• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sam1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I have a lever action in 45 colt [long colt] that I would like to use for home defenese; can I load up a tubular mag without worring about the mag blowing up from aprimer being set off by recoil?:patriot:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) 225 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Might try some of the Hornaday lever evolution ammo, I think it might be safer. :twocents:

1165.jpg

Ever since its introduction in 2006, LEVERevolution ammunition has brought grandpa's lever action rifle out of retirement and turned it into a firearm everyone is shooting. Featuring a soft polymer flex tip, it's tough enough to stand up to a jacketed bullet, but soft enough so it won't dent the primer of the round in front of it or cause accidental firing in a lever gun. This new technology makes LEVERevolution cartridges safe in tubular magazines.

LEVERevolution ammunition features up to 40% more energy than traditional flat point loads and travels up to 250 fps faster. Feed your lever gun with a box today! This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 960 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 460 ft. lbs.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Haven't used for 45 colt, but the 357 and 44 mag is good stuff. I like it in both long barreled revolvers and lever actions. Doubles(at least) the range of my 30-30 also.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    Given that a flat nosed bullet is what it was designed for, as long as the hollow deosn't leave a narrow sharp edge I have always been told you are safe. Remember that the rounds can slant inside the tube so you can't depend on the size of the hollow to be enough.

I have a 1894 Marlin .44 lever action and have used Winchester SJHP and Corbon JHP without problems.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think the "can't load anything but solid, JSP" and such in a tube is overrated.

I can see some very pointy bullets causing problems, I still have yet to see a tube gun explode anything in the tube. It might have happen one or two times in the past but I think we need to get mythbusters involved to be sure. I do know that using speers SSP bullet in a 35 rem marlin 336 with heavy handloads would be t he most likely to have a problem. They specifically advise against it.

I think hollowpoints at factory loads for the 45 colt will give you no problems. I am so sure a will fire the first 3 for you. Recoil of factory 45 colt is so light they won't go off.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you use 45 colt for HD then IMHO you absolutely MUST use hollow points or FTX (and to answer your question, yes they'll be safe in a tubular magazine) A solid bullet in a .45 Colt has way too much penetration for HD.

I would recommend Remington 225gr LSWCHP. Or Speer Gold Dot.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    FYI, I know people who have loaded spitzer rounds in their tubular magazines and never had the thing blow up.

I do NOT recommend this practice, but when wondering about flat points, hollow points, etc, it may be a good indication as to what it really takes to set a primer off.

You can sit there and squeeze one with pliers and it will flatten (do not try this!) but if there's no sharp blow, it will not go "pop."

Josh

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've used Winchester Silvertips in an 1892 copy before with no worries. I've shot thousands of JHP's out of my .357 levergun with absolutely no issue.

I'd reccomend looking at the CCI Blazer .45 Colt JHP. I"ve gone through several boxes and have had good accuracy and good expansion out of a pistol barrel when shooting into wet newspaper. I'm sure out of a rifle, they would be devistating! Whatever you get, you need to make sure they will reliably feed through your gun. I like the Federal SWC-HP, but some rifles may have trouble feeding a SWC style of bullet.

Doug K

Top Bottom