How do find out about firearm registraion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I am sorry if the answer is out there, I was unable to locate it.

I'm going through a nasty divorce. It started with a Protective Order and me literally be removed from my home upon returning from a trip. Subsequently the Protective Order was dismissed but future ex wife (thank god) still has possession of majority of marital assets including all the firearms. She refuses to give up any firearms claiming they were purchased in her name and that is not true.

Obviously she has all the receipts and documentation.
    Is there a way I can view the list of handguns etc.. that are listed in my name?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    There is no firearms registration in Indiana. Right now you are SOL and will have to wait until the Lawyers settle it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you know when/where some of them were purchased, most small shop owners will send you a copy of a reciept with name, price, and serial # -- since they should have this info on hand. This information STAYS at the store and does not get communicated to big brother. When you purchase a firearm at an FFL, when they call in and get the background check done, it just gives them the ok to sell you the firearm, they do not report a serial # to a "central hub"

Sorry to hear of your problems. I bet she's holding on to them for leverage.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you know when/where some of them were purchased, most small shop owners will send you a copy of a reciept with name, price, and serial # -- since they should have this info on hand. This information STAYS at the store and does not get communicated to big brother. When you purchase a firearm at an FFL, when they call in and get the background check done, it just gives them the ok to sell you the firearm, they do not report a serial # to a "central hub"

Sorry to hear of your problems. I bet she's holding on to them for leverage.

Good question. I'm sorry to hear about your plight, OP. This would have been my initial thought.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Thank you and yes you are correct she is using everything she can as leverage to try and demand more money. she lied in court etc.. to try and get me Brady disqualified, fortunately the judge dismissed it. some of the stuff is so absurd that it is now entertainment.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    IANAL, but I did go through a divorce. I believe that, absent a prenup stating otherwise, ALL property (including that brought into the marriage) is marital property. ie. you both own it and it is part of your combined estate. The best thing you can do is find a COMPETENT divorce attorney. I am speaking from the position of been there, done that. Best of luck, and remember to ALWAYS keep your cool, or you can get sucked into a trap that is set for you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thank you and yes you are correct she is using everything she can as leverage to try and demand more money. she lied in court etc.. to try and get me Brady disqualified, fortunately the judge dismissed it. some of the stuff is so absurd that it is now entertainment.

I highly recommend that you shut your pie-hole and stop talking about the details on the internet. Otherwise, I expect the mods to receive a request in a few months that goes something like this:

"Dear Mods, I said some things in public that my lawyer wants me to remove. Can you please delete the following posts..."

Ask me how I know.

If you absolutely must post about it anyway, stick only to the question and leave out all of the details. They're not relevant to the question and they'll only bite you in the ass later on.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I highly recommend that you shut your pie-hole and stop talking about the details on the internet. Otherwise, I expect the mods to receive a request in a few months that goes something like this:

"Dear Mods, I said some things in public that my lawyer wants me to remove. Can you please delete the following posts..."

Ask me how I know.

If you absolutely must post about it anyway, stick only to the question and leave out all of the details. They're not relevant to the question and they'll only bite you in the ass later on.

How do you know...

Yeah, how do you know?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How do you know...

Yeah, how do you know?

Because as a mod, I was on the receiving end of those requests at least a dozen times. The pattern is always the same. "Blah blah blah shes a lying whore blah blah blah..." Two months later: "Err...I dun goofed up and now I'm about to lose everything. My law-talkin' dude says I should have listened when they told me to clam up. Can you save me from myself?"

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Because as a mod, I was on the receiving end of those requests at least a dozen times. The pattern is always the same. "Blah blah blah shes a lying whore blah blah blah..." Two months later: "Err...I dun goofed up and now I'm about to lose everything. My law-talkin' dude says I should have listened when they told me to clam up. Can you save me from myself?"

That is a far less entertaining story than I was hoping for. But it is essentially the story I was expecting.

I'll just reemphasize everything everyone else has said, OP...get a good lawyer and zip your lip.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If you bought the guns from FFL's/shops, they should be able to pull the paperwork and see who filled out the paperwork/purchased the firearm, but it probably won't do much good.
    They are still marital assets as mentioned above.

Be patient, and keep your cool.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Ask me how I know.

Wouldn't that future task be made easier if you hadn't of quoted one his posts in yours?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It seems like if we're going to have to fill out a 4473, it should be good for something​.

If you can find confirmation that they were bought in your name, fine, but don't expect that to be the end of the story as far as how they are handled in the divorce.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom