• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Next he'll be filing a lawsuit for being threatened with a weapon, and intimidation. He'll be set for life....

Last edited:

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Next he'll be filing a lawsuit for being threatened with a weapon, and intimidation. He'll be set for life....

I see this type of comment a lot...I'm curious if anyone can point to any real instances of this type of lawsuit being successful ie. being detained by a homeowner during a home invasion, specifically in Indiana.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    These reports always seem to have the obligatory "but he was such a good boy" statements as this article has.

I was devastated. I couldn’t believe it and I was very shocked because I wouldn’t have expected these kinds of things from him. He was a wonderful, positive, outgoing individual who I thought was a great role model,” said Rebecca Alderton, who worked with Pino.

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I see this type of comment a lot...I'm curious if anyone can point to any real instances of this type of lawsuit being successful ie. being detained by a homeowner during a home invasion, specifically in Indiana.

Sorry, should've used the purple. My bad.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

It does raise a good point though. The IC specifically states that if you shoot some one and no criminal charges are filed against you, that there can be no civil suit brought against you. But what if you use your gun and don't shoot some one. Can they legally come back at you with a civil suit?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I can't remember if it was in Indiana or not but maybe 2 months ago I read an article where the burglar licked himself in the bathroom. He then called the cops and said he had broken in, thought there was nobody home, but soon realized the home owner had returned. He locked himself in the bathroom because the home owner had a gun.

Edit: found it, was in Oregon http://urbangrounds.com/2011/03/burglar-calling-911/

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We let sports heroes engage in child rape for decades without stopping them, what's a few burglaries...

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Just a whim.

It does raise a good point though. The IC specifically states that if you shoot some one and no criminal charges are filed against you, that there can be no civil suit brought against you. But what if you use your gun and don't shoot some one. Can they legally come back at you with a civil suit?

Anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone else for absolutely anything or sometimes it seems like for nothing at all. Winning that suit in court is another matter entirely. :twocents:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I can't remember if it was in Indiana or not but maybe 2 months ago I read an article where the burglar licked himself in the bathroom. He then called the cops and said he had broken in, thought there was nobody home, but soon realized the home owner had returned. He locked himself in the bathroom because the home owner had a gun.

Edit: found it, was in Oregon Burglar Calls 911 After Breaking into House, Afraid Homeowner Has a Gun » UrbanGrounds

So what is this some new kind of kink?:dunno:

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    "He was also wearing gloves and a black nylon mask on his head."

Either those are some huge gloves...or the perp has one small head. :)

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    That's a good reason for "loser pays" to be implemented.

Only thing I'd add would be a provision that if, in this sort of case, the losing party is the plaintiff his attorney is coliable for the restitution of those costs.

But I'm not gonna be holding my breath until I see that happen.

Top Bottom