• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This list is proof that not all GOPs are conservatives. Case in point, they show Arnie the Governator as a Republican, but he's the one who's signed into law such abominations as the "encoded ammunition" :bs: and the restrictions on firearms for sale whose companies have not paid to have their guns "california tested" (my term) with drop tests, etc. just to meet some arbitrary standard and force firearm manufacturers to spend large amounts of money. Of course, they did score highest on the Brady grades last time around, so maybe we should be calling them "Killafornia".

How anyone can score that high a number for a group like that and think of it as a good thing is beyond me.

Blessings,
    B

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another anomaly is putting Neal Boortz in the "middle," but putting other obvious libertarians (like Drew Carey) on the "right."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've heard apocryphal stories about Republicans in Hollywood having to go underground for fear of being blacklisted. Anyone else heard that?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Or did you mean "not all conservatives are pro-gun"? Just like all liberals are not anti-gun.

Nope. Meant exactly what I wrote.

I know the difference between "pro-gun", "conservative", and "Republican".

No group of people will "all" hold "all" the same beliefs. I describe myself as conservative, but many conservatives will take exception to my stated opinions describing abortion as being a subject on which government should remain silent. Many libertarians will take exception to my position on immigration-we have borders and I expect them to be enforced and those who violate them to be punished. True libertarianism generally holds that borders, artificial boundries of governments, are also an abuse of power. Nonetheless, these are my views. I don't try to define others by them nor will I be defined by their views.

All of these-Republican, Democrat, C/conservative, L/liberal, L/libertarian- are just labels. It is true more often than not, though, that those we today call "liberals" or the more recently preferred term, "progressives", are generally anti-gun and very favorable to government authority being used to enforce society-wide entitlement programs, ignoring any Constitutional prohibitions which might be in effect.
    The current administration has broken from the traditional conservative principles and is a poor example of them, but traditionally, conservatives have been generally pro-gun, favorable to minimizing and shrinking government, and supporting the Constitution as written, rather than as a "living document".

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, Jeff. What I'm telling you is that the reason you see so many people here doing what you perceive as insulting and namecalling liberals and which you seem to be taking as personal attacks on you is simply a generalization of the more common traits of the group with which you identify. It would be the same as referencing a "Bwostin" accent or a Texas drawl. Not everyone from those places has those vocal tonalities, but that so many do is what causes the stereotype.

If you take the name of every liberal officeholder in the country and ask them for their position on guns, I would be surprised if five in 100 hold the same view I do and which you told me before that you do-that the 2A means precisely what it says, without "reasonable restrictions" or any other infringements. You would find more conservatives holding that view, but not as many as I would like to find.

Hope that helps. It's not personal against you. It's just a generalization based on experience and fact.

Blessings,
    Bill

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've heard apocryphal stories about Republicans in Hollywood having to go underground for fear of being blacklisted. Anyone else heard that?

There is a documentary (a real one, not a Michael Moore fantasy ego trip) about just that topic. Patricia Heaton from "Everyone Loves Raymond" is one of the featured stars.

In my opinion, several stars have had significant career limitations because of their conservative or libertarian politics, especially if the espouse support of individual RKBA. Tom Selleck is a prime example.

Look at the attendance list of one of the celebrity shoots that Irlene Mandrell hosts every year and you'll see a long list of b-list celebrities. I'll admit that in some cases it's talent-related, but their politics played and continue to play a role as well.

It's less so for character actors (like the legendary Geoffrey Lewis) than those with the potential to have multiple leading roles, though. I would expect that is because they are less visible and probably taken less seriously by the people who control things in Hollywood.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I know there are stereotypes, Bill. Do you feel that we should allow the stereotypes to continue? I don't feel they are personal to me (except possibly one in another recent thread). I use myself as an example that stereotypes aren't always true. I would argue the same point about blacks being gangbangers, mexicans being lazy, etc. We just happen to be, generally, talking about guns here. It is counter-productive to our goals to always be so beligerent to an entire group of people who might be on the fence about gun-rights, risking driving them away to the other side.

I posted a poll on one of the gun boards recently (The Firing Line, I think) asking which way the people there leaned politically. Unsurprisingly it was about equally split between liberal & conservative (at least the last I checked). Following your reasoning you would think that the conservative side would be way more prevalent.

Why is it so easy to try to pin all the blame on liberals? I very rarely (almost never) see any conservative/Republican here complain with the same zealotry (word?) about the high number of conservative anti-gunners in public office. How many of the recent Republican Presidential candidates could be said to be pro-gun? Guiliani, Romney, Thompson? Nope. Paul & Huckabee were but they never even stood a chance. Even McCain is lukewarm & he was behind until just before the primaries. For example, He was one of only 8 senators in 2004 who voted for S. 1805 which would have effectivley reinstated the AWB. He now says he opposed the original AWB but leaves out the fact that he then voted to re-instate it in 2004. Where is the outrage? Anti-gunners are bad no matter what side of the aisle they are on.

The facts aren't always what they seem.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know there are stereotypes, Bill. Do you feel that we should allow the stereotypes to continue? I don't feel they are personal to me (except possibly one in another recent thread). I use myself as an example that stereotypes aren't always true. I would argue the same point about blacks being gangbangers, mexicans being lazy, etc. We just happen to be, generally, talking about guns here. It is counter-productive to our goals to always be so beligerent to an entire group of people who might be on the fence about gun-rights, risking driving them away to the other side.

I posted a poll on one of the gun boards recently (The Firing Line, I think) asking which way the people there leaned politically. Unsurprisingly it was about equally split between liberal & conservative (at least the last I checked). Following your reasoning you would think that the conservative side would be way more prevalent.

Why is it so easy to try to pin all the blame on liberals? I very rarely (almost never) see any conservative/Republican here complain with the same zealotry (word?) about the high number of conservative anti-gunners in public office. How many of the recent Republican Presidential candidates could be said to be pro-gun? Guiliani, Romney, Thompson? Nope. Paul & Huckabee were but they never even stood a chance. Even McCain is lukewarm & he was behind until just before the primaries. For example, He was one of only 8 senators in 2004 who voted for S. 1805 which would have effectivley reinstated the AWB. He now says he opposed the original AWB but leaves out the fact that he then voted to re-instate it in 2004. Where is the outrage? Anti-gunners are bad no matter what side of the aisle they are on.

The facts aren't always what they seem.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronizing. I know you know there are stereotypes, I was commenting less on the fact and more on the effect of them.
    Indulge me while I type another story? My mother, flaming liberal that she is, used to use this to make similar points: A girl was walking in the woods on a cold day when she came upon a rattlesnake. "Please", the snake pleaded, "I'm so cold.. please pick me up and warm me under your coat so I don't die." The girl exclaimed, "No! If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die!" The snake assured her he would not, that she could trust him, and eventually, she did pick him up and put him under her coat. Very soon after, once he'd warmed a bit, she felt the sharp points of his fangs pierce her side, and as she fell to the ground, she cried, "Why? Why did you bite me? I trusted you!"

The snake replied, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

So it is with us gun owners. Certainly there are some who describe themselves as liberals who would be helpful and strongly pro-gun, but to find those among the ones who would bite and kill us is a task few have patience for and we cannot afford to be bitten.

Your point about belligerence is sound, as is your point about the lack of outrage at Giuliani or Romney. Thompson seemed quite pro-2A to me, but nonetheless, as you've found personally, I try very hard to take each person as they are, rather than by stereotypes. While I'll hold either a liberal or a conservative at arm's length until I get to know them better, I don't consider this belligerence but simply defense of self.

You commented about McCain and his lukewarm attitude prior to the primaries. This has been discussed on other threads, but quite simply, we all know that either he or Obama will be our next president. Given that reality, we have little choice but to accept him and try to move past and gird ourselves against a recurrence. "McCain is bad, but Obama is worse."

I would wonder, additionally, how many of the TFLers who responded as being liberal did so out of disgust with our present administration, as well as how many claim to be liberal when the truth is that they are libertarian-conservatives, wanting smaller government that gets the hell out of their lives and lets them live them themselves.

I can't make anyone else change their approach. If they choose to do so, I applaud their effort to do so.

Hope that helps some.

Blessings,
    Bill

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Strange, isn't it, that many of those in red have used guns in TV and/or movies for profit?

It's ok for THEM to use them for that fat paycheck, but no one else should, huh?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Strange, isn't it, that many of those in red have used guns in TV and/or movies for profit?

It's ok for THEM to use them for that fat paycheck, but no one else should, huh?

Of course, because they're just acting, not actually hurting anyone. It's OK to play at it or even to carry one as a LEO, but really, any other use is unnecessary.

Pardon me, I'm going to go vomit now.

Blessings,
    Bill

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Holly Wood

This list is proof that not all GOPs are conservatives. Case in point, they show Arnie the Governator as a Republican, but he's the one who's signed into law such abominations as the "encoded ammunition" :bs: and the restrictions on firearms for sale whose companies have not paid to have their guns "california tested" (my term) with drop tests, etc. just to meet some arbitrary standard and force firearm manufacturers to spend large amounts of money. Of course, they did score highest on the Brady grades last time around, so maybe we should be calling them "Killafornia".

How anyone can score that high a number for a group like that and think of it as a good thing is beyond me.

Blessings,
    B

Amen!!:yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom