• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    The only problem I have had is finding land owners that will let you go hunting on their land. The hogs are in southern Indiana as far as I know and the Coyotes are all over now. The weapon or gun to use is up to you but I would use a good rifle well above a 22lr. In some areas the city and County dumps will let you shoot the Coyotes. Good luck.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    OK, I know dog hunting is fun, I did a lot of it growing up in Nevada. My question is what exactly are people doing with them where they are concerned about "damage" due to caliber of rifle used? You don't mount them or eat them? We left them where they fell and usually used 30-06 or a 7mm, puts them down. I just do not understand the concept of overkill on coyotes here. Thanks.

uncle griz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    City with a Heart
    i knew a guy that took a hog in Fla with a 308. When he went to get it he found a 223 sticking out of its head. It had been there a while. Must have thick, hard skulls ! I guess 223 in the head are just not enough for hogs......

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I did not think you could hunt with any HP rifle in IN ?
    Regs ?
    Go check

But if I just had to grab what I have
    Coyotes-AK or 8mm Mauser
    Hog- 8mm Mauser or AK

Either way screwem and blow them to :poop:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    hit hard

OP, do yourself a favor and read the regs.

DNR: Hunting & Trapping Guide

This.
    for hogs and yotes there are no restrictions on guns (as long as you have permission of landowner).
    If you actually get into some hogs, you'll want something that hits pretty hard. If you want the same gun for both, I'd opt for .243 or up (.260, 7mm-08, 308, 280, 30-06, 25-06, 270, etc.), or of course a 12 slug. I say "If you actually get into hogs ..." because there's been a lot of talk but I have yet to see actual evidence (pics/vids) from hogs hunted HERE in IN.
    For just yotes, 223, 222, 22-250, 243, or 12 ga with #4 buckshot in close, woody land -- use a good, tight choke.
    That's my :twocents: anyways.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There is a season on them (yotes), they are classed as furbearers.
    Groundhogs are another varmint, but there's no season on them.
    You can use a HP rifle for varmints, even small game, and if of certain cartridge properties, deer.
    There is a pre hunting season nuisance deal where "regular" HP rifles may be used on deer, but it is of a more controlled nature.

Top Bottom