• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Okay, someone tell me if this bad or if I am just doin something wrong. I go to dicks last night and by the Hoppes pistol cleaning kit and box of ammo. I put the bag into the truck with the kit laying flat on the ground. Come back a few hours later from shoe shopping (wife's b-day) and the truck smells like solvent. Wife picks bag up and bag is full of solvent leaking out everywhere. We blame a loose cap and take it back into Dicks who refunded my money on the kit but put the ammo back in another bag even though the box was soaked. This morning before work I run into walmart and just buy a bottle of solvent off of the shelf. Put the bag in the trunk of my car and go to work, 9 hours later the car smells like Hoppes and this bottle to has leaked out .What gives? Am i doing something wrong? Should these bottles not be laid on their sides? This is the first time I have bought Hoppes, i really want to try it but can't seem to keep any around.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    no i have this same friggin problem and it pisses me off. only it happens to me with the oil. not the solvent. its not you its hoppes. i had a bottle of their oil leak all over everything i have sitting up. good luck. its good cleaner but i hate the cheap bottles they use

davman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    thanks for the feedback guys. i can sleep easier knowing it wasn't something i was doing wrong. I still plan to try it out, just got to keep from wasting it all the time.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've had it happen with most bottles I've picked up. Seems like the little bottles in the cleaning kits were the worst for me.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I've had that happen too. Maybe the heat in the vehicle makes the solvent thinner or causes the bottle to expand a little??

If the Hoppes got any ammo wet, be careful using it. Hoppes solvent can penetrate the primers and foul the powder in the cartridge.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Happened to me too, just have to keep it upright. Infact now i keep all my cleaning stuff in a seperate container then my other gun stupp(ie. ammo,holsters and extra parts) Love Hoppes but don't like there bottles. Even their oil in the orange squeeze bottle leaks placed on there side.. But the Remington silicone oil keeps it's liquid in pretty darn good.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Have a buddy who had a bottle of Hoppe’s #9 Solvent leak in the trunk of his brand new Chevy Camaro this year. I’ve also had bottles of this stuff tip over under my bathroom sink and leak. Good thing I enjoy the smell.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Have a buddy who had a bottle of Hoppe’s #9 Solvent leak in the trunk of his brand new Chevy Camaro this year. I’ve also had bottles of this stuff tip over under my bathroom sink and leak. Good thing I enjoy the smell.
    Funny,, I just told my step-son I really like the smell of Hoppe's as he was cleaning his guns. Hmmm gives me an idea,, HOPPE'S AIR FRESHENER for cars. :rockwoot: I've always liked that smell. Maybe I'm just weird like that ! lol

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    Same thing happened to me about three weeks ago. Bought solvent from Dick's and leaked on my front seat. Kinda worked out though between that and the cigarette smoke my truck smelled like banana bread somehow.

Rockhound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Had this problem for years/decades with all brands of gun cleaning solvents. Even with a tight screw on lid on a glass container, they will wick.:rolleyes: I attribute that to the inexpensive coated cardboard lid seal.

I keep mine in a small steel toolbox with a shop towel folded up on the bottom to absorb leaks. The bottles are 'trapped' upright with other stuff so they can't tip over. (An ammo can would work, too.) Keeping the stuff in a sealable box also keeps the odors down (peeee yew!) and allows the cleaning kit to be stored inside or carried in the vehicle without stinking up the place. :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum.. maybe I'm slow granted I've never bought a bottle of hoppes but are you guys not keeping the bottle uprights? is that why they are leaking? I keep my cleaning products upright be it if they are new, used, open or closed. :dunno:

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS

The next MEET & SHOOT is for OCT (go & vote on the date!)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...10047-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_oct_date.html

Appleseed is coming to NWI on 23 OCT 2010
    2010 North Porter County, IN Appleseed Information

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

On finding a location for more Appleseeds:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Interested in the NWI MSG
    PM Jediagh, GhostOfWinter, or Clif45 your email address to gain access to the Private Google Group

Top Bottom