• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking at getting a new gun since I sold my ppks. I have narrowed it down to either the hk p30 or the fn fnx, both 9mm. Would anyone like to share their experience with either of these guns?

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have the HK P30 in 9mm da/sa. Definately one of my favorites. Soft shooter, feels better in the hand than anything else for me. I have been shooting glocks for 20 years and shot better with the P30 by far right out of the box. The trigger could stand some improvement though, a little bit long on the da and long reset on sa, maybe a Bill Springfield or Grays Guns trigger job in the future would make it perfect for me. My Sigs all have a better trigger. I have shot one of the polymer framed FN's but don't remember which one. It was ok but I thought the HK was definately enough better to justify the cost.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If I was going fn, it would be an fns.

Between the two you listed its a toss up.

I shot my g19 better than my p30l, I loved the grip o the p30 though.

Both have equally good controls layout. What's better is a matter of preference and training.

Both shoot well

Both have a good reputation, and come from solid manufacturers.

Both have similar sight, holster, and magazine availability/ options.

Personally I'd go to the p30, add the lem trigger, and send it out for trigger work.

Can I ask how you narrowed it to these two prospects?

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Sure, I narrowed it down based of reputation of the companies and the design of the gun. I looked at all the other offerings and being that I am a glock hater I eliminated anything that looked similar. I really want to stay away from striker fired weapons, just prefer a hammer or even a bobbed hammer.

What started my whole new gun thing was at the latest gun show at the coliseum. I saw an hk45c for a really good price but the cost of ammo is a big deterernt to the 45, also not a very big person. So I went in search of guns that look similar and the p30 and fnx came up.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I rented a couple of different P30's as I really wanted to like this pistol, the grip feels great but for the price difference I didn't feel it shot any better for me than a lot of less expensive pistols. I'd go FNX or FNS or maybe look at the PPQ.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I loved my p30 (minus the trigger). If you were getting the p30, get the LEM trigger. I also loved the FNP9. I shoot a friend's a lot. it shot great and is pretty much the poor man's Sig. I would take a FNP over an FNX, but that is because of all the initial reviews on the FNX and that there wasnt enough difference between the two (in my eyes) to spend more on the FNX vs FNP. The HK45c has a much better trigger than the P30 (plus you can actually install the LEM trigger in the 45c, not the p30. you can only buy the p30 in lem from the factory/dealers) so if you can get the 45, get it. But i understand if you will be shooting a lot and dont want to spend extra on 45s. also look into the P2000, the grip still feels great (not amazing like the p30, but still) and has a better trigger than the p30. but still not as good as say like my sig 229.
    Other guns I would highly recommend would be CZs. my CZ felt even better than my p30. But if you want polymer only guns then nevermind. But a CZ p01 or something like that would be amazing too. for the cost of the p30 you could get a custom cz p01 from their custom shop and out shoot (mechanically) both of these guns you talked about.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Fnp/ fnx did borrow a lot from other designs, but it wasn't mainly a sig, and te advantage to the fnx or p30 over the fnp is that you can carry single action, with a safety or DA safety on or off, like an hk or cz.

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well I personally do not feel comfortable with carrying a gun cocked and locked like a 1911 so it will need to be DA. The amount of shooting I will do with the new pistol will be dependent on the cost of ammo for it.

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Had a P30 V3 that I had Bill Springfield do a trigger job on. Great shooter. Loved the ergonomics. Wish I wouldn't have sold it, but I got bit by the M1A bug. I had an FNP9 for a while. It was ok, but I greatly preferred the P30. If I would buy another one, it would be the P30L.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had an FNX for awhile. It was a nice gun but felt bulky and fat, even with the thinnest backstrap and Im not normally bothered by large guns. This one bothered me. It was hard for me to get a comfortable grip on. It was accuarte and reliable though and I really liked that it could be DA/SA or Cocked and locked or decocked and locked. That was pretty cool. But Im happier with my G19

Ive never been an HK fan so I have no insight on them.

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So it sounds like some people really like the fnx but there are several that don't. The P30 or 45c seem to be a more favorable choice over the fnx. I am leaning more towards the p30 since it is a 9, not just for ammo cost but size as well. Moving up from a ppk is going to be quite a jump in size for me. I recent have been helping a friend break in a 1911 .45 and while they are fun to shoot (I didn't have to buy the ammo) they take me longer between shots. I will admit that it has been over 6 years since I have shot a 9mm so I might need to do that before I decide.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Napalm, right on for going with 9mm if that's what u want... I will tell you though that my p30 and the HK45c are/were the same size. that's why i got rid of the p30 in the first place.

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah I think I will stick to the 9mm for recoil and price cost. Now I just have to shop around and see if I can find a really good deal on one that is new or like new.

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have never had the opportunity to play with a lem so not really sure what makes it better over the other. I had a 15 pound da pull on my ppk and that thing was a pain for such a little gun.

Top Bottom