• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I purchased a Hornady digital scale back in 2015. Loaded up a couple hundred rounds and life happened. Did not shoot or reload for a couple years. Started back in a few weeks ago. As I was letting my scale warm up I read over the instructions again it said that the scale is more accurate with the plastic cover on over the scale area. I never used the cover before because you have to remove it to get the powder pan back out to pour out the charge you just weighed. I got curious and decided to test this. With the cover off I got consecutive readings of 5.7. Reweighing the same charges with the cover I weighed 5.3 to 5.4. Not a huge deal as the powder I am using has a start load of 5.0 and max load of 6.0 according to Hodgdon. But, I have a pound of Titegroup and I would be nervous loading at the top and getting an overcharge. So, I then got even more curious as to which was right. I pulled out my beam scale and did a new charge and weighed on the Hornady and got basically the same results. The beam came in at the 5.7. I called Hornady and they said they would expect deviation to be no more than .1 grain +/- not .3. They asked some questions and I told them I did have the scale plugged into a power strip. He told me that this could possibly be the culprit. I will be testing that soon to see if it makes a difference. Anyone find anything similar?

In addition, the rep at Hornady said if I did not find the strip caused this that they would repair or replace my scale even though my warranty was out in 2016. Kudos to their customer service.

hornlanl.jpg

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    My guess is that the cover has a static charge on it that is deflecting the tray the powder is in.
    Just a guess.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Also have that scale and it sets boxed up in the cabinet, IIRC I lost trust in it. Have read this scale is susceptible to influence from fluorescent lighting.

Top Bottom