• ...and so much more!
  • Lostdutchman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    Lawrence
    Hey gang!

This is a piece I picked up this week. It's a Needham Conversion to breechloading of the Model 1861 percussion rifle musket made originally with the stock and barrel bands of the 1863 musket. They were converted to breechloaders about 1869 at Trenton NJ. Many are Bridesburgs because of a connection to a war time contract through Jenks & Son. These guns had a history of belonging to the Fenian Brotherhood of Irish Americans, 600 of whom, fought a group of Canadians in 1866 above Niagara at Ridgeway before retreating and being arrested by US authorities. These conversions are said to be chambered for a 58 centerfire cartridge. They were also later in the inventory of Bannerman in the 1920's.

Here is my example.

bride1.jpg

bride2.jpg

bride3.jpg

bride4.jpg

bride5.jpg

bride6.jpg

bride7.jpg

bride8.jpg

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Very nice example indeed. And I like the fact that you've taken them time to research some history on it. I think too few of us are really students of the history behind firearms. Fascinating to me when I read about the changes in technology and how wartime changes and adaptations were made.

Lostdutchman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    Lawrence
    I had a national guard captain friend of mine ship me a Martini Henry from Afganistan. It's crazy all the stuff that's floating around over there.

Top Bottom