• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Either mounted firmly at an angle that forces the destroyed round at a downward angle... or mounted loosly so it "gives" and absorbs the impact also changing the plate to a downward angle...

either way you need to make sure your velocities are high enough to competely destroy the round.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    I believe it depends on the hardness of the steel that you are shooting at. For example, where I shoot I have a 2'x2' inch thick plate which is standardgrade steel(not ar500 or the like) and beside it there is a 6300lb counterweight from an old dragline. Counterweights are made to to be extremely dense to get as much weight in a small area as possible. When the steel plate is shot, the bullet sortof melts(penatrates) into the steel because it is not very dense. However, when the counterweight is shot, fragments of the weight itself and of the bullet are blown(ricochet) away from the weight because it is too dense for the bullet to penetrate into it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    22LR from 100 yards out on a swinging target. The target swings and the little 22 disintegrates?

target swings and the amount of give forces the round at a downward angle... i doubt a .22 at 100 yards is disinegrating... but after hitting the steel it wont have very much steam left, and what is left will be directed towards the ground.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    22LR from 100 yards out on a swinging target. The target swings and the little 22 disintegrates?

Actually, a .223 at 100yds disintigrates literally into a million pieces. So do larger .30 cal rounds too.

You can shoot a 22 LR at steel from a closer distance. Handgun rounds as well. While there isn't a direct ricochette of the main bullet, there is a lot of fragmentation that will travel outwards from the target.

There was a good post a few months ago describing the effect.

The key is shooting very hard steel, though, which is so hard that it won't deform from the impact. This means that all the energy in the bullet goes into moving the target and destroying the round.

Here is a picture of a target after several .223 and .30 rounds at 100yds.

DSC06637.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    most rounds don't offer much risk at more than 5 yards away..
    you have to hit the plate straight on.. hiting off at an angle risks redirecting the round and not splattering it..
    Shooting soft steel risks making craters that can send a round back at the shooter..

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Actually, a .223 at 100yds disintigrates literally into a million pieces. So do larger .30 cal rounds too.

right, but the differance between .223 and .22 lr is around 2000 fps, maybe a bigger differance at 100, and a .22 is soft lead, not a jacketed bullet, i doubt it disinegrats....

on a second though, i was thinking about those cheap .22 swingers NOT a big target like the one you pictured.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    right, but the differance between .223 and .22 lr is around 2000 fps, maybe a bigger differance at 100, and a .22 is soft lead, not a jacketed bullet, i doubt it disinegrats....

on a second though, i was thinking about those cheap .22 swingers NOT a big target like the one you pictured.

Yeah, wasn't disagreeing with you. :) Was more trying to emphasize that larger faster rounds would. I think a .22LR at 100 probably flattens out and bounces down when it hits a gong.

At close range on the smaller gongs they will disintigrate.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

even with swingers, a 22 lr pretty much becomes dust..
    a very thin disk sometimes remains..
    you can get a real neat line of lead splatter in the ground right where the face of the swinger sits..

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    I have made a couple of new steel targets this winter but haven't used them yet. I made the target to hang from a short chain (3 links) my concern is will the singing from side to side cause problems? Should I weld the chain links solid?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    How does the steel not send the round back at you?

As in ricochet?

If you shot rubber bullets it probably would.

Most bullets don't bounce back for the same reason super balls aren't made from clay. It permenantly deforms rather than rebounding in shape and bouncing. The best description would be a splatter more like water than a bounce back like a rubber ball.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    As all the others have said. Get yourself some hardened steel and hang it so that it can swing. That will give you good results.

:cool::cool:shameless plug below:cool::cool:

I have been making targets if anyone has any interest. PM me for details.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I have a steel plate that i shoot at 25-100+ yards. It is not hard enough to stop any rifle(they punch clean through), but is great for handguns and .22(even .17hmr will dent it but not handgun rounds). It's mounted swinging from chain in a wood frame. The frame is plastered with little peices of the splattered bullets. I can assure you, a .22 at 100 yards will splatter. So will most handgun rounds. any round that doesn't will be deflected into the ground. This thing is an absolute blast to shoot, but i yell at anyone who shoots at my gong with a rifle!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Do you think the twisting on impact will cause problems with ricochet?

No it will be fine. I once had a set of six plates that hung from chains and I pounded them with thousands of rounds of pistol ammo without a problem.

Splatter can be a problem with shooting steel so be sure to use eye protection always.

The bullet splatters 360 degrees from the point of impact, and this can be proved with cardboard shrounds placed around the target. It is also possible to get some pretty big chunks back up range at times.

Safe distance up range is the 9-10 yard range. get much closer and you might have to remove pieces when you are done.

Top Bottom