• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    esrice, I know a LE Armorer who's *technically* qualified with one. Not hardcore stuff, but a measured course FWIW..

I could see that.

I have no experience with Hi Points. From the pictures it looks awkward at best. And that safety lever has me wondering what that would be like to disengage under stress.

What type of action is it? Double action?

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For the price, they are excellent. I bought a 45 and never had any problem with it until I tried hollow points. Stick with FMJ and they are completely reliable. Nothing feels safer next to the bed than a hand cannon. (The looks aren't much different either :):)
    A friend bought the 9mm carbine at the beginning of the year and is great fun to shoot. If you are looking for reliability, they are great. If you are looking to shoot over 30 ft accurately, save money.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'm not sure what you'd call them.. IIRC (been a while) they have to be cocked via slide action to operate, so they're not really double action.. I really don't know what they'd be considered, and a quick look at their website doesn't say..

My wife loves her 9mm Hi Point, though.. and not because I can't afford anything else for her to shoot!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If the pistol is just going to be used for plinking, go for it. If it is going to be used for protection, no way. There is a reason why they are only $160 and do you want to bet your life on it?
    I paid $150 for my 12 ga, and yes I would trust it for protection!
    Stevens.jpg

I paid $169 for my Hi Point .45 and I trust that too! I pull the trigger, it goes bang. I trust it just fine, but the 12 ga is meaner!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have two C9s ( currently trying to sell one) and both mine work fine , are reliable with both fmj and hp ammo. My biggest complaint is the lack of a slide release lever. Slide locks back on empty mag but needs a short tug after reload. Can't have everything for $140 I guess. Always feed and fire tho.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I'm not sure what you'd call them.. IIRC (been a while) they have to be cocked via slide action to operate, so they're not really double action.. I really don't know what they'd be considered, and a quick look at their website doesn't say..

My wife loves her 9mm Hi Point, though.. and not because I can't afford anything else for her to shoot!

I asked one guy and he refered to it as a "blowback action". Does that make any sense?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Nobody going to touch this one? OK. :)

I dont own a Hi-Point, I dont carry a gun worth less than 1K bucks these days.

If you gave me one, I would sell it, and buy 100 $$ worth of reloading components.

Now if I was dirt poor, it might be another story.

But nice guns are a joy in themselves.

The above is PERFECT example of gun snobbery.

You don't own it, but you feel it's your duty to throw your 2 :twocents:'s in there on the comment section about it.

Not everyone has the $1000.00 to throw down for a handgun like you can, and your fancy pancy thousand dollar gun can malfunction just as easy as a $160.00 one can, the problem is, you don't own one so don't feel the need to chime in about it.

I don't own a Hi-Point handgun, but I do own a 995 carbine in a ATI stock and I've had the privileged of making a couple of Beretta carbine owners pretty red faced when my $200.00 model A carbine outshot and performed their supposed top of the line Beretta Storm.

Because of this, there has been more than on occasion I've thought of buying one of their 9mm handguns to carry as a console gun.
    If I do, I imagine it'll perform just as good as the carbine. After all, if Hi-Point was putting out a crappy product that did'nt hold up, they'd go broke just trying to do warranty work, they've been around for more than a little while so it proves they must be doing something right.

Oh btw way Dom, I see you have an affection for the M&P, must have went out and bought a gold plated pimped out one, since you don't believe in owning any carry gun under $1000.00.:D

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

You don't own it, but you feel it's your duty to throw your 2 :twocents:'s in there on the comment section about it.

No need to get defensive. :twocents: He's just stating his opinion like we all are.

I also don't own a HiPoint. I have heard great things about the carbines, and I haven't heard much either way on the handguns. I've handled the handguns, and they are heavy and ugly as sin IMO.

If I only had $175 to spend on a handgun and I didn't have another handgun, I would buy the HiPoint rather than go without.

I carry an HK P30L, and it doesn't make me a "snob". I have certain requirements in the areas of fit, finish, and reliability (to name a few) that must be met before I entrust my life to my pistol. EVERY single person on this board is the same way. HiPoint doesn't meet my requirements, so I don't own one. It's as simple as that.

To the OP: If you're happy with the fit and reliability of the HiPoint then by all means, go for it. :twocents:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville

Yes I am definitely not dirt poor. I am 23 years old with a mortgage, car payment, etc...And unfortunetly I don't have an extra $500 layin around for a good pistol. As they say, you gotta start somewhere, and I think Hi-point may be my best bet.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'd rather go with a $160 Hi-Point then without....I shot a buddy's c9 and it shot well consistently, may consider it

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
    Heaven forbid you only spend $160 on a gun that works!
    It just makes all the people that have uber expensive 1911's jealous because theirs dont really work all the time but are really "pretty."
    I say go for it!

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    I personally have a highpoint 380 and a 9mm carbine rifle. They are both cheap, ugly, but they do shoot true. they are still fun to shoot, clean, and everything else. they are very cheap and yet I have never had any problems with any of mine. I would say go for it if it is just a plinker.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Not everyone has the $1000.00 to throw down for a handgun like you can, and your fancy pancy thousand dollar gun can malfunction just as easy as a $160.00 one can, the problem is, you don't own one so don't feel the need to chime in about it.

I don't own a Hi-Point handgun, but I do own a 995 carbine in a ATI stock and I've had the privileged of making a couple of Beretta carbine owners pretty red faced when my $200.00 model A carbine outshot and performed their supposed top of the line Beretta Storm.

Because of this, there has been more than on occasion I've thought of buying one of their 9mm handguns to carry as a console gun.
    If I do, I imagine it'll perform just as good as the carbine. After all, if Hi-Point was putting out a crappy product that did'nt hold up, they'd go broke just trying to do warranty work, they've been around for more than a little while so it proves they must be doing something right.

Oh btw way Dom, I see you have an affection for the M&P, must have went out and bought a gold plated pimped out one, since you don't believe in owning any carry gun under $1000.00.:D
    I don't know that preferring $1000 guns makes one a gun snob. People have their preferences, and I am fine with that. He did say he would conciser a Hi Point if he was dirt poor. I personally would not consider a $1000 pistol unless I were very wealthy. I simply like my Hi Points too much.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Have any of you guys that carry a Hi Point pistol for personal protection ever ran one in a training class? I'd be curious to hear how they work in a training environment.

I doubt you will get a response to this question. If a person can only afford a $160 gun they will not have the funds to seek out costly instruction.

I am a confirmed HighPoint hater, not doubt, but I will fully admit that if a HP is all you can afford it is better than nothing at all.

As far as my personal experiences with HP handguns, the few that I shot wouldn't run. I also was shown the remains of one that was dropped on concrete from about 2.5 feet, the slide snapped in two. I don't care how good a warranty or CS is, that is not acceptable QC to me.

I have also seen reliability problems and parts breakage from higher dollar guns, but those guns were used in very hard shooting enviroments.

I still offer the following challenge. The first person that shows up with a HP pistol at a USPSA match and the gun makes it thru a match with out breaking, I will give them their money back for match fees and ammo costs. And, if they beat me, I will give them the amount to buy another HP in cash. However, if the HP craps out, the shooter owes me match fees and ammo costs and I get to publicly bash the shooters poor choice in guns for eternity. :D

Top Bottom