• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    If you stand around a gun counter long enough, someone will walk in and ask the so-called “expert” behind the counter, “What is the best thing for home defense?” Without missing a beat the answer usually is, “buy yourself X brand of shotgun, you can’t miss.” At this point, I usually leave said store because I can’t stand hearing sewage like this spewed at uneducated buyers.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Solid article... Now I have something to suggest as reading material to those whom "spew" ignorance around or genuinely have a question.

Thanks for the link!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Interesting article. I recently made the conceptual switch from shotgun/sidearm to ar/sidearm. I started a thread a while back tho where some serious shotgunners made some correct points which were highlighted in this article about the small patterns of buck shot etc. I think the key point of the article is that shotgun is difficult to master.

Looking from tom a noob point of view though, what do you tell them to get? This is what I say; if you are going to spend minimal time practicing, get a revolver and a pump shotgun for no other reason than I think they are the simplistic to make a bang with. If you are willing to train, get an AR and a pistol. And I guess if you are willing to put in the hours to master the tactical shotty, that's a good option for you too. I know a lot of people that just want "something by my bed" we all know they need to train, but if it's obvious they won't train hard enough to master anything, what gun do you recommend they get?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Interesting article. I recently made the conceptual switch from shotgun/sidearm to ar/sidearm. I started a thread a while back tho where some serious shotgunners made some correct points which were highlighted in this article about the small patterns of buck shot etc. I think the key point of the article is that shotgun is difficult to master.

Looking from tom a noob point of view though, what do you tell them to get? This is what I say; if you are going to spend minimal time practicing, get a revolver and a pump shotgun for no other reason than I think they are the simplistic to make a bang with. If you are willing to train, get an AR and a pistol. And I guess if you are willing to put in the hours to master the tactical shotty, that's a good option for you too. I know a lot of people that just want "something by my bed" we all know they need to train, but if it's obvious they won't train hard enough to master anything, what gun do you recommend they get?

A good home alarm and a baseball bat.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

This article may be an improvement over the ever-popular "just rack the gun to scare the bad guys away," but it's still so gear-centric. The shotgun is a complicated weapon, and certain skills require fine-motor movements in times of stress -- just when blood has drained from your extremities, making doing things with finger tips difficult. I'd like to see people take their time to choose the right load for the right distance and target when they're getting shot at, and then load the shell. After doing a Gunsite course on the defensive shotgun, I still feel more confident with the pistol.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I know Denny already answered this but I'll ask again for everyone else...

Someone walks into the gun store and you are the clerk. They have never shot ANY gun before, and want something purely for home defense, not to carry. They have no intention of actually training with the thing. They are just going to leave it unchambered (for safety) somewhere in the house.

Question: What do you recommend to this person?

By the way... I see this scenario on a daily basis.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I know a business owner who got one of those "judge" revolvers loaded with 410 buckshot as a "cash register" gun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Someone walks into the gun store and you are the clerk. They have never shot ANY gun before, and want something purely for home defense, not to carry. They have no intention of actually training with the thing. They are just going to leave it unchambered (for safety) somewhere in the house.

As much as I don't like this answer, for that person who you are talking about, the one who will stick it by the bedside and never practice with it, I am going to say a full size revolver. Easy to use, fairly accurate, fairly powerful, can sit loaded for long periods of time, again not what I would carry or use but for this specific situation, which lets face it is very common, this is what I would say.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And this is almost always my response to them as well. Sturdy (not airweight) revolver or 20 ga with buckshot.

Curious, if they are clear that they have no intention of do ANY training/familiarization with what they are about to buy, why would a gun be even considered? I would argue that person possessing a firearm (who intents to use it) who has never fired one or trained with one is actually LESS SAFE than a person who owns no firearms at all.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

how are they dressed? do i know what kind of car they drive?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Curious, if they are clear that they have no intention of do ANY training/familiarization with what they are about to buy, why would a gun be even considered? I would argue that person possessing a firearm (who intents to use it) who has never fired one or trained with one is actually LESS SAFE than a person who owns no firearms at all.

Because in this hypothetical you work in a gun store and will get fired if you talk people out of buying a gun. Good point though.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

You do the person a huge favor and let them know that this is not a wise plan.
    You encourage them to take some firearm class or classes to actually learn what would work for them.
    This would be much better than offering them the false sense of security that a shotgun would provide.

Then if that didn't work. I'd recommend a 38 revolver.

Top Bottom