• Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'm a total newb. :)

I live on the N side of Indy.

I'd like to try shooting something in a competition setting with my stock Glock.

Where do I start? Thanks!

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Have you checked local gun clubs? I know one of the clubs up north here has a weekly pistol league where they shoot an IDPA stage. I don't have too much help for you, though. I haven't done much looking myself yet. Maybe check the IDPA website, if that's the type of shooting you want to do.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I don't know enough to know what kind of competition I want to do. I hear people talking about shooting bowling pins, steel, etc. :):

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I am just as lost as you there. I know that IDPA is stands for International Defense Pistol Association, or something like that. I am going to give it a try, as soon as I get a holster and another magazine.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Guys, very little experience here, but IDPA is shooting at targets from concealed, scoring speed and accuracy. (I haven't felt confident enough to try it yet.) However Steel is a gas, it's speed and accuracy hitting pretty good sized pieces of steel. The first match I ever shot in was put on by Springfield in Memphis. IT WAS absoultely HUGE!!!! I was out of my league totally, but it hooked me. I came back and started shooting the Matches at Atlanta CC and never looked back. I am still learning to shoot quicker, but everybody I've ever shot with in a squad has been helpful. The more experienced guys are totally willing to help the newer ones along. Now I'm in at MCF&G for their friday night matches and intend to return to Atlanta soon. So, my suggestion is to start with steel, to get into the match mindset, and to help release the "jitters" that come with the competition thing, Hope to see you on the range soon. OH also continue to train in between matches, to stay smooth and continue improvement.

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    I live up north so my club probably would not be of help, but. We have limited IDPA every Wednesday nite and official on the 2nd Sunday of the month and are getting new people near every week. Look on the web site of the various shooting sports like IDPSA, USPSA, etc. I know there a a few around your area. Go to some of these and talk to the people. Look on the web for clubs aroung you and check their sites to see what they offer. If you find something interesting you might want to go just to observe and talk the first time. Don't be shy, shooters are mostly good guys and glad to help and suggest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Fenway, I think one of the important questions to ask is: Why am I getting into this? Its important to be clear about your intentions because as you circle into different games the distinction will become a bit more muddy. What I mean is this: are you interested in the actual competition, or do you want to shoot an organized course of fire, and they are 2 very different things that happen from the same firing line. Some guys come to win, and I don't belittle them that. Personally, I find it much better to go and compete against myself. There will always be a guy who is better than you, so to me the competition thing is a lost cause anyway. I just bring this up bc it seems some people start out cordial, and as their skill improves they get bloodthirsty. If competition is what you want, then if you tank a match you wasted your time, gas money, ammo, entry fee, etc. I am not saying you should be excited that you tanked a match, because we all need to improve, but if you mess it up, and then spend the rest of the day kicking yourself, what have you accomplished? I guess the heart of what I am trying to say is this- be comfortable with who you are and the fact that you will miss, you may miss a lot at first, the gun will jam, all of those things. I also would be hesitant to apply labels to particular groups. Some people think that Steel and pins are more down-home guys who dont get too worked up about the competition. That may be true, but every game will have a guy who must be the best, and will have guys who are more laid back and will give you suggestions. I know I am a broken record, but be sure to keep things in perspective. Some guys cannot stand to mess up a match, and to me that just shows that you cant accept your own flaws. Ask VUPDblue, or Bigcraig, or Dave, or Rhino, or Mike, I put on a bad show of markmanship last Friday, but I don't ruin the fellowship afterwards by pissing and moaning about my scores. Some of that is part of the ritual though. I guess this didnt answer your original question, but I thought it would be worth thinking about. It also applies because some guys will advise you to dump a ton of money into your rig so that you can be at the top of the heap. If thats what you want, it doesnt bother me. But I am cheap and will compromise my times for my money, at least to an extent.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you want to try something organized, but not super hard or restrictive, come on down and try Friday Night Steel. It is a lot of fun, and we all have our good days and our bad days. You'll see everything being used, from KelTec PF9's to suppressed 9mm AR15's to bone stock Glocks, and even a few tricked-out race guns. The most important thing to me when shooting FNS is trying to be a little better than I was last month. Well, that and the comraderie....actually the BS talkin' is pretty good.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    You can shoot:

Steel, IDPA, IPSC, Bowling Pins, or 3-gun at the Atlanta Conservation Club.
    Atlanta Conservation Club

IPSC, NRA Action Pistol (like the Bianchi Cup), and 3-gun at the Wildcat Rifle & Pistol Club (near Lafayette).
    Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club

IPSC at Riley (Terre Haute) with the Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters.
    http://www.wvpps.com/main%20frame.htm

Steel, Conventional Pistol (bullseye), and (I think) Bowling Pins at Marion County Fish & Game.
    Marion County Fish and Game Association, Indianapolis, Indiana

IDPA at Hamilton County Fish & Game.
    Hamilton County Fish & Game

Those are the places I've been. And then there are other clubs that shoot IPSC or IDPA like South Central or Silver Creek.
    The club websites will give you schedules, info, and contacts to get you started. The contact names should be able to tell you more than I could, but I will be glad to let you know what I can about where I've been if you decide on what to start with.
    Also, the websites of IDPA and USPSA (which is the USA branch of IPSC) will give you some info too- both for new shooters and links to other clubs.
    International Defensive Pistol Association
    United States Practical Shooting Association
    Any one of the places I've been to has new shooters each and every match. They expect it, and are prepared for it, and know how to get you going. If you want, you can come just to watch the first time.
    If you pick a place to go, let me know, and unless I'm not going that time, I can help you out in any way I can.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks Barry!

I am going to salemons club for the weekly pistol shoot tonight. I will probably miss every target, but whatever. It's fun just to get out and do it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The best games to get started are steel and bowling pins in my opinion, especially at clubs where you don't draw from the holster. There is no movement and the objective is simple: hit the steel or knock the pin from the table.

The GSSF Glock matches are also newbie friendly. The annual event in Indy is coming soon.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks for the great info here guys. I guess a good place for me to start is Steel. My motivation is just to practice and try something different.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fenway, I have been shooting the MCFG Friday Night Steel for a couple years now and I highly recommend it to get started. It's not that competitive and you get familiar with a timed event. If you really get hooked, there are all kinds of sanctioned competitions elsewhere to try later. Also I have found that in general. most shootin' folks that come to this event are good natured and make for good BS'ing about guns in general. I make new acquaintances every month and enjoy the comraderie. I also like the bowling pin match (4th Sat of each month). That is my favorite. Five pins and you shoot against someone in a bracket-like scoring. The first shooter to clear off their table wins and advances to the next bracket. Sometimes that is done in 5 shots, sometimes it takes both shooters 4-5 magazines completely emptied before a winner can be called.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Years ago I got beat at pins by a guy who was 80 years old and shooting a Ruger Vaquero. He even had time to reload.

Top Bottom