• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    You mentioned CC, and in my opinion that gets harder to accomplish if you exclude IWB, especially with spring and summer around the corner. No big jackets or heavy sweatshirts to help conceal, so IWB helps out tremendously.

On the other hand, if you are only considering one holster, a good paddle holster (such as the Fobus) is a great choice. It is very durable and is fairly versatile for open or concealed carry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You might look at the Ghost by Raven Concealment. It's an OWB belt slide. Relatively cheap, and the guys at Raven are well recommended.

Raven Concealment Systems - Holsters

Ghost.jpg

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm not really sure how to describe the kind of holster that i have. Sort of like inbetween a belly holster and a fanny pack. Check it out at SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters. It's acutally pretty comfortable suprisingly and you can conceal pretty much anything with any kind of outfit.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Holster

I like the 5:11 Blade tech for Glock carry
    It comes with paddle and on the belt attachments plus there not that bad price wise right at 30.00 I think

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For my 17, I like my Galco Imperial Guard IWB Horsehide Holster. It uses snaps on two leather straps. I do not recommend any holster with a metal belt clip.

I also have for my 17, a cross-draw pancake style holster that is made for airplane security personnel that is great for when you are setting down most of the time.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Can't recommend a Crossbreed Super-tuck enough. If you need to go OWB, they make a slide holster that sits very close. I haven't used it personally, but it appears similar to a raven.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't like the IWB stuff so much.

IWB conceals better than OWB. Suggest you try pants with a waist that is sized one size larger. Mine are all sized for IWB. Makes a big difference in terms of comfort.

(YMMV. Standard disclaimers apply. :))

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Another vote for CompTac line of holsters. For IWB, the M-TAC is great.

For OWB, Gould and Goodrich have a nice line of pancake holsters that work well and are reasonably priced.

Can't stress enough the need for a quality gun belt; one built strong enough to hold the handgun. A great holster won't overcome a cheap belt.

Best of luck with your search. Most folks have 2-3 holsters for each handgun they carry. It usually takes 1 or 2 trys before finding the holster/belt system that works for you.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Fobus hoters are great. They can be found on Ebay for under $20. Hard to bet.

I'll admit that I own a Fobus, and they have their uses, especially early on when you have no money, or no knowledge. I think anyone who has been around (I haven't as much as some) will tell you that Fobus holsters are not great, they are mildly OK. There are other much finer holsters that can do the same thing (Blade-Tech?). You are talking about more $$s though. I'm not saying this to start a war, I'm saying it because they are like anything...they have a place, but they are far from top of the line.

Take a look around for the video of the guy disarming a guy with a Fobus. He just walks up, twists it back, breaks it off and walks away...about 1 second tops. I'll find it later when I get off work if you can't.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I'll admit that I own a Fobus, and they have their uses, especially early on when you have no money, or no knowledge. I think anyone who has been around (I haven't as much as some) will tell you that Fobus holsters are not great, they are mildly OK. There are other much finer holsters that can do the same thing (Blade-Tech?). You are talking about more $ though. I'm not saying this to start a war, I'm saying it because they are like anything...they have a place, but they are far from top of the line.

Take a look around for the video of the guy disarming a guy with a Fobus. He just walks up, twists it back, breaks it off and walks away...about 1 second tops. I'll find it later when I get off work if you can't.

I agree.

Fobus holsters are cheap and easily broken.

That being said, if a Fobus is all you can afford right now, fine, but it should only be used until you can get a quality holster.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I went through a similar search not too long ago but with one qualification: I'm a leather snob. So, I didn't look at synthetics. I looked at all the mass produced leather brands but decided I wanted something hand made. I ended up buying a reasonably priced, matching set of a belt, OWB for G17 and IWB for G30SF from Erik at:

Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holsters

Top Bottom