• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I just finished my pistol range and am thinking of getting some Bobcat steel targets. How close can you be to the target and still be safe? I haveonly shot a steel target once and was about 150 yards away. I would like to shoot handguns as close as possible. .357 magnum is probably the most powerful I would be shooting. Also some 9mm, 40 S&W, and .22 rimfire.

Is there anything else I should consider shooting at steel versus paper?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If they are angled down I would shoot them from 10' but I've been know to not wear eye pro too.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Go to Sinterfire.com They have video of shooting their ammunition within 1" inch of the target including shotguns and rifles. Pretty cool to watch. They are also on youtube. do a search on sinterfire.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    From IPSC Handgun Competition Rules, USPSA Version January 2004:
    2.1.3 Minimum Distances – Whenever metal targets are used in a course of fire, precautions must be taken so that competitors and match officials maintain a minimum distance of 7 meters (22.96 feet) from them while they are being shot. Where possible, this should be done with physical barriers. If Charge Lines are used to limit the approach to metal targets, they must be placed at least 8 meters (26.25 feet) from the targets so that the competitor may inadvertently fault the line and still be outside the 7 meter (22.96 feet) minimum distance.

From IPSC Rifle Competition Rules, USPSA Version January 2004:

2.1.3 Minimum Distances – Whenever metal targets are used in a course of fire, precautions must be taken so that competitors and match officials maintain a minimum distance of 50 meters (164.04 feet) from them while they are being shot. Where possible, this should be done with physical barriers. If Charge Lines are used to limit the approach to metal targets, they must be placed at least 55 meters (180.45 feet) from the targets so that the competitor may inadvertently fault the line and still be outside the 50 meter (164.04 feet) minimum distance.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just finished my pistol range and am thinking of getting some Bobcat steel targets.

Since you're in Brown County you should contact lovemywoods. He uses Bobcat Steel on his private range. We generally shoot handguns from 7 yards and out. Right now we only shoot rifles at long distance. Once we get some 30 degree angled stands we'll start shooting rifles at 10 yards and out.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Ive shot mild steel as close as 5 feet but that was with lead not jacketed. I do suggest eye protection though, .45 still tends to send some shrapnel off but 9mm was fine. I also do not suggest jacketed at this distance

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Well, I was shooting steel as close as about 3-4 yards yesterday with a .22LR during a drill. I literally blew a bowling pin target off it's chain at about 5 yards yesterday with my 1911 in .45. There are suspicions that I may have actually hit the mount at the TOP of the target and not the target itself though.

Neither of these situations produced any noticeable back splatter. But then I angle my targets slightly (about 3-7degrees) from direction of fire.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ihave done 5 yards yards a few times and got tagged by some spray. The steel pivots some on a steel bolt and has a spring on that bolt as well, which makes it about as safe as possible. I only shoot them from 7 yards or more. I also only use lead bullets. Never jacketed rounds.

If it's closer than 7 yards, I use paper. It's rare I ever shoot that close anyway so not really an issue.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    I guess I'm a wimp, I don't put steel any closer than 15 yards, even then get splatter. Rules I've usually heard are 15-18, that's where I had 'em for the White match this past weekend at Red Brush,even then, had splatter coming back to behind the line.

For anything closer, I use, more power to you guys shooting it closer, please wear eye protection.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive shot 9mm and 45 @ bobcat steel from 5-7yds. i have not tried any magnums on my steel butid say with 357/44 you would be good at 15-25yds. always wear eye protection. i have been hit with frag at 7 yds but it will only hurt if it hits your eye

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    ive shot 9mm and 45 @ bobcat steel from 5-7yds. i have not tried any magnums on my steel butid say with 357/44 you would be good at 15-25yds. always wear eye protection. i have been hit with frag at 7 yds but it will only hurt if it hits your eye

^^^ this is my experience also.

Top Bottom