• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Thinking of takin the dozer and making a range on my farm. How much dirt should be piled up? Does there need to be anything else behind it(railroad ties)? Just trying to get ideas fir my winter project or right after harvest. Thanks

Ryan

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    If I offer to help out, can I get few range passes?

(I mean manual labor, I don't have the knowledge you are looking for. Sorry)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I think it depends on what calibers you plan on shooting and from what distance. 22lr from 100 yds plinking tin cans or 50 bmg from 1500 yds shooting large targets? It should be tall enough that an accidental/negligent discharge would not be likely to cause an overshoot and thick enough that many rounds fired into the same spot will not result in over-penetration. In general, if it's tall enough it's probably thick enough. For short range, low power stuff I would want a minimum of twice the height of my tallest intended target. For longer range higher powered stuff I would probably try for three times the height of my tallest intended target.

I also suggest Googling it. There's tons of info out there on building your own range, including soil composition, height, dealing with hot spots, mound erosion, etc.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I think something like the pic below would be easy to do. Just make sure both the firing line and backstop is 300 feet away from any residential structures or you might get some nitpickers trying to say you're in violation.

Most amazing home shooting range I've ever seen (yet to see it in person) was done by LoveMyWoods and ESRice.
    Here's his range... /drool

More home ranges with Pics

rangeview.jpg

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The range at the Danville Conservaton Club has a berm about 20' tall (I'd guess) and a good 20-30' deep (again, I'd guess). Wide enough at the top to drive a dozer over, no problem.

Their 50 yard berm is maybe 8' tall x 10' wide x 10' deep. Seems to stop about everything.

Dense dirt (clay or sand) will work better than topsoil. Rocks are "bad" (ricochets). MinuteMan47 has the right idea! I envy you guys.....

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Awesome idea. Just be aware of what may happen if you go to sell the property. I have been doing a lot of research concerning opening an indoor firing range. Luckily my plan is to use metal targets and only lead free frangible ammunition. It appears from my research the EPA is going to eventually mandate all indoor and outdoor firing ranges use lead free ammunition.

Indoor: because of the high rates of lead in both employees and customers even with the ventilation systems in place. Also the lead in the backstops.

Outdoor: Outdoor ranges are getting close scrutiny because of the lead eventually leaching into the soil/water supply. I have read report after report suggesting all outdoor ranges use backstops to collect the lead or use lead free ammunition. With the increasing availability of the lead free ammunition I do not see this as far off.

In regards to private property I heard of a local person who went to sell his property and because of the homemade shooting range the potential buyer wanted a phase I environmental done or have the owner totally excavate and remove the dirt in and around the backstop.

If you are never going to get rid of your property then who cares. And just for the record I would love to get some property some day and put in a range like the ones in this thread. Awesome job!

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Forgot to add. I have also seen suggestions that land owners with private/personal use ranges obtain additional insurance for any accidents or flyoffs into adjacent property. The insurance industry would be all for this I am sure. I have only see reports and suggestions on the subject. Nothing formal.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Bioavailibility of lead in outdoor range situations is almost nil. Reaching the water supply? Hogwash. The EPA has already said they do not have the legal authority to regulate ammunition. I personally can't see them going after outdoor ranges for lead after making that statement.

Indoor is another story.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    we had a range at our old farm... it was like 50 yards long, and we just had a small berm at the one end... it also served as our compost heap... iirc, it was 6 feet tall and 10 feet wide and 8 feet deep. it prolly wasn't enough, but I want to get one of those hollowed out hill ones up there...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The excellent thing about a home range, as evidenced in the pictures in this thread alone, is that you can make it as big or little as you'd like, or as budget allows.

A big pile of dirt in the middle of your yard? Yep, that works!
    The side of a hill dug out? Yep, that works too!
    A 360 degree 20' berm with state-of-the-art rotating steel targets? Why not!

A few things to consider:

• Safety - Your BIGGEST concern. This can be somewhat dependent on what type of shooting you're doing. But whatever the case, know your backstop and what is beyond it. Three sides are ideal, but 1 can work. Your goal here is to contain and stop EVERY bullet that is fired.
    • Noise - Shooting is a loud activity, so make sure you do it where no neighbors will mind.
    • Proximity - Goes hand-in-hand with noise. Best to keep away from other people and their property.
    • Composition - I've heard of guys using all different types of materials for their berms-- everything from chopped up rubber tires to railroad ties to fill dirt. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it DOES need to stop bullets (all of them).
    No matter what you decide on, you'll absolutely LOVE having your own range. When you read thread after thread about guys running out of places to shoot their ARs, or paying for yearly memberships that often involve a laundry list of silly rules, you'll really start to understand just how blessed you are to be able to shoot what you want and when you want. :ingo:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I don't have any problems with surrounding neighbors. The direction I'm going to go it will go off into my woods. I've got 160 acres. 77 tillable and rest in woods. Thinking if using some old rail road ties to help build up with and wall it in a little.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bioavailibility of lead in outdoor range situations is almost nil. Reaching the water supply? Hogwash. The EPA has already said they do not have the legal authority to regulate ammunition. I personally can't see them going after outdoor ranges for lead after making that statement.

Indoor is another story.

Let's hope so. I was just pointing out what I had read. I think it is all hogwash as well but it is the EPA.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Yeah I'm wanting someplace to shoot my ar. Can shoot behind the house but I live on a highway and don't want attention drawn. I just have to get the time this winter to make it the way I want it. Some fuel and the dozer will make whatever I need.

:welcome:
    The excellent thing about a home range, as evidenced in the pictures in this thread alone, is that you can make it as big or little as you'd like, or as budget allows.

A big pile of dirt in the middle of your yard? Yep, that works!
    The side of a hill dug out? Yep, that works too!
    A 360 degree 20' berm with state-of-the-art rotating steel targets? Why not!

A few things to consider:

• Safety - Your BIGGEST concern. This can be somewhat dependent on what type of shooting you're doing. But whatever the case, know your backstop and what is beyond it. Three sides are ideal, but 1 can work. Your goal here is to contain and stop EVERY bullet that is fired.
    • Noise - Shooting is a loud activity, so make sure you do it where no neighbors will mind.
    • Proximity - Goes hand-in-hand with noise. Best to keep away from other people and their property.
    • Composition - I've heard of guys using all different types of materials for their berms-- everything from chopped up rubber tires to railroad ties to fill dirt. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it DOES need to stop bullets (all of them).
    No matter what you decide on, you'll absolutely LOVE having your own range. When you read thread after thread about guys running out of places to shoot their ARs, or paying for yearly memberships that often involve a laundry list of silly rules, you'll really start to understand just how blessed you are to be able to shoot what you want and when you want. :ingo:

Top Bottom