• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I'm looking for a holster for IWB concealed carry. I'm not too familiar with what's all on the market because this is my first holster. I've been told that with some of "supertuck style" holsters that it's harder to take on or off, but more comfortable and that the perk to having a holster with just one clip is that it's easier to take off and on, but also not as comfortable. So if this is the case...then I'd like the have one of each. I figured I could use the "supertuck style" holster for all day use and I'd like the one clip holster if I'm just running to the store or making a short trip then back home. I found a few, if you could tell me what you think about them or if you recommend a different one then please let me know. Any advice is much appreciated! I'd hate to buy one of each just to know which is best! Your opinion matters! The holster will conceal a Glock 26.

Short term carry (to the grocery store and back home)
    High Noon Public Secret seems to be the most expensive, but most comfortable and concealable.
    Don Hume Clip on IWB is the cheapest but seems bulky...
    Galco All Kydex looks like it'd be easy to conceal, but very uncomfortable.

Long term carry (carrying all day, not taking off)
    Crossbread supertuck this company seems to have a good name.
    DM Bullard Leather, duel carry looks very comfortable (maybe the most). but I don't know how comfortable I'd feel if I had to reach all the way around my back and out of sight.
    Thesis Holsters looks like crossbread
    White Hat Holsters maybe it's just me, seems a little thicker then crossbread.

Thanks for your help, Gulley

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Let me make this easy for you. Galco KingTuk. Just say yes, and thank me later. It is the best IWB holster I have ever had, and it is pretty easy to put on and get off. More comfortable than the Super Tuck. Just make sure you do like 100 draws the day you get it, because they come tight.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    My vote goes for the Highnoon Bare Asset. Great price, very comfortable, easy on/off, and no wait. I always like trying to holsters but this is one I always seem to come back to.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    My vote goes for the Highnoon Bare Asset. Great price, very comfortable, easy on/off, and no wait. I always like trying to holsters but this is one I always seem to come back to.

If had a little extra money to spend would you get the High Noon Down Under? It's the exact same product only Horsehide and no combat cut I guess you would call it. I can just tell that when it comes to holsters you get what you pay for. Like anything, spend a few extra bucks it could be more comfortable...

Question to anyone, is combat cut or no material from trigger on up more or less comfortable? No difference?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Personally, I have used the Galco Summer Comfort. Although from what I have seen, and I have a couple, any Galco is good. There are some custom holster makers out there as well.
    Galco Summer Comfort was a good choice for me, as it was very comfortable, and is easy to take on and off. It is also tight enough that you can bounce around in it without the gun falling out. Its not so tight that you cant get it out, however, I would suggest practice drawing more then a couple times in order to make sure its broken in properly. Thats just my 2 cents though and I would do that with any holster

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    So you've actually tried the Super Tuck and liked it better? This one correct?

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

It's comfortable and easy to conceal?

I just don't want to waste money is all.

I can second the Galco. I carry a full size 1911 in one, and it carries like a dream all day, but it isnt difficult to remove when I want. If you are looking to find one with more secure clips, the DeSantis has Kydex clips instead of metal, and it seems that I need to nearly remove my belt to get them off.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If had a little extra money to spend would you get the High Noon Down Under? It's the exact same product only Horsehide and no combat cut I guess you would call it. I can just tell that when it comes to holsters you get what you pay for. Like anything, spend a few extra bucks it could be more comfortable...

Question to anyone, is combat cut or no material from trigger on up more or less comfortable? No difference?

I actually have the Down Under, but in normal leather, not the horsehide. Very high quality. It has a nice thick piece of leather that seperates the slide from your skin. It is molded to your model of firearm which makes for a very good fit. It also has a piece of plastic that rides just about your sights which helps protect your sights, helps protect the leather from getting gouged by your sights, and keeps the holster opened when your gun isn't holstered. So it is VERY re-holster friendly. The Bare Asset does not have the plastic. If you draw and want to re-holster, it definitely takes two hands and isn't quite as easy as a simple re-holster. If you have the money, it is definitely a lot nicer.

The only negative to the Down Under is this: I'm not necessarily a big guy. The Down Under uses more leather, and a more quality thicker leather. So the thickness difference between the Down Under with a gun holstered and the Bare Asset with the gun holstered is noticable. In the winter - the Down Under is absolutely perfect. In the summer, if I only have a shirt on, the Bare Asset doesn't print like the Down Under does. If I have my soft shell jacket on, no biggie. But I'm very warm blooded. Wearing a light jacket in the summer would cause me to sweat quite a bit. So the Bare Asset conceals better for me (6', 200 lbs, 34 waist, athletic build). The Down Under is definitely a better quality holster. But for $29, it is hard to beat the Bare Asset. I have one for every pistol.

When I bought my Down under, it was not a stocking item. Highnoon is a very popular company and I think my wait for a custom holster (I've bought 2 custom holsters from them) was in the 4-6 month range. So I waited quite a bit for my Down Under and my Slide Guard. If they stock the Down Under for your pistol, that would be a big bonus.

I will also use the Down Under in IDPA matches, if that gives you an idea of its draw and re-holster capability. But it is still a tight fit where if I hold it upside down by the holster, the gun will definitely not fall out.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Oh, and I have the Super Tuck as well. Craig at Crossbreed holsters was very innovative when with this and I've seen quite a few copies since he first started up. Very comfortable, not something you can easily throw on if you are... sitting in the car. But it was that needs to be broken in. When I first got mine, it was very stiff and had a tendency to squeak and squawk some times when I walked.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Oh, and I have the Super Tuck as well. Craig at Crossbreed holsters was very innovative when with this and I've seen quite a few copies since he first started up. Very comfortable, not something you can easily throw on if you are... sitting in the car. But it was that needs to be broken in. When I first got mine, it was very stiff and had a tendency to squeak and squawk some times when I walked.

Very helpful posts! I feel maybe re-holstering shouldn't be a concern when it's EDC. Correct? I feel the bare asset would be a better choice. I'll have a paddle holster for when I'm at the range. I don't know how holsters will work for me. I feel like it might stick out. I'm a small guy you could say...5'11 and 165 lbs.

Also, I feel like no one understands me when I say a short term (a hour at most) and a long term (all day) holster. Is this unnecessary or do all of these holsters work for both carries? Both long term and short term.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Convenient one clip IWB:
    125.JPG

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

DeSantis Companion, also has a retention strap and a loop so it can be carried OWB strong side or crossdraw. However it's downsides are not tuckable, and it is not usable if I happen to have my CT lasergip on at the same time.

For hybrid IWB:
    IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

That was in light summer dress, blouse the shirt or untuck it and the 27 is gone, but there is no active retention to the holster aside from passive belt pressing against body with the gun squeezed in the middle; I remolded the kydex a little bit to give it a little more hold on against the frame. Both also fit my G17 quite well:
    IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0339.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

The fact that it makes the G17 easy to carry, not only shows what it can do for conceal-ability, but really drives home the point about the ability of the hybrids to distribute the weight over a good solid belt (and a good belt is ultimately more important than a good holster, because even the best holsters are useless if not properly supported), the Intruder cost me less than my belt and was meant to be just a temporary $40 entry point until I felt a Supertuck at $80 was worth it, that was 9 months ago and it's about that long since I took a look at Crossbreeds website, the DeSantis has really outdone my expectations for the holster. I also if I'm dressed I'm carrying, so it's much easier to put the intruder on for the day and just remove the gun if I enter a gun free, victim zone; than to be popping the holster on and off all day. I also have a Blackhawk CQC SERPA OWB that sees a lot of use around the house and when I decide to OC in public, and a Safariland 6378 on backorder that I'm hoping to have in hand by March. When it comes time for deep concealment in dress clothes, I'll likely go Supertuck with velcro clips and leather outside, polymer insert, velcro velcro inside lining belt so the tell tale belt clips are not visible. If you go the CBST route, take a look at their seconds page, I've read good reviews and seen good deals there, you can usually pick one up for about half cost if they have what you are looking for.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Concealment Solutions. Black Mamba.

Free upgrade to horse hide if ordered before the end of the month (put something about unicorns in the remarks section), and use the coupon code gundudes.

And yes, reholstering should always be a consideration, especially one handed reholstering. You should practice putting your gun back in the holster just as much as you practice drawing it out of the holster.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Very helpful posts! I feel maybe re-holstering shouldn't be a concern when it's EDC. Correct? I feel the bare asset would be a better choice. I'll have a paddle holster for when I'm at the range. I don't know how holsters will work for me. I feel like it might stick out. I'm a small guy you could say...5'11 and 165 lbs.

Also, I feel like no one understands me when I say a short term (a hour at most) and a long term (all day) holster. Is this unnecessary or do all of these holsters work for both carries? Both long term and short term.

I put on my Bare Asset with the gun already holstered. But in my opinion, you shouldn't have to worry to much about reholstering for your EDC. Certainly practice drawing with it though.

As far as short and long term, I would say that most of the holsters mentioned here could easily be both. There would be some that are as good as other. If you're just grabbing the keys to run to the store real quick, a full belt holster or even the super tuck may not be the best as it takes you a minute to put it on and get it in the right spot. Something with a quick clip on the side, like the Bare Asset, Down Under, or a variety of others are awesome for your 'short term' as you can easily just slip it in your pants and hook it to your belt. Like I mentioned earlier, a big advantage of this style clip is how easy it is to put on and take off in the car. If you're carrying and you have to go into a building that doesn't allow it, it can easily be removed without to much wrestling around in the car (which I'm sure can look weird to an outsider looking in). Then when you get back in the car, it is very easy to put back on. This is probably what I dislike most about the Crossbreed style holsters. They are a bear to put on sitting down in the car.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Lot of good suggestions here. The one thing I would say in general is to not worry about the price very much for a carry holster. Don't choose cowhide over horsehide just for the lower cost, for instance. I have holsters that I've owned for 20 years and are still in great shape. I'm not saying to waste money, but you know what I mean. Quality matters a lot in leather.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I've used the Supertuck, and just wasn't that impressed. I don't like the fact that they don't have the "combat cut" standard, as if feels goofy to draw with the extra leather in the way. I sold my Supertuck and bought a clone that was under half the price and feels better. The best though for me was the Comp Tac MTAC, very comfy holster.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Lot of good suggestions here. The one thing I would say in general is to not worry about the price very much for a carry holster. Don't choose cowhide over horsehide just for the lower cost, for instance. I have holsters that I've owned for 20 years and are still in great shape. I'm not saying to waste money, but you know what I mean. Quality matters a lot in leather.

I've never 'ponied' up the money for a horsehide holster. What benefits do you get from it?

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I've used the Supertuck, and just wasn't that impressed. I don't like the fact that they don't have the "combat cut" standard, as if feels goofy to draw with the extra leather in the way. I sold my Supertuck and bought a clone that was under half the price and feels better. The best though for me was the Comp Tac MTAC, very comfy holster.

You know, you could have just given it your own combat cut. If I bought one of these, that's what I would do. Save yourself the money.

Canav, for some reason you always have the most helpful posts when responding to my questions. The pictures we're very helpful! Thanks and +1 for you!

SideArmed, when it comes to holsters with just leather, no molded kydex that you say requires two handed re-holstering. Do these also have good retention? Or is there more of a chance the handgun could fall out? If you we're running or getting in and out of the car.

jonny4523, we are on the same page! I'm really interested in High Noon. I think I've looked at every model and still can't decide which is best. They all look like good quality holsters. I honestly wouldn't mind spending that much if it's as comfortable and effective as it looks.

Brewer, believe me. Price is of no concern. I don't mind paying for a little extra comfort, concealment, quality and durability. I definitely will be getting horsehide.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I did actually "combat cut" the holster, but I shouldn't have had to. They should come from the factory this way. Anyways, that wasn't the only reason, I really didn't find it all that comfortable either. I ended up sending it in as the kydex had cracked, and they sent me a brand new non-combat cut holster. I figured since the original wasn't comfy, I'd just sell the new one.

To the credit of Crossbreed, they have wonderful customer service. However, I think they are overpriced, especially since I bought a clone that is more comfortable, and has thicker kydex and a "combat cut" for half the price.

If price doesn't matter to you, I would give the MTAC a good look. They are very comfortable, and adjustable. They can even be used with different handguns by switching out the kydex body.

Top Bottom