• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    With all the home invasions and robberies on the news lately, it got me thinking about some other things I could do to be more prepared. For one I could invest in a alarm system. Or to help prevent unwelcome visitors at night i could beef up my outside lighting. Anyways If you all have some ideas or things that you do please post them.

Here is a link to some statistics on home invasion
    Home Invasion Statistics | SuperTips by Superpages.com

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Harden the entry points to start with. This would include adding strong wrought iron security doors, or at least some sturdy metal security doors they sell at Lowes/Home Depot. Make sure they have a dead bolt. With the interior wood/metal doors, harden them as well. This means adding metal strike plates and better deadbolts. Here are some links to what I am talking about:

Sure Strike makes deadbolts dead-on — adjustable deadbolt strike plate for door security and alignment

Door Jam Armor Makes Your Door Kick Proof

DOOR KICK-IN PROTECTION - Door Security Products ***** Front door Security ***** Stop kick ins ***** Doors

The Best in Door Security, Door Repair, Jamb Reinforcement, Home Security and Kick Proof Doors

Once you harden the actual door, think about devices that you can use while you are inside your home to give additional protection. This would include security sticks. Some of the companies above sell them, or you can usually find them at Walmart/Home Depot/Etc..

Once your doors are taken care of, look at your windows. In addition to your standard window locks, most newer windows have little anti-open tabs that allow the person to open the window a few inches, but when engaged, prevent someone on the other side from pushing the window completely open. Have these tabs set so they always prevent the complete opening of the window. The ultimate would be security film, which can usually take a regular glass window and cause it to be able to withstand multiple hits from a sledge hammer.

Your best bet though is an alarm. The panels also include "ambush" or "panic" buttons. Not only does it notify the company, it also turns on that very loud siren, just like you see on the TV commercials. Make sure you put your stickers on all windows and doors. Alarms are neat because they can be set with motion sensors off, but still provide perimeter sensing capability. So, if you know you are in for the night, you can set the motions off until you go to bed, but still have the system armed so if someone comes through a door, it triggers the system.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Protection trained Belgium Malinois and Czech import German Shepherd. If you can get through the door and are still standing after 60 seconds, you can have everything I have, because I have nothing else that could stop you (maybe :) ).

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    if you get through the door you most likely will not get much further if i'm home. the 20 guage is always at the ready and the .40 isn't far behind. i like the alarm, and plan to get one, but nothing will be better than preparing your thoughts and actions for such an instance. alarms call the police which takes time, sirens will prohibit you and everyone else from being able to confront the situation by taking away your hearing, dogs don't always react the way you wish them to and can be taken down with a shot. so, you are your best defense. stay calm and shoot straight!

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Home alarms are a good start.
    I suspect that most let you know of an intrusion prior to sounding off. Mine would.
    A key point to me is having an extremely loud horn on the inside of the house.
    Loud enough to almost break windows.
    I would know at which point the entry was made and
    greet them as they cover their ears.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom