• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Lets say you fire so many rounds through a gun and it just gives up (:dunno:)...what exactly happens? Is it irreparable or do you just replace a few cheap parts and its as good as new? When a gun fails, is it like a catastrophic, dangerous event, or does it just not fire anymore?

Thanks for informing me haha. :rockwoot:

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I think it would depend on the gun. I'm not sure there's any way to know how a gun will fail except by maybe being able to follow the history of the gun and knowing what people before you have gone through.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Grandpa has an old FIE .22 revolver that is about to find out. It only locks up tight on 1 cylinder, two of the have enough slop for the bullet tip to line up with the edge of the forcing cone. :eek:

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    It depends a lot on what part of the gun malfunctions and how old it is--that is, whether or not replacement parts are available and whether you can find someone willing to work on them. If it's a really old gun, like a family heirloom or just kinda cool, it can go on the wall.
    If the rifling is shot out of it, you might be able to get a new barrel but again it really depends on the gun.

I'm guessing some of the folks on here have guns that mean a lot to them for whatever reason and are probably held together with duct tape!:laugh:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    As Dave said, it depends on the firearm. Some times guns die in a giant kaboom, because of structural inferiority, like Glocks. (typing on a phone, but still shouldn't be in purple). Sometimes it's a mechanical failure, where a part breaks, and needs replaced. Sometimes a firearm is mistreated, and fails due to negligence. Ocassionally, a forearm is so loved the rifling wears down, and is more or less retired to hanging on a wall. Sometimes a collector gets ahold of them and never shoots them because they want to preserve the status of the forearm as is. Sometimes the government restricts them and thus they have to be destroyed. All of these can cause a "death" of a firearm. I'm not really sure what you are looking for....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Savage Crackshot side-lever falling block .22Lr that has a worn part (or two).
    I had a friend machine a new extractor because the old one had just plain seen too much wear.

It also has a stripped screw that holds the side-lever in place. I have already replaced one part, and will treplace the other when I can locate the screw.

I also have an old Smith & Wesson model 31 6-shot .32S&W. It'sa neat little revolver, and it still functions, but it doesn't ;ock up as tight as I would like. A gunsmith has quoted me around $120 to repair. This is more than I have into the gun, so I'm still on the fence about fixing this one.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have an old Stevens .22 inherited from my grandfather. It no longer ejects smoothly from the chamber because the ejector has worn down too far. Last time I shot it, fire and smoke came out of the chamber right in front of my eye as I sighted in the normal firing position. I decided the old boy was worn out and it is now just a souvenir hanging on the wall.

I have a younger Stevens .22, inherited from my father-in-law, that looks to be in excellent shooting condition. I have decided to let it rest on the wall next to its elder brother. Both hang up there next to the Arisaka my dad brought back from Nagoya and the flintlock I picked up from the Dayak who made it in Borneo.

Someday I hope to pick up a Mosin and a Garand to keep that Arisaka company, but until then these will do.

I think the old Stevens wore out when it failed to eject cleanly.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I think a gun is worn out when it fails to perform properly, and cannot be repaired without spending more than a new version of the gun would cost, or beyond what the sentiment of the firearm carries for the owner. One might put more into a firearm than a new model if the firearm has special meaning to the owner, but beyond that, it is rare to find a firearm that is worth repairing beyond the cost of new.

The only other time that a high-dollar repair might make sense is when a gun is no longer made, and fixing it is the only way to find a gun or keep a gun of that model/quality/value working.

Otherwise, it makes little sense to repair a firearm when it gets to the point that the firearm is more expensive to repair than to replace.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Firearms can be repaired and rebuilt. The DNA of the original firearm will or can always be there. A well built firearm should last many generations.

Keep the faith and keep your firearms in your Will. Give them to the family memeber that will love them as you loved them.

Vv

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    A firearm is a mechanical device. Parts will wear and fail on any mechanical device. Whether it be because of worn from use or fail because of improper care.

Top Bottom