip net like they use in the pet store to dip gold fish. When I saw a crawdad I would scoop it up and pop it on the hook. Every time I caught one I would pitch it up stream without a weight or bobber and every time I caught a small mouth or rock bass. It was a heck of a way to spend an afternoon. I used to catch them by hand all the time when I was a kid, but those little bitty dip nets are awesome!

The easiest way I've found to scoop them is to gently position the net behind them and then wiggle your fingers in front of them. They scoot back right into the net!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Eating bait, I liked that.:):

My question is how you are cooking them, steaming, boiling and how long?

I boil them in with half cobs of corn, taters, and onions. I add a bunch of cayenne and black pepper to the water. There are a million different cajun boil recipes out there. Just be aware, they have to be cooked live and can only be frozen uncooked with specialized equipment. Discard any that do not curl up in the boil as they were likely dead going in.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The easiest way I've found to scoop them is to gently position the net behind them and then wiggle your fingers in front of them. They scoot back right into the net!

That's how I used to catch them by hand, but I found those little bitty nets move through the water fast enough that I could usually just creep it up on them from behind and then snap the net forward to scoop him. Man, now I'm really wanting to go wading (I bet the water is still pretty chilly so I will give it a few weeks, lol)

Top Bottom