• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    my buddy has a stainless steel revolver that has marks on it that look like oil stains or like a light rust marks on it. what are some ways to clean that up or have if refinished ?

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I have a ruger 10/22 stainless that I have had for 20 years. It has some small rust looking spots on it and also some discoloration on top of the receiver. I hope someone will chime in here with some ideas.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I wouldn't use scotchbrite if its polished it would scratch it up too bad, might be ok if its a brushed or satin finish. Might try some Mothers Polish in the case its polished.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I looked at that flitz stuff i may order some of that. but would like a light buffing compound and a buffing wheel on a drimmel tool work or you think that would damage the finish or just do nothing at all ?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I use 000, 0000 steel wool and a couple drops of oil for cleaning burn rings off of my stainless revolver cylinders. Works great and have never seen anything resembling scratching.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I was in the restaurant refit / refurbish industry years ago and on any discolored stainless cabinets, shelving, prep surfaces etc. we used a VERY weak mix of phosphoric acid in water to wipe down the surface.

My understanding is that beside removing foreign matter it would break down the oxidized steel content that wear exposed on the surface and basically increase the nickle content of the surface and recharge the stainless characteristic of the surface.

All I know is it worked in that application YMMV. I can't see a weak solution causing harm to experiment with. IF the surface is real stainless steel.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I was in the restaurant refit / refurbish industry years ago and on any discolored stainless cabinets, shelving, prep surfaces etc. we used a VERY weak mix of phosphoric acid in water to wipe down the surface.

My understanding is that beside removing foreign matter it would break down the oxidized steel content that wear exposed on the surface and basically increase the nickle content of the surface and recharge the stainless characteristic of the surface.

All I know is it worked in that application YMMV. I can't see a weak solution causing harm to experiment with. IF the surface is real stainless steel.

where would a guy get some phosphoric acid at. and what do you consider weak. like 1 to 10 ???

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    i always use mothers mag and aluminum polish with a little 0000 steel wool on stainless steel. always works for me.

That's a good suggestion their I use the mothers billet polish but if you wanna be cheap just use some motor oil spead it on the gun and keep the copper wire wet in oil aswell and start scrubbing it well get rust off but scratch and pits dings etc will have to be sanded down Start at 600 if it's deep then work up to 800 but if light start at 800. Then 1000 and 2000 wipe down and she should be a shining

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    where would a guy get some phosphoric acid at. and what do you consider weak. like 1 to 10 ???

I'm thinking that would work. As I remember the resulting mix was not objectionably strong smelling. Duration of exposure is your easily managed variable. Rub some on and rinse it off. Do that a couple of times to get the desired result. Hardware stores carry it, I don't know about the box stores. It's usually pretty diluted in that kind of store. Higher concentrations are available at chemical outlet companies but you usually need a retail number and account with them to get the high powered stuff. Liability I'm thinking.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    Flitz or semichrome with a little elbow grease. Stay away from the dremel! Don't use any rough steel wool. I prefer 0000 wool or an old sock.

Top Bottom