Home Alarm System sticker/sign thoughts......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So best to advertise an alarm system? If so, how?

• Total voters

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So the other Home Alarm System thread got me thinking about alarms and "deterrent" signs/stickers.

Post up the good ones you've seen if you want. I'm still on the fence about signage.

I'm about to have ADT come out and put in a system at our new house and I know they have the little ADT stickers but I want to see if I can find somewhere that will print up something like the one I just whipped up.

ThisHouseProtectedByIndySSD.jpg

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm a big fan of letting people know I have an alarm. Nothing fancy but the default stickers do the trick. My logic is very simple . . . my house is alarmed so go to rob my neighbor instead.

Same reason I let delivery people see the big dog. Let them know that there are 'softer' targets down the block.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    i use the cameras that are outside, the dog leash and poop as another clue...

Yeah, I'm not advertising the cameras. I don't want them to know they're on candid camera because then they might go digging through the house for the DVR and find more than what they started out looking for.

I'm a big fan of letting people know I have an alarm. Nothing fancy but the default stickers do the trick. My logic is very simple . . . my house is alarmed so go to rob my neighbor instead.

Same reason I let delivery people see the big dog. Let them know that there are 'softer' targets down the block.

I like your style. I just think that in Indy our criminals might be a little less subtle and need more obvious clues that they might wind up leaving with more holes than they entered with than up where you're at. I could be wrong though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Perhaps I should clarify, I have alarm stickers on all sides of my house, on the garage, on every entry door, patio door, and several windows. Its not subtle. When your alarm is installed ask for a dozen extra stickers.

As for the cameras, they are a deterent. Your goal is not to get robbed. Anything you can do to send them to a different house is good.

Plant some Barberry and Rose bushes under easy to access windows too. The Barberry are particularly attractive but you don't ever want to climb through one. Again, make it attractive to find a new target.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I like signs. But even though the firearm signs might come off as threatening. They still advertise that there are firearms in the house. That has to be one sought after theft item. Thieves are smarter than given credit for.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Perhaps I should clarify, I have alarm stickers on all sides of my house, on the garage, on every entry door, patio door, and several windows. Its not subtle. When your alarm is installed ask for a dozen extra stickers.

As for the cameras, they are a deterent. Your goal is not to get robbed. Anything you can do to send them to a different house is good.

Plant some Barberry and Rose bushes under easy to access windows too. The Barberry are particularly attractive but you don't ever want to climb through one. Again, make it attractive to find a new target.

Good ideas, especially about the windows and stickers.

My cameras aren't hidden, the DVR is. If someone puts in enough effort to scope out my cameras then they are probably going to get what's inside.

I like signs. But even though the firearm signs might come off as threatening. They still advertise that there are firearms in the house. That has to be one sought after theft item. Thieves are smarter than given credit for.

This is another great point about the "aggressive" signage.

Keep em coming, pro's con's, whatever.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have ADT signs from the previous owner. A bit of a deterrent, I guess. My wife bought me a "Protected by Smith and Wesson" sign for fun. It is on the side door to the garage. Can't see it until you are already trespassing.

Every layer helps. Signs, motion lights, cameras, fences, locks, alarms, dogs, and a well-armed momma bear protecting her cub (never mind me, don't cross HER).

What's the old joke? You don't have to out run the bear. Just out run your friend. I just need to be the most risky mark on the block. For those that would target me personally, the only deterrent is threat of force.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    So the other Home Alarm System thread got me thinking about alarms and "deterrent" signs/stickers.

Post up the good ones you've seen if you want. I'm still on the fence about signage.

I'm about to have ADT come out and put in a system at our new house and I know they have the little ADT stickers but I want to see if I can find somewhere that will print up something like the one I just whipped up.

ThisHouseProtectedByIndySSD.jpg

Yeah, the bravado inherent in such I-have-a-gun-and-I'll-shoot-you declarations has some visceral appeal to me, but, in the end, I prefer not to advertise myself or my guns. Especially, I would desire to avoid slogans which could be interpreted as a provocation, threat or general challenge to others.

I suppose this has more to say about me (or you), than about any "rightness" or "wrongness" of the issue, though. Simply, I prefer to go about my security in a more discreet, though no less determined, fashion.

But the idea of a monitored alarm system (complete with standard signage), I think, is excellent. :)

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I leave my dogs leash out as well and her large piles. I've seen some activity on eBay selling ADT yard signs and stickers. That might be worth looking into. One of my neighbors gave me a beware of dog sign to put up. He said I needed one if ever someone broke into the house and my dog bit them. Liability concerns. I've never heard d that but if a person can sue you for shooting them (and they live) while breaking in, I guess it makes sense. I'll end up having an alarm put in just for the peace of mind.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I may or may not have an alarm system and may or may not have some signage indicating the presence of one, but I was under the impression that if you had one (an alarm system), you were required to display some sort of signage to that effect.

I guess this is my way of asking if this rumor told to me long ago is accurate.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I may or may not have an alarm system and may or may not have some signage indicating the presence of one, but I was under the impression that if you had one (an alarm system), you were required to display some sort of signage to that effect.

I guess this is my way of asking if this rumor told to me long ago is accurate.

I've never heard that.... Maybe a local ordinance or something?

All of my family may or may not have an alarm, and may or may not display any signage.;)

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I know that up on the north side when we do work in homes up there they have to have an alarm permit number posted in the front door, but I'm not sure if they have to have signage visible from the street.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    the permit is supposed to be displayed only if it is monitored. (its a little yellow see thru sticer)

i wouldnt put it up personally. let them get in adn get caught if im not home.

Top Bottom