• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm wondering if they could still charge him if he had said that he intended to shoot her. This is confusing and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well, it sounds like he may have a hard time explaining how he thought his life was in danger. Sounds to me like its right on the line, and based on what I read I think filing charges and leaving it up to a jury could be the right decision.

Also he said it accidently went off, which means he didn't fear for his life or intend to shoot her, so negligent homicide seams appropriate.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've read a couple of other versions of this story and I have to say, I'm with the prosecutors on this one. She was on the other side of the door and he was in no immediate danger. 2nd degree murder sounds about right. I imagine he'd be facing the same charges here in Indiana if it had happened here. He should have stayed on his side of the door and called the cops, not shoot through the door. This should stand as an object lesson for everyone out there.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    The thing I hate the most, is knowing how foamy-mouthed Joseph Lichterman(the author), and the "speakers at a demonstration outside the Dearborn Heights police station" got when they saw a chance to re-open the zimmerman-martin wound. They probably, secretly hope this IS racial, as do all the race-baiters.

Once again, a mother speaks of how angelic her dunk, high child is, and the violins play in the background.

I suppose we will never really know what happened, hopefully it was just an unfortunate, panic induced accident, brought on by reckless actions from a dunk, high, injured person, added to the effect of it being 430am, dark as hell, and grogginess from being awaken abruptly.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I've read a couple of other versions of this story and I have to say, I'm with the prosecutors on this one. She was on the other side of the door and he was in no immediate danger. 2nd degree murder sounds about right. I imagine he'd be facing the same charges here in Indiana if it had happened here. He should have stayed on his side of the door and called the cops, not shoot through the door. This should stand as an object lesson for everyone out there.

It was a screen door, its hardly a barrier if a shadowy figure is trying to force their way into your home.
    Just saying... I dont know what happened here, but thats a good possibility...

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    This dude is in BIG trouble!

This is filed along with many other reasons that you,

DONT OPEN THE DOOR!

Jimmy

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I love how the media made it about race, if she was on one side of the door and he was on the other then what in the hell does race have to do with it???

Yes it was a bad shoot, she was drunk and his dumb ass shot her through the damn door! He failed big time and has to deal with it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Yes it was a bad shoot, she was drunk and his dumb ass shot her through the damn door! He failed big time and has to deal with it.

Two similar cases have happened in Indiana in the last ten or so years. The most recent was a guy who got charged up in South Bend. Two college students tried to make entry into a guy's home. They wouldn't leave and he fired through the door, striking the female but not killing her. I don't think her injuries were all that serious either. Got charged, jury hung, got charged again, and was found not guilty. Another case was in Indy. State Trooper shot through the door and killed a burglar attempting to make entry into the home. State Trooper was never charged from what I recall.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I love how the media made it about race, if she was on one side of the door and he was on the other then what in the hell does race have to do with it???

It was a screen door, but it was dark out, hard to say if he could see her clearly or not.

I sure hope people will realize she was drunk, high on weed, just been in a car accident. I'm guessing she didn't have all of her faculties together. Not a good combination in the middle of the night knocking on a strangers door.

That doesn't excuse an ND, but not a good situation all around.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Two similar cases have happened in Indiana in the last ten or so years. The most recent was a guy who got charged up in South Bend. Two college students tried to make entry into a guy's home. They wouldn't leave and he fired through the door, striking the female but not killing her. I don't think her injuries were all that serious either. Got charged, jury hung, got charged again, and was found not guilty. Another case was in Indy. State Trooper shot through the door and killed a burglar attempting to make entry into the home. State Trooper was never charged from what I recall.

As always, the details of each case can make the difference. From what we're led to believe in this case, the homeowner screwed up--big time. It's sad for all involved.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Saw this story on the HLN News this morning. Wrecked car was 2 Blocks away. She was nearly 3X the alcohol limit + Weed in her system. Why did he open the Door leaving only the Screen door as a barrier???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You cannot accidentally shoot someone in self defense. Charges were filed because, if the facts are presented accurately, he killed someone with an accidental discharge while having no credible threat from that person.

Top Bottom