• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    As a noobie myself, I was trying to explain what a semi-automatic gun is, and what High capacity magazines are for, and that they are separate from the type of gun, and someone asked me what they are for besides convenience at the range and competitions. Any answers?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As a noobie myself, I was trying to explain what a semi-automatic gun is, and what High capacity magazines are for, and that they are separate from the type of gun, and someone asked me what they are for besides convenience at the range and competitions. Any answers?

First of all, what the media calls "high capacity magazines" are usually standard capacity magazines.

A semi-auto firearm is one where each trigger press fires a round, the action cycles causing the empty brass to be ejected, and a new round is stripped from the magazine and loaded in the chamber, ready to fire again the next time the trigger is pressed.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    They're for the gun. There's no need for McDonalds, but we have them. There's no need for super large soft drinks, but we buy them. There's no need for 36-pack of toilet paper, but we have them.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    For the anti-gunners 10, 20, 30 round.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    On a related topic to this... IMO, and this from someone who has not researched the definitions, I believe the media simply misrepresents the truth or simply doesn't know the terminology.

A "standard capacity magazine" is the magazine that is standard with that type of gun. For example, the magazine that comes with a HK USPc is a 13-round magazine; therefore, the standard capacity magazine for that weapon holds 13 rounds. Any magazine for the USPc which holds more rounds would be a "higher capacity magazine".

The same would apply to an AR-15. The standard magazine which comes with most AR-15's is a mag that holds 30 rounds. Any AR-15 mag that holds more than 30 rounds would be considered a "higher capacity magazine".

YMMV.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From another thread:

Reduced Capacity Magazine - less then what the firearm shipped with
    Standard Capacity Magazine - the one designed for that firearm by the manufacturer
    Extended Capacity Magazine - holds more than a Standard Magazine
    High Capacity - belt fed!

For instance, my XD has a 9-round Standard and 12-round Extended, both from the factory. The Extended magazine actually provides a larger grip surface, making the firearm easier to hold and shoot, especially if you have larger hands. It also provides a few more rounds, should they be needed. Those couple of extra rounds may be the difference between going home at the end of the day, or getting gunned down when your slide locks back on empty.

Semi-automatic is really better described as an "automatic reloading" gun. Each time the trigger is pulled, you get one shot. The gun then self-reloads, so the it is ready for another trigger pull. Even double-action revolvers are semi-automatic in practice (one pull, the cylinder rotates, and you get one shot). This is as opposed to single-action firearms, where the operator must manually eject the previous casing and work the action to load the next round (think single-action revolvers from the Old West). Pretty much EVERY modern handgun and a great number of modern rifles are auto-loaders. Firearms used for precision shooting (like long-range hunting) are often single-action or even single shot. These are fairly worthless for self defense, where every second is valuable.

Very different than a fully automatic firearm, where a single trigger pull results in a fire, reload, and fire again, until the trigger is released. Great for laying down cover, but terrible for actually hitting much.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    better yet, ask THEM to define what a high capacity magazine, and a semi-automatic assault rifle is.

if they have an answer, please report back.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    better yet, ask THEM to define what a high capacity magazine, and a semi-automatic assault rifle is.

if they have an answer, please report back.
    That's the problem. They think a "hi-cap mag" is anything over 3, 5, or 10 rounds. A semi-auto assault rifle is any black rifle with a "shoulder thing that goes up".

They have no idea what they are talking about, so just want to ban it all.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There's no such thing as a "high capacity" magazine. It's an arbitrary term invented by politicians to explain the mechanics of guns to people who know nothing about guns. That's what's so scary about them trying to outlaw these so-called "high capacity" magazines. "High capacity" is however many rounds they decide it is.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    That's the problem. They think a "hi-cap mag" is anything over 3, 5, or 10 rounds. A semi-auto assault rifle is any black rifle with a "shoulder thing that goes up".

They have no idea what they are talking about, so just want to ban it all.

thats my point. asking logical questions confuses liberals, doesn't matter the issue, they have no rational thinking capabilities, only the capability to parrot what USAToday tells em.

you won't change any minds with this tactic, but you wouldn't anyway. at least you'll fluster and confuse them and cause them to walk away, with minimal effort on your part, and THEY'LL be the one with a baseless anger, and lash out at the next thing they see.

Top Bottom