• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am most likely older and fatter than you but next time I get to Indy I may have to give this a whirl. How many mags do you need for something like that? I currently only have one for my .45.

The HP 45 will fall into Production class, you will need atleast 4 mags on your belt and one in the gun, so 5 total.

I am 38yrs old and 325lbs and have treated my body as an amusement park since birth.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The HP 45 will fall into Production class, you will need atleast 4 mags on your belt and one in the gun, so 5 total.
    I have to buy 4 or 5 extra mags plus some kind of rig to hold them on my belt, just to prove to you I am confident in my pistol? Are you kidding me?:tantrum: I think I am going to have to let you remain unconvinced.
    I am 38yrs old and 325lbs and have treated my body as an amusement park since birth.
    I am 52 and shall we say, I was right on both counts.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    The biggest concern I have when someone says that they can't afford to save up for a more expensive gun is whether the same person is able to save enough money to shoot a cheaper gun regularly to make sure it works. Whether a gun costs $160 or $5,000, you have to feel comfortable with it and train with it regularly. I am lucky in that my wife allowed me to purchase a nice Kimber and continues to allow me to shoot $100's worth of ammo. Just because my Kimber cost more (a lot) than a Hi Point does not automatically make it more or less reliable. Your training and repetition, as well as the confidence that you learn your gun earns and deserves based on it's performance, is what makes the biggest difference. Good luck and send a range report when you buy and put some rounds through it.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I am right there with you. If $160 is "all you got" then I might be time to reevaluate your situation. This is less of a gun issue and more of a resource problem (or lack thereof).

If you can only swing a $160 gun then how much ammo do you have in reserve? What about holsters or a proper gun safe? Plus if you can't swing more than $160 then it might be time to quit thinking about a gun and drop what you have into a savings account until the situation improves.

The biggest concern I have when someone says that they can't afford to save up for a more expensive gun is whether the same person is able to save enough money to shoot a cheaper gun regularly to make sure it works. Whether a gun costs $160 or $5,000, you have to feel comfortable with it and train with it regularly. I am lucky in that my wife allowed me to purchase a nice Kimber and continues to allow me to shoot $100's worth of ammo. Just because my Kimber cost more (a lot) than a Hi Point does not automatically make it more or less reliable. Your training and repetition, as well as the confidence that you learn your gun earns and deserves based on it's performance, is what makes the biggest difference. Good luck and send a range report when you buy and put some rounds through it.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have to buy 4 or 5 extra mags plus some kind of rig to hold them on my belt, just to prove to you I am confident in my pistol? Are you kidding me?:tantrum: I think I am going to have to let you remain unconvinced.I am 52 and shall we say, I was right on both counts.

So, you have a pistol and only one magazine.....that makes no sense at all.

So, apparently you don't carry this gun.

Nylon/canvas holsters, for the most part are cheap, offer zero retention and usually have issues when reholstering.

Look, I am not trying to pick on you, are anyone for that matter, but people think that standing still and gingerly shooting at a fixed target makes there gun and skills adequate. When you start adding movement, reloads and target transitions to the mix, that is when things fail.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I am not trying to pick on you, are anyone for that matter, but people think that standing still and gingerly shooting at a fixed target makes there gun and skills adequate. When you start adding movement, reloads and target transitions to the mix, that is when things fail.

I don't use mine as a carry weapon. That's not what I bought it for, so as of now I do not have an appropriate holster. I'm not making any guarantees at this point, but if I can find or borrow an appropriate holster, I will run my C9 when I participate in some training next weekend. This training involves all the elements you claim cause failure. I will be running precision cartridge reloads as well.

Even if I do this and all goes well, one training session is just that, one training session. I'm not a stranger to guns but I'm no expert either. I consider myself an enthusiast like many others on this board.

Again, the only thing stopping me is a holster. Anyone have a recommendation or one I can borrow? I'm not a Hipoint hater but I'm still not going to spend $100 on a holster for a $180 gun.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I am right there with you. If $160 is "all you got" then I might be time to reevaluate your situation. This is less of a gun issue and more of a resource problem (or lack thereof).

If you can only swing a $160 gun then how much ammo do you have in reserve? What about holsters or a proper gun safe? Plus if you can't swing more than $160 then it might be time to quit thinking about a gun and drop what you have into a savings account until the situation improves.

I am unemployed and have a hard time buying a hi point, so you really think I should put my money into a savings account and hope no evil happens to me, my wife, or my child? So I should become defenseless? Even if I could buy a hi point and a mag full of rounds, that's still a fighting chance....just saying.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville

I have a holster, at least 100 rounds of .45, and a good gunsafe already. If I wanted money tips from a stranger, I'd go to my nearest CPA. So go ahead and keep your advice to yourself

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Again, the only thing stopping me is a holster.

I just remembered, I do have an Uncle Mikes "sidekick" holster for this gun. It fell behind a cabinet in my den months ago and I forgot about it. I dug it out and took a look at it. Its a reinforced nylon with a removable retention strap. I wouldn't use the strap for training purposes of course. Its barely used so its still pretty stiff and has reasonable retention even without the strap. I don't think Gary is very strict about holster requirements due to these training sessions being rather informal. However, informal or not, what he does for us is REAL training. As long as its OK with Gary, this holster, while not ideal, is an option. We'll see what happens.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    So, you have a pistol and only one magazine.....that makes no sense at all.

So, apparently you don't carry this gun.
    Not really, no. I can't carry at work and I'm sort of a home body, so I really only carry at the range.
    Nylon/canvas holsters, for the most part are cheap, offer zero retention and usually have issues when reholstering.
    OK, mine seems pretty sturdy and it's stiff enough that I have never had any trouble reholstering, but it's true, I don't use it all that often.
    Look, I am not trying to pick on you, are anyone for that matter, but people think that standing still and gingerly shooting at a fixed target makes there gun and skills adequate. When you start adding movement, reloads and target transitions to the mix, that is when things fail.

Pick away, I am a grown man and I can handle the fact that opinions vary. Adequate gun skills are a relative thing, I think. I lived over 50 years without ever owning a gun, and now that I am a gun owner, I'm not going to make it the most important thing in my life, but I do train as much as seems practical to me.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Random acts of violence (especially home invasion) is actually very rare. Setting that aside, no one is saying not to protect your family, but one some might suggest a different strategy.

Should you _become_ defenseless? No, but do you only consider yourself "defended" with a gun / hi-point? There are other things to learn - situational awareness, knife training, the arts or krav maga.

Buy whatever gun you wish, but don't be the guy that can only afford X and then has to sell it later to make a 'payment' because purchasing the gun was too much of a stretch in the first place. We see it far too often.

I am unemployed and have a hard time buying a hi point, so you really think I should put my money into a savings account and hope no evil happens to me, my wife, or my child? So I should become defenseless? Even if I could buy a hi point and a mag full of rounds, that's still a fighting chance....just saying.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    CPA could help, but a financial adviser is what you are going for. Just sayin.

I have a holster, at least 100 rounds of .45, and a good gunsafe already. If I wanted money tips from a stranger, I'd go to my nearest CPA. So go ahead and keep your advice to yourself

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    the fact is No amount of training will say how YOU will react to a gunfight be it at home or in the street, training can help greatly but I believe it is always what is inside of you that will make the difference, be it fight or flight it you may not know until then, no matter what you beleve.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

DING DING DING

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I think people need to start retooling their thought process and embrace ANY person who is not a gun owner and pat them on the back for taking the first step and in the direction to protect themselves and family.

A thousand dollar Kimber can and will malfunction just as easy as a 160.00 Hi-Point pistol, and if you fail to see and realize that, then tuff crapola when it happens to you. I don't want it to happen to you in a life threatening situation, I want it to happen on the range next to the guy with the crappiest handgun on the range so everyone can look and go :rolleyes:.

As gunowners we need to support each other, not criticize. The person is buying what they can afford at the time.

Being a lifelong Taurus owner I've taken more than my share of abuse, but ya know what, every Taurus I've owned has went bang every time I had a good round of ammo in the chamber.

My Hi-Point Carbine has done the same, and there has been more than one occasion that I have entertained the thought of buying 1 or 2 Hi-Points for strategically located immediate home defense guns in case I can't make it to my main defensive handgun.

That said, I welcome any responsible person taking the proactive position and buying a handgun to protect themselves. This way I hope they catch the bug and purchase more when they can, because as we all know, firearms are like Lays Potato Chips.......

You just can't stop at one!:D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Random acts of violence (especially home invasion) is actually very rare. Setting that aside, no one is saying not to protect your family, but one some might suggest a different strategy.

Should you _become_ defenseless? No, but do you only consider yourself "defended" with a gun / hi-point? There are other things to learn - situational awareness, knife training, the arts or krav maga.

Buy whatever gun you wish, but don't be the guy that can only afford X and then has to sell it later to make a 'payment' because purchasing the gun was too much of a stretch in the first place. We see it far too often.

Would love to learn krav mags, only place to learn is in indiana and sure it would cost more then a hi point. Training cost money most of the time, but I have a knife that nevers goes dull.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Yes I am definitely not dirt poor. I am 23 years old with a mortgage, car payment, etc...And unfortunetly I don't have an extra $500 layin around for a good pistol. As they say, you gotta start somewhere, and I think Hi-point may be my best bet.
    i would say save up another 150-200 $ and grab a pistol that you can keep for a lifetime, something that doesnt qualify as a cheap plinker or "50$ throw away" (ive seen them used off the street for about that)...expand your funds to around 300-350$ and your options increase ten fold...don't just buy something just to have a 9mm or 40 or whatever, do your research, save your chips and buy a firearm with a history...for right around 300-400$ you can find NEW Rugers (think P95/90/345, S&Ws (mostly the Sigma Series), plenty of Tauruses (almost all of their Mill Pro and 24/7 line up of guns), and a few different quality wheelguns (SP101, Bodygaurds and a ton of Taurus Snubbies)...i realized that i have missed a lot of brands but i was just shooting from the hip....hell i got my P95 (:rockwoot:) for 300+tax and it has been super reliable (maybe 10-15 fte and ftf in the first 100rnds, which i have 1600+ thru it now)....it's a dream to shoot...:yesway:

Top Bottom