• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twisyblackmetal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    One of my friends has a Hi Point in 9mm

it's not his most accurate gun, but it does work. I've been to the range while he has shot it and it is not a jam-o-matic. It is a unremarkable and ugly, but is a great rough terrain truck gun. My main defensive weapon was an old 2nd class weapon, functioned well. I don't personally know many people who only have a Hi Point, so as a place to start, I think they are a great gateway gun. There may well be a carbine in my future...

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    Bought a 45 HP to keep by the bed (in addition to a shotgun mounted to the side of the bed.....since I haven't slept well in several years, I will be VERY upset if someone tries to bother me in the night!) anyway......I took the HP 45 to the range proceeded to place the whole clip in a 4" group at 7 yds very quickly. This was the 1st time ever shooting a 45 period. Ran 1 more clip just to make sure gun and clip function and put it away. I bought this gun not to carry (way big) but to place in the headboard of the bed. I have $160.45 invested in this gun for 1 purpose, I am sure it will be just fine. A nice fellow at the range just yesterday let me shoot his Glock 17. I had never shot one before. It was nice and I hit what I was aiming for. I also do that with my HP C9. Kathy and I own Beretta, S&W, Taurus, Sig, and HP. If I HAD to choose only one of any of these I own and have shot and I wanted to give myself the greatest chance of hitting target with only one shot......I would pick up my C9 Hi Point. Lots and lots of arguments surround guns and which one is best etc. etc. etc. I believe there are WAY too many variables beginning with each persons', hands, muscle tone, vision, etc. before ever getting to the weapons' abilities or features. I don't open carry...yet, but if I ever do, the C9 HP will probably be what I carry openly. For my hand, muscle tone whatever, whatever, the gun just works for me. That's my 2 cents.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I shot a c9 recently and I was very impressed. it handled well, plus it was accurate and reliable. I don't think they'll be putting kimber out of buissiness but they have a very nice offering fo the cost.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    if the were redesigned and werent so fugly they may sell more guns kel-tecs are cheap but they arent massive like hp its better to have somthing than to have nothing

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    If you want a cheap, very cheap, gun that is reliable and not want to worry about service if it does break, then Hi Point is hard to beat. You just have to get passed the major ugly factor.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    i like that the xdm has the m factor hp has the fugly factor

indeed........I stay away from many different kinds of handguns, how is it possible to like the xdm but not the standard xd? :): I personally wouldn't buy one, but then again, I have 6 pistols that will eat about anything....so no real interest

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Hi-Point 40 cal pistol from "Pop-Guns" on Washington St. I did not know much about them, I told the guy behind the counter how much money I had to spend. He suggested the Hi-Point 40 cal. (This was before my INGO days) I bought it, a holster, and a box of JHP. Spent nearly $300.00. Took it to the range, the mag holds 10 rounds. Had nine FTE's Took it back to Pop-Guns, the guy worked on the mag (bent the lips out) took inside their range had 7 FTE's. He worked on it again, went back to their range, had 1 FTE. He worked on it again, fired entire mag with no FTE's. At this point, this was my daily carry, I had no confidence in this gun. If I had to pull it and defend myself or family I needed the peace of mind that it would operate correctly with each pull of the trigger. The gun had at most 50 rounds fired through it when I traded it in (at half the price I had paid for it). I now carry a Taurus PT145. Great gun, no issues, accurate, powerful, and sub-compact, perfect conceal weapon. IMO, Hi-Point's are not a weapon I would have faith in if my life or families lives were on the line.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I bought a Hi-Point 40 cal pistol from "Pop-Guns" on Washington St. I did not know much about them, I told the guy behind the counter how much money I had to spend. He suggested the Hi-Point 40 cal. (This was before my INGO days) I bought it, a holster, and a box of JHP. Spent nearly $300.00. Took it to the range, the mag holds 10 rounds. Had nine FTE's Took it back to Pop-Guns, the guy worked on the mag (bent the lips out) took inside their range had 7 FTE's. He worked on it again, went back to their range, had 1 FTE. He worked on it again, fired entire mag with no FTE's. At this point, this was my daily carry, I had no confidence in this gun. If I had to pull it and defend myself or family I needed the peace of mind that it would operate correctly with each pull of the trigger. The gun had at most 50 rounds fired through it when I traded it in (at half the price I had paid for it). I now carry a Taurus PT145. Great gun, no issues, accurate, powerful, and sub-compact, perfect conceal weapon. IMO, Hi-Point's are not a weapon I would have faith in if my life or families lives were on the line.
    Sorry you had a bad experience with yours. I wish I could have been the person to buy it for half price. If I was not able to get it working right myself, I would have sent it back to the factory and they would have made it right.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I did buy a Hi-Point carbine 995TS. I have not had any issues with this gun. It is a blast to shoot, ammo is cheap, plus it looks cool. Like a poor man's AR. I know about Hi-Point's lifetime warranty and the fact that is made in the USA. (Which I completely support) but as a daily carry it was not IMO a reliable gun. When the SHTF I need to know without a shadow of a doubt when I pull the trigger the gun goes BANG everytime. Not BANG, BANG, CLICK, FOLLOWED BY AN OH SH%T.

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    I admit that I have never had my hands on one. I just can't bring myself to own one. No real reason, except pride I guess.

AnimalMother88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    If it's all you can afford, then more power to ya. They aren't consistent with my experience. One may feed like a champ, the other may be a dud. The quality control just isn't there. My first pistol was a .40 Hi-Point and it was junk. Absolute garbage! It jammed every third shell and would not feed HP at all.
    I would suggest looking for something like a used Glock or a Smith and Wesson Sigma. The Sigma can be had very cheap right now. If you buy a Hi-Point don't be surprised if it lives up to the bad reputation.You get what you pay for.

The best I've heard them described is that they are the best of the worst (i.e. Bryco/Jennings).

Good Luck

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    That is unacceptable for a handgun. If a gun has one failure then I am getting rid of it. I have no tolerance for failures of any kind. I had a beretta 92F that was beautiful and it had a failure and I traded back to the guy that I bought it from. Some people say these guns(Hi-Point) are good and I believe them but I am not interested in a Hi-Point. I will say that I did buy a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm as a young kid and it never had a problem ever. Overall they have a good reputation but there are always accounts like this that scare me away.

CGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I've got to say I was very skeptical about hi-point, I still can't understand how they can make a $150 pistol, but I had the opportunity to shoot the hipoint 9mm. It's a god awful ugly pistol. It looks like something from star wars, all heavy on the slide and light on the frame. But it shot well. Well at 15 yards I held 5" groups which is all center mass in a self defense situation.

If I were going to be doing any competition shooting, a hi poit I would not use. If I wanted the absilutely cheapest new gun I could find for home defense, I think that's a Hipoint. Having said that I personally am not a fan of buying the absolute cheapest anything, so it's not likely I'd buy one. We'll see what happens to my friends gun in 5 or 10 years. Then again if it only lasts 10 years before imploding, you got your moneys' worth.

By the way sorry for the typos. I am too lazy to correct.

Last edited:

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    My cousin has a HiPoint 9mm. Every family event we have we always shoot.I am saying this from hands on a physical experience. This gun jams atleast once a clip. I am not exaggerating either. Sometimes it could be 5 times. The magazines fitment is shotty at best. I wouldnt spend close to $200 on it by any means. Id save $50 more bucks an look at Keltec, Bersa, even Skky. I may spend a $100 or less on it for a screw around gun, and thats about it. I would take a sharp blade over one of these as a carry weapon.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    My cousin has a HiPoint 9mm. Every family event we have we always shoot.I am saying this from hands on a physical experience. This gun jams atleast once a clip. I am not exaggerating either. Sometimes it could be 5 times. The magazines fitment is shotty at best. I wouldnt spend close to $200 on it by any means. Id save $50 more bucks an look at Keltec, Bersa, even Skky. I may spend a $100 or less on it for a screw around gun, and thats about it. I would take a sharp blade over one of these as a carry weapon.
    He could just send that gun back to Hi Point and get it fixed for free, but it sounds to me like he would rather have the excuse to bad mouth Hi Point than to give them a chance to make it right.

hick185

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I've been thinking about getting a high point for a truck gun and something cheap to carry around the farm and not have to worry about it. I've been following the high point forums for several months now and there are a few things that i've learned.
    it seems that the 40 and 45 are more reliable out of the box then the 9mm and 380.
    a few of the designed features "frighten" some people. like not having a firing pin safety. basically all the safety features of the gun involve keeping the sear from moving. and the extractor is the firing pin. BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER. If you rack the slide back fast enough and hard enough to eject the live round it COULD go off.
    when you get your pistol take it apart clean and inspect it. learn how everything fits inside. load your mags and let them sit loaded for a few days to break them in. the mags seem to cause the biggest problems but its usually fixed by adjusting the lips.
    the biggest thing that i've learned is that for the most part they are good guns. but after reading thousands of posts about them the people that give up on high points expect perfection out of the box and don't seem to be willing to tweak on them and work out any bugs. the people that love high points are more then likely going to tinker with them and spend a little time working out the bugs.
    the best advice i can give you is just to go to a high point forum and read. if you have any questions ask the folks there. they seem like good people and are willing to help.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    He could just send that gun back to Hi Point and get it fixed for free, but it sounds to me like he would rather have the excuse to bad mouth Hi Point than to give them a chance to make it right.

I agree, but its not my gun. But at the same point, you shouldnt have to send something back out of the box in my opinion.

Top Bottom