• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i would say save up another 150-200 $ and grab a pistol that you can keep for a lifetime, something that doesnt qualify as a cheap plinker or "50$ throw away" (ive seen them used off the street for about that)...expand your funds to around 300-350$ and your options increase ten fold...don't just buy something just to have a 9mm or 40 or whatever, do your research, save your chips and buy a firearm with a history...for right around 300-400$ you can find NEW Rugers (think P95/90/345, S&Ws (mostly the Sigma Series), plenty of Tauruses (almost all of their Mill Pro and 24/7 line up of guns), and a few different quality wheelguns (SP101, Bodygaurds and a ton of Taurus Snubbies)...i realized that i have missed a lot of brands but i was just shooting from the hip....hell i got my P95 (:rockwoot:) for 300+tax and it has been super reliable (maybe 10-15 fte and ftf in the first 100rnds, which i have 1600+ thru it now)....it's a dream to shoot...:yesway:

And do you plan on being by his or any other persons side that you give this advice to?

How would you feel if you gave this advice to a neighbor or relative and they lost their life because YOU told them to save another $150.00 to 200.00 to buy a pistol that will last a lifetime.

I know how I would feel, like a big ole piece of :poop: because my advice caused them not to have something that would at least gave them a chance.

You know what also gets me, people spout all this :poop: and then forget that when the KelTec's came out they was so horrible that people came up with their own solution and posted the "Fluff and Buff" to improve the reliability and function of it.

Do you hear people kicking KelTec's around like some bastard stepchild?

I don't like glocks, but ya know what, I don't go out and tell people to not by one.

Let a person have a chance to defend themselves while saving money to buy their "Lifetime gun"

Because saving money means jack turd if someone breaks in and kills them when they was advised to squirrel away to buy a better gun.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    11 pages is too much for me, especially with the day I've had. So I'll offer my thoughts having only read the first and last pages...

I bought a 40 High Point last year. I had never owned a handgun and wanted to find out if I would enjoy shooting one before sinking $500-600 in one. I LOVED IT!!! I understood what it was, a cheap, but effective handgun. I had issues with it: stovepipes and jams mostly. Some were likely my fault, some may have been the gun. Everyone that shot it had decent accuracy and enjoyed it.

Today, my wife bought an XD45 compact. The difference is like night and day! The HP never felt quite right in my hands. The XD settles in perfectly as soon as I grab it. The HP had a sharp snap and was not comfortable to shoot for extended periods. The XD is not near as sharp and though I only ran 70 some rounds through it, it felt GREAT!!! The HP often had issues loading the first round. The XD never had a single issue.

My thoughts: If the HP is what you can afford, buy one. But keep saving your money, because it is a gateway drug to the rest of the handgun world. Besides, when you do upgrade you can always sell the HP and not have to worry about taking too big of a loss. Btw, keep your eyes on the classifieds, mine will likely be there soon!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had nothing but good experiences with hipoints. If you can afford better then buy better, but if that is all you can afford then there is nothing wrong with that. They are cheap priced, bulky and low capacity compared to other models from other manufacturers, but they are reliable and accurate.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I have a lot of respect for high point firearms. I have yet to own one but I have shot them on several occasions and I'm planning on picking up one. I live in bfe and we've been having some recent issues with poachers and meth heads after stuff to make their drug. While I do have some of the 600 to 700 dollar pistols, I don't carrry them on the tractors and such as to protect them from being beat up. That's why I want a high point, a cheaper priced gun that will still go bang. Id get it if I were you

thumper31768

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    never cared for them i looked at one and my friend let me shoot one it jamed up 5 times and it just was to top heavy and ugly well i carry glock

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Really, this says it all. You're not open to listening so why ask? HiPoints are fugly and cheap. That, however, is my opinion and if you like it, carry it!
    agreed, sounds to me like the op doesnt want to hear the bad , just wants to be reassured that he is making the right decision. if your looking at home defense , pick up a shotgun. Ive never shot a hi point, but i do own a cheap pistol. A cobra, it was extremely cheap and all ive had is problems with it. i would never go cheap again. When it was my only weapon i was constantly worried that someone would break in and it would jam on me.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    agreed, sounds to me like the op doesnt want to hear the bad, just wants to be reassured that he is making the right decision.
    OK, is it possible that you don't want to hear the good?
    if your looking at home defense , pick up a shotgun.
    I agree with that!
    Ive never shot a hi point, but i do own a cheap pistol. A cobra, it was extremely cheap and all ive had is problems with it. i would never go cheap again. When it was my only weapon i was constantly worried that someone would break in and it would jam on me.
    I like my Hi Point. I was able to buy A Hi Point .45 pistol A Hi Point 9mm carbine and a good used shotgun all for about the price of a Glock. Hi Points are not for everybody but, if you buy a used one, you can readily get your money back for it, so I say it's worth a shot.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    ... snip... Ive never shot a hi point, but i do own a cheap pistol. A cobra, it was extremely cheap and all ive had is problems with it. i would never go cheap again. When it was my only weapon i was constantly worried that someone would break in and it would jam on me.

Lemme get this straight. You've never owned a Hi Point. For that matter you've never even shot one. You've probably never even held one. Have you even seen one in person? But you do own a completely unrelated gun, from a completely unrelated company, based on a completely unrelated design and that gives you the authority to judge a Hi Point? Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    OK, is it possible that you don't want to hear the good?I agree with that!I like my Hi Point. I was able to buy A Hi Point .45 pistol A Hi Point 9mm carbine and a good used shotgun all for about the price of a Glock. Hi Points are not for everybody but, if you buy a used one, you can readily get your money back for it, so I say it's worth a shot.
    im not looking at buying one anytime soon so im not interested in hearing good or bad, it just seemed to me that the op was dead set on the pistol and not interested in anything else. And i wasnt trying to say hi point was bad, just that i had a bad experience purchasing a cheap pistol. and that he may want to avoid the possible heartache and maybe try purchasing a used pistol for a little more that has a better reputation.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Lemme get this straight. You've never owned a Hi Point. For that matter you've never even shot one. You've probably never even held one. Have you even seen one in person? But you do own a completely unrelated gun, from a completely unrelated company, based on a completely unrelated design and that gives you the authority to judge a Hi Point? Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
    No what gives me the authority is that i live in a country where freedom of speech is allowed.and a public forum is built up by opinions of the people on it.What gives you the authority to question me ? I was simply trying to get the point across that you get what you pay for.

John224

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    239   0   1
    Apr 8, 2010
    West Indianapolis
    It's been a while back, at least several years, I worked in one of the local gun shops. I would sell you one if you really wanted one, but I would also let you kinow that the Hi Point was one of the most "returned to the factory" we sold. If you want one get it, but they used to have problems. Maybe they are corrected now. But leaves a bad taste so to speak.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    No what gives me the authority is that i live in a country where freedom of speech is allowed.and a public forum is built up by opinions of the people on it.What gives you the authority to question me ? I was simply trying to get the point across that you get what you pay for.

You seem to be confused about RIGHTS and AUTHORITY. You have the right to say anything you want. Authority comes from knowledge and experience in a subject. In general, exercising your right without any authority leaves one looking foolish. Oh, although this forum is available for public use, it is a private site owned by Fenway. He, and those he authorizes, are allowed to control the content in any way he sees fit.

As for my authority, you said it yourself. This forum is built on the statements of the members. We all have the right, authority, and maybe even an obligation to call BS when someone makes such an assinine statement as you did earlier.

I'm happy to continue this discussion, but since it is off-topic of the OP, perhaps it would be better done in private. Send me a PM if you really want to discuss this further.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    im not looking at buying one anytime soon so im not interested in hearing good or bad, it just seemed to me that the op was dead set on the pistol and not interested in anything else. And i wasnt trying to say hi point was bad, just that i had a bad experience purchasing a cheap pistol. and that he may want to avoid the possible heartache and maybe try purchasing a used pistol for a little more that has a better reputation.
    You raise a good point, and the "you get what you pay for" argument does have some merit. The truth is that you and I could buy the same item and what might seem like a heartache to you, would seem a bit more like a challenge to me. Both of my Hi Points have functioned flawlessly from the word go, but if someone told me they had a Hi Point that was a worthless piece of crap I would send them a low ball offer and have fun with the challenge of getting it working right myself. If I couldn't get it working right, I still wouldn't be upset because I would send it back to the factory and they would fix it or replace it.
    I did say Hi Point isn't for everyone, but unless I miss my guess it is the right gun for the guy in the OP. He might not know everything about Hi Point, but it seems he knows who he is. I would also give you credit for knowing who you are. You are not a guy who wants to mess with breaking in an inexpensive gun, and that is alright with me.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    You seem to be confused about RIGHTS and AUTHORITY. You have the right to say anything you want. Authority comes from knowledge and experience in a subject. In general, exercising your right without any authority leaves one looking foolish. Oh, although this forum is available for public use, it is a private site owned by Fenway. He, and those he authorizes, are allowed to control the content in any way he sees fit.

As for my authority, you said it yourself. This forum is built on the statements of the members. We all have the right, authority, and maybe even an obligation to call BS when someone makes such an assinine statement as you did earlier.

I'm happy to continue this discussion, but since it is off-topic of the OP, perhaps it would be better done in private. Send me a PM if you really want to discuss this further.
    Just remember that opinions vary. I don't have a problem with much that he said. This is a discussion forum and we are discussing here. The discussion seems to have ruffled your feathers a bit so I applaud you for stepping back, but don't let it raise your blood pressure.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You raise a good point, and the "you get what you pay for" argument does have some merit. The truth is that you and I could buy the same item and what might seem like a heartache to you, would seem a bit more like a challenge to me. Both of my Hi Points have functioned flawlessly from the word go, but if someone told me they had a Hi Point that was a worthless piece of crap I would send them a low ball offer and have fun with the challenge of getting it working right myself. If I couldn't get it working right, I still wouldn't be upset because I would send it back to the factory and they would fix it or replace it.
    I did say Hi Point isn't for everyone, but unless I miss my guess it is the right gun for the guy in the OP. He might not know everything about Hi Point, but it seems he knows who he is. I would also give you credit for knowing who you are. You are not a guy who wants to mess with breaking in an inexpensive gun, and that is alright with me.
    i completely see where you are coming from. And trust me i have been working on my pistol to make it more reliable. Im not sure where the other guy is coming from. Like i said i have no experience with hi points, all im trying to get across is that purchasing a firearm that is cheaper and has a lot of negative reviews isnt the best choice for someones first pistol and only source of home defense. I made the mistake of doing that and my pistol was my only weapon for hd, and like i said earlier, it always made me nervous thinking what if someone broke in and it jammed.and again not saying hi points are junk or bad, just now i am very cautious about cheaper firearms, i think the money would be better spent on a used revolver if he has his heart set on a pistol

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    i own two c-9 and one 9mm carbine all are great...pistols very accurate and would lay my life on them.rifle has a dust to dawn scope, an look out at 100yds tag ur it..

bk1330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Jeffersonville,IN
    I have had 2 hi points one brand new and one used. I can honestly say they were bar none the two most reliable pistols I have ever shot except for ruger revolvers. I have friends who own there carbines same thing reliable. Now after saying that I don't currently own one anymore because they are just way too heavy for concealed carry and I have alot of just fun guns to shoot at the range. But I did find myself in a local gun shop the other day looking at a new .45 acp carbine so odds are I will own one again. I would have no fear in trusting me or my families life with one. But I do no this if you are getting one just to save money shoot good ammunition through it because none of them that I have shot have liked wolf ammunition or cci blazer they like brass ammo.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have had 2 hi points one brand new and one used. I can honestly say they were bar none the two most reliable pistols I have ever shot except for ruger revolvers. I have friends who own there carbines same thing reliable. Now after saying that I don't currently own one anymore because they are just way too heavy for concealed carry and I have alot of just fun guns to shoot at the range. But I did find myself in a local gun shop the other day looking at a new .45 acp carbine so odds are I will own one again. I would have no fear in trusting me or my families life with one. But I do no this if you are getting one just to save money shoot good ammunition through it because none of them that I have shot have liked wolf ammunition or cci blazer they like brass ammo.
    The 9mm carbine sure likes the Federal from Walmart! I haven't tried the cheaper steel case ammo, but I am saving up brass anyway, so I probably won't.

Top Bottom