• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I'm wondering if this is why "Iced Coffee" made it main stream.

I don't think so. I find cold brewed coffee to be really good. It cuts down on the acidity/bitterness that hot coffee has and in my opinion, gets people drinking coffee that wouldn't drink it otherwise.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy

He's entitled to sue if 700 other people have been hit by flying hot dogs or if nobody else throws things into the stands I guess.

Like always though, if he collects, you can guarantee that will pretty much put an end to ALL freebies and such thrown out to crowds in the future. As usual, the stupidity of one dumb@ss ruins it for people that actually have common sense, just like granny placing a cup of hot coffee in her lap and taking off the lid.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Since it takes water of at least 190 degrees to PROPERLY brew coffee, are you saying that freshly made coffee should be artificially cooled immediately after brewing?

I checked my own coffee maker (Bunn A-10), and it brews at 190+ degrees, and the warmer keeps the coffee at a steady 160 degrees.
    It would burn me if I spilled it on myself, even at 160 degrees.

Does that mean if i spill it on myself, Bunn should pay me money?

I have spilled coffee on myself countless times and yes it is hot. I have never been burned to the bone though or had my clothes fused to my skin.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Honestly, when this lawsuit was broken by the media, I was fed the notion of frivolity and the seemingly ridiculous nature of the lawsuit bedded that notion. It seemed that after this, a legend was born of the frivolous lawsuit and many more came to be reported on as such. It pissed a lot of people off, including myself, of the type of person that just looks for a reason to sue to cash in.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by edporch
    Since it takes water of at least 190 degrees to PROPERLY brew coffee, are you saying that freshly made coffee should be artificially cooled immediately after brewing?

I checked my own coffee maker (Bunn A-10), and it brews at 190+ degrees, and the warmer keeps the coffee at a steady 160 degrees.

I have spilled coffee on myself countless times and yes it is hot. I have never been burned to the bone though or had my clothes fused to my skin.

I've spilled hot coffee on myself too.
    But when I get hot coffee at a drive-up window in a car, I know I'm in an immobile position with a flexible throw-away cup and NEVER hold it between my legs, because IF I spill it on myself, I know I can't move and will get burned badly.

I consider this person dumb enough to hold a throw-away cup of hot coffee between their legs as the negligent one.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN

195-205 F is considered optimal if anyone is paying attention. But you don't serve it at that temperature, nor are you meant to serve it at 160. I'm surprised that your coffee machine maintains that temperature. Even so it's much lower than the 180-190 in question.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    195-205 F is considered optimal if anyone is paying attention. But you don't serve it at that temperature, nor are you meant to serve it at 160. I'm surprised that your coffee machine maintains that temperature. Even so it's much lower than the 180-190 in question.

So, what is the optimal temp coffee should be held and served?

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    So, what is the optimal temp coffee should be held and served?

Coffee should not be "held" at any temperature. Coffee should be prepared immediately prior to consumption. I've never measured my coffee immediately before drinking it, but I'd guess it's close to 130-135. Certainly not the 180-190 in the McDonald's case.

All this assumes that you actually care how your coffee tastes and are brewing with fresh beans that are ground immediately before brewing properly. If you're just dumping Folgers into a $10 Mr. Coffee go ahead and cook that dirtwater as long as you like. It's not as if there is any decent flavor to it in the first place.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Basic principle: I am responsible for my actions.

I fight for money. I take the consequences for concussions, not the fight organizers.

I play football for money. I take the consequences for the concussions, not the team or league.

I use tobacco. I take responsibility for cancer, not the tobacco companies.

I buy a car and decline to use seat belts. I am responsible for going through the windshield, not the auto manufacturer.

I eat at fast food restaurants. I am responsible for weight gain and high cholesterol, not the restaurant.

I drink 32oz sweetened carbonated soft drinks. I am responsible for weight gain, not the shop selling the drink.

I break into a private home. I am responsible for injuries done by 00 buckshot, not the shooter.

I buy a house on the outer banks. I am responsible for repairs after a hurricane, not the government.

I buy a house in a known flood zone. I am responsible for the repairs after the flood, not the developer.

In all of these instances we can find extenuating circumstances to justify asking the someone else to pay me for an injury I have received. I can always find some way to blame someone else for my actions. It is easy, especially if I pull on the heartstrings of the reader or jury. Pulling on the heartstrings of the jury is the favorite strategy of personal injury lawyers. This tactic makes the jury want to help the injured party. They then look for whoever is involved that has the resources to compensate for the injury. Responsibility no longer matters. The jury simply wants to help the injured, and sees that the service provider, company or insurance company has the resources to pay for the damages.

It is easy to be generous with other people's money. Folks feel sorry for the little old lady who burned her crotch, so they give her money from a rich company. If they had to pay the money from their own resources, their decision would be different.

Personal responsibility is different from compassion. In all the instances cited above, the individual is responsible for their own actions. Compassionate people want to help, but they do not want to use their own funds; so they use someone else's money.

Compassion assistance should not replace personal responsibility. Compassion assistance should be paid by the compassionate themselves, not by the one with the deepest pockets.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

Coffee should not be "held" at any temperature. Coffee should be prepared immediately prior to consumption. I've never measured my coffee immediately before drinking it, but I'd guess it's close to 130-135. Certainly not the 180-190 in the McDonald's case.

Call me stupid if you want (I've been called worse :): ), but if it should be brewed between 195 and 205 yet consumed at a lower temperature how is it served immediately after brewing without holding for some time?? Not trying to be a jerk I'm just really not understanding the temp difference here.

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Call me stupid if you want (I've been called worse :): ), but if it should be brewed between 195 and 205 yet consumed at a lower temperature how is it served immediately after brewing without holding for some time?? Not trying to be a jerk I'm just really not understanding the temp difference here.

That's not a stupid question at all. By "immediately" I don't mean "literally brew into your mouth," but "cup and serve as soon as it has cooled enough to be comfortably drinkable." It generally doesn't take long at all. Maybe a couple of minutes with the Clever Coffee Dripper or slightly longer with immersion methods like a press pot. By "immediately" I was criticizing the practice of brewing coffee onto a hot plate and letting it sit while the external heat ruins it.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People who still blame Liebeck for spilling scaldingly hot coffee on herself are the same kind of people who would blame a driver for getting into a 1979 Ford Pinto and accidentally backing into a pole at 10 MPH, bursting the fuel tank open, setting the car on fire, and burning to death. Should have known better than to reverse in that make/model/year of automobile. It was a well-known risk. Since they did it, they assume all the responsibility of their actions and Ford Motor Company is blameless.

The fact is, there are safety standards for corporate behaviour, and when they behave outside of those standards, they do become liable for other people's accidents that cause them harm. Liebeck was not a pair of rednecks holding a push mower sideways to trim some bushes.

And it's the height of BS to claim that good coffee has to be disfiguringly, scaldingly hot. The McDonalds in question had a laundry list of county health code violations specificly about the dangerously high temperature of their coffee going back years. They chose to disregard the county health code citations, therefore they chose to assume the responsibility for 3rd degree crotch burns if someone accidentally spilled it on themselves. The reasons given for their ignoring customer safety with the temperature of their coffee was not because it was of such a high grade. It was because it was such a low grade. They wanted to force people who bought it, mostly commuters, to be miles down the road before they would be able to taste how horrible it was to reduce the incidents of angry customers complaining about their crappy coffee their employees would have to deal with.

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    People who still blame Liebeck for spilling scaldingly hot coffee on herself are the same kind of people who would blame a driver for getting into a 1979 Ford Pinto and accidentally backing into a pole at 10 MPH, bursting the fuel tank open, setting the car on fire, and burning to death. Should have known better than to reverse in that make/model/year of automobile. It was a well-known risk. Since they did it, they assume all the responsibility of their actions and Ford Motor Company is blameless.

The fact is, there are safety standards for corporate behaviour and when they behave outside of those standards, they do become liable for other people's accidents that cause them harm. Liebeck was not a pair of rednecks holding a push mower sideways to trim some pushes.

You're right, but you'll never convince the victim blamers.

And it's the height of BS to claim that good coffee has to be disfiguringly, scaldingly hot.

And also to claim that McDonald's serves good coffee. Their stuff is awful.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy

All this assumes that you actually care how your coffee tastes and are brewing with fresh beans that are ground immediately before brewing properly. If you're just dumping Folgers into a $10 Mr. Coffee go ahead and cook that dirtwater as long as you like. It's not as if there is any decent flavor to it in the first place.

LMAO at the idea of serving coffee a 130-135.

You want a hint? Coffee is being served at 175-180 at most places today.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    CathyInBlue said:
    And it's the height of BS to claim that good coffee has to be disfiguringly, scaldingly hot. The McDonalds in question had a laundry list of county health code violations specificly about the dangerously high temperature of their coffee going back years. They chose to disregard the county health code citations, therefore they chose to assume the responsibility for 3rd degree crotch burns if someone accidentally spilled it on themselves. The reasons given for their ignoring customer safety with the temperature of their coffee was not because it was of such a high grade. It was because it was such a low grade. They wanted to force people who bought it, mostly commuters, to be miles down the road before they would be able to taste how horrible it was to reduce the incidents of angry customers complaining about their crappy coffee their employees would have to deal with.

Do you have actual proof of this or just pulling it out of your behind?

If the people as a whole disliked their coffee so much, it's only a matter of time before people would quit buying it.

The lady got the ridicule she deserved.

Top Bottom