• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I'm thinking about getting a Hi-point 995 9mm. Does anyone own or have experience with one? Are they worth the 270 price tag? Or is there a better 9mm carbine out there? I've looked at the Kel-tecs and I am not impressed.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I had one of the original 995's, ($169 black Friday deal 3 years ago) the stock was absolute crap, so I put ant ATI stock on it, but is effected reliability, so I traded the gun off.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the new TS guns, if the price was right, their stock feels much better.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I've got the 995TS. it's not a bad little rifle... I find it to be limited to "range toy" status due to the ridiculous 10 round magazines.... thinking of getting rid of it and picking up a JR Carbine in 9mm.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I love mine. Had a few problems with it initially, but I sent it in and after the fix, it works great. No problems getting them to honor the lifetime guarantee. With the laser for the "point and click option" the red dot, and extended mag (no probs with it as well) I think I have about $260 invested.

I do like the look of the JR Carbines. Thinking I might just have to get one of those as well.

Here's mine:

picture.php

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I had one for a short time, but like previously mentioned, its limited in use because of the 10 round mags. Mine was reliable. They do not like aftermarket mags though and the hi-point owners group website has many statements about why not to use aftermarket mags. It will use the Hi-Point pistol mags. There are alot of options with 9mm carbines. I prefer one that allows higher capacity mags.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I have one, they work fine. Not anything I'd put on display or take to a match but reliable fun. Are the prices up that much? Believe I paid around $150- a couple of years back.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    You can get one cheaper if you look, I picked mine up for $150 used at MacDonald's Guns up in Marion. Lifetime transferable warranty, and a fun little plinker. The first time I took it out to a range, I let some friends try it out, and one of my buddies offered to trade me 2 .22 rifles for it.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Love mine, have not a dime of trouble out of it. Looks like it came from the planet of the apes, but functions with out a flaw and reasonably accurate to 50 yds. Eats anything that I put in it. Paid $150 for mine.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For what they are, they are not bad. Nice shooters and the experiences I have with them are positive. Nice range toy, but I do not like the limited capacity they have. I have a KT sub2k that I love. I went with it over the HP because it shares mags with my Glocks and I have much more mag capacity. Just depends what you intend to use it for. If it is for a plinker at the range the HiPoint will do just fine.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have one, its alot of fun to plink around with. The GF loves shooting it. I gave like 250 for mine an it came with 6 mags. Just shop around and you can usually find a decent deal on one.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Cant get past the 10 round mag

I have considered getting one but just could not get past the limits of a 10 round mag. And as previously posted they don't like aftermarket mags. So if Hi-point ever decides to bump up the round count in their mags I will buy one, until then... :rolleyes:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    They show up used and in our own classifieds fairly often. If you find a good deal I'd recommend trying it. Even if it is the old style stock, you can buy the new stock directly from Hipoint for about $40 shipped. Its a great gun to buy used because no matter what may be wrong with it you can always send it in for free repair.

I agree that the capacity can be annoying. A similar gun in a double stack configuration would be awesome.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have owned the 995 in 9mm. Tack driving little carbine. Ate everything I fed it. I kept two additional magazines on the stock. (HiPoint sells them.). Used it as a home defense carbine. Thinking about picking up the new one in .45 ACP.

Top Bottom