Hmm whats your take on this? Indiana needs more gun laws huh?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hmmmm. I don't know about you, but I am getting real sick of hearing democrats use the term "common sense" for ludacris ban ideas among other things.

Indiana's gun laws too lax, Helmke says | The News-Sentinel - Fort Wayne IN

Whether you are for guns or not, there's not much debate that Indiana's gun laws enforce only the bare minimum. The state aligns with the federal government's mandated laws but chooses not to add further restrictions on buyers or sellers.

Paul Helmke is critical of the state for that.

As president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Fort Wayne's former three-term mayor spends his days in Washington, D.C., now, pushing for those restrictions. His organization recently released its annual state scorecards, rating each state on the strength of its gun laws, and Helmke wasn't surprised to learn how lacking his home state really is.

Indiana received eight of a possible 100 points on the scorecard, ranking it 31st of the 50 states in the strength of its gun laws.

“Basically the only points that Indiana gets are for not doing bad things. We don't force guns onto college campuses or into the workplace, for example,” Helmke said. “Bottom line, Indiana hasn't done anything on guns one way or the other. People don't realize how weak the laws are at the federal level; people don't realize how weak the laws are at the state level; and because of that, we end up seeing a lot more violence than we should be seeing.”

Jerry Wehner, executive vice president of the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association, the state branch of the National Rifle Association, falls on the other side of the fence when it comes to gun laws.

“… Indiana has some of the best gun laws, or lack of gun laws, of any state in the nation,” said Wehner, who said he would support required training if the conditions were laid out. “We have very reasonable gun laws. I realize what the Brady Campaign does is they take states that have ‘bad' gun laws, or what I call ‘good' gun laws, or lack thereof, and gives them a bad rating. The more laws a state has, the more restrictive it is, the better score they get.”

Wehner said those states with more restrictive gun laws also have high crime rates, citing New York and California.

But Helmke says it's the lack of gun laws and training that are leading to deaths.

The Brady Campaign reports some 30,000 deaths per year nationwide as a result of guns. More than 80 people die from guns every day, with about 200 more suffering injuries.

“It's a public-safety issue, it's a public-health issue, it's a common-sense issue,” said Helmke. “We're not requiring people to show that they've taken any gun-safety classes, we're not requiring them to show that they're physically capable of handling a gun. We make it too easy for dangerous people to get guns, and we don't talk enough about the responsibilities that need to go with gun ownership.”

To buy a gun in Indiana, you must be over 21 years old and possess a valid state ID or driver's license with a current address. Then, you'll go through a federal background check.

If the check comes back void of felonies and misdemeanor crime convictions and shows the applicant to be mentally stable with no involuntary commitment into the mental health system and no chronic abuse of drugs or alcohol, that person can buy a potentially deadly weapon.

Indiana has no limitations on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, no requirement for handgun purchasers to give fingerprints, no license or permit required to buy handguns, and no one-handgun-per-month limit on sales.

Hoosiers aren't required to report any lost or stolen guns to law enforcement, their guns needn't be registered with law enforcement and there's no waiting period on gun sales. The permit is for people who want to carry or use their guns outside their homes, but it's not necessary to possess a permit to purchase a gun. What's more, gun purchasers are not required to go through any training or testing, and gun dealers aren't forced to offer them, raising the question: Does Indiana need to change its gun laws?

California, by comparison, goes the other way in almost all categories with the toughest gun laws in the nation, earning 79 of 100 points to score first overall on the Brady scorecard.

Illinois, which ranked ninth, requires background checks at gun shows, a loophole in Indiana to which Helmke strongly points. Ohio, which ranked 20th, requires firearm training for all purchasers.

“We require a driver's license to drive a car, and formal training,” said Mark vanBurk, president of H&H Firearms, 1525 Directors Row, whose business voluntarily offers an introduction to handgun safety course every two weeks.

“Kids and handguns, it's the only two things you can own that you don't have to have any kind of formal training.”

VanBurk says a gun owner in Indiana must be willing to put in the dedication to become a responsible owner. He suggests any owner put in the individual training by practicing shooting, disassembling and carrying a gun safely.

The bottom line is, gun laws don't have to translate into high gun-related injury or death statistics, and both sides can agree on that.

“If someone wants a gun, I'm not against that,” said Helmke. “People have a right to have a gun, the courts made it clear. But the courts also made it clear that there are limitations on that, and it's a responsibility as well as a right.

“We focus so much on the gun rights, but we don't focus enough on the responsibilities that come with it. There are more requirements on the dealer that sells cigarettes or alcohol than the ones that sell guns.”

Added Wehner, “You cannot legislate common sense.”

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Helmke is a nut. Indiana needs fewer gun laws not more. I'm pissed we were bested by 19 other states.

We weren't, really. They gave us two points for not having a "shoot first law"--which is their term for Castle Doctrine-- and were informed that we do, in fact have that. They have not seen fit to change it.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how registering guns with police will reduce crime. I'm waiting to hear how me having to beg permission to purchase the tools I need to exercise a fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution will reduce crime. I'm still waiting to hear how forcing people to sleep through a state-mandated "gun safety" course (which is another form of "registration") will reduce either crime or negligent discharges.

I think I'll be waiting for a very long time for a coherent answer.

Blessings,
    Bill

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    We weren't, really. They gave us two points for not having a "shoot first law"--which is their term for Castle Doctrine-- and were informed that we do, in fact have that. They have not seen fit to change it.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how registering guns with police will reduce crime. I'm waiting to hear how me having to beg permission to purchase the tools I need to exercise a fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution will reduce crime. I'm still waiting to hear how forcing people to sleep through a state-mandated "gun safety" course (which is another form of "registration") will reduce either crime or negligent discharges.

Blessings,
    Bill

I think I'll email them and demand they take off those two points. :D
    Bill I don't think you will be getting any answers soon.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Pretty funny that Indiana has one of the lower crime rates of other state in the nation compared to.... oh.... lets......say......

ILLINOIS, NEW YORK, COMMIEFORNIA, AND WASHINGTON DC!

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Many more people are killed by cars in Indiana than guns, and we DO require training and licensing for that. Hrm. Guess that works pretty well.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Fort Wayne Newspapers always seem so very, very liberal. I won't tell you what my Dad calls the Journal-Gazette lol

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Wait...

Illinois, which ranked ninth, requires background checks at gun shows, a loophole in Indiana to which Helmke strongly points.

Now, I'm a noob to the gun world, and I've only been to a handful of gun shows over the years, but I thought for sure that background checks were still required at gun shows unless the buyer carries a LTCH??? Am I wrong? Who's misinformed here, myself or Mr. Helmke?

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    Pretty funny that Indiana has one of the lower crime rates of other state in the nation compared to.... oh.... lets......say......

ILLINOIS, NEW YORK, COMMIEFORNIA, AND WASHINGTON DC!

exactly! indiana may not have the toughest gun laws, but they keep them out of criminal hands. And, as already stated above, you can have all the gun laws in place in the world, the criminals will still get them. Law abiding citizens are the ones punished by extreme gun laws.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wait...

Now, I'm a noob to the gun world, and I've only been to a handful of gun shows over the years, but I thought for sure that background checks were still required at gun shows unless the buyer carries a LTCH??? Am I wrong? Who's misinformed here, myself or Mr. Helmke?

The same laws apply at a gun show. If you go to the 1500 in a few weeks you will see dealers calling in the background checks. When I help my friend I usually have 2 or 3 people asking if we'd sell something "Off paper" and we always tell them that that would be illegal. We figure they are criminals or the BATF trying to catch dealers breaking the law. Don Davis has been spreading the "anyone can go buy whatever they want at a gun show" lie for years to try to close gun shows so that he can sell more guns.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Blessings,
    Bill

You will, indeed, be waiting for a very long time for a coherent answer. Want to know why? Firearms registration CANNOT reduce crime for a very simple reason. Namely, the courts have ruled that criminals cannot be forced to register their firearms, because doing so violates their Constitutional right to not incriminate themselves. That's right, gun registration is only legal for law abiding citizens. IT IS ILLEGAL TO REQUIRE A CRIMINAL TO REGISTER THEIR GUNS.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    exactly! indiana may not have the toughest gun laws, but they keep them out of criminal hands. And, as already stated above, you can have all the gun laws in place in the world, the criminals will still get them. Law abiding citizens are the ones punished by extreme gun laws.

What Eric Holder and the rest of the Liberal Nut Bag Nazi's over at the Brady Asylum won't tell you...

Over 90% of firearms used in a crime...

Wait for it....

ARE STOLEN!

But you don't see them pushing for stronger measures against thieves who steal firearms now do you?

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    “We require a driver's license to drive a car, and formal training,” said Mark vanBurk, president of H&H Firearms, 1525 Directors Row, whose business voluntarily offers an introduction to handgun safety course every two weeks.
    Well, there's a gun store I'll never darken the doors of. Which Founding Father told someone "I hope you wear the shackles lightly..."

I'll have to find that.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    No gun shows in Fort Wayne then Fort Wayne stores benefit. Required training then those that own ranges will charge for classes and make money.

Top Bottom