• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So for the longest time I couldn't get myself to try appendix carry....you see we once had a patient in the ER who blew his mandhood off putting a gun in his pants. Which is ridiculous of me. A proper hoslter plus manual safety means I'd have to take the gun out of the holster, point it at myself, remove the safety, and press the trigger in order to hurt myself.....

So I tried it out last night at home. Dry of course.

It was surprisingly comfortable, faster on the draw, and wwwaaayy easier for my skinny butt to conceal a weapon with....

But I have a question. At times I was having an issue getting a proper grip on the gun during the draw. It may have something to do with the fact that my new holster for my new M&P hasn't arrived yet, so I was using a crappy soft hoslter.

Anyway....anyone have any good resources on a propper draw from the appendix position?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A proper hoslter plus manual safety means I'd have to take the gun out of the holster, point it at myself, remove the safety, and press the trigger in order to hurt myself.....

Ummm, no, not at all.

The pistol can drop and shoot you in the little ER a la Steve Malloy.

Or, you can be touching the pistol in the holster and set your little ER on fire like this police officer:

Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Lt. Shawn Currie [Not Shown] | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

Get a dowel rod. When you holster as you are seated or hunched over like all the appendix carriers, where is the path of the bullet? It will not be a fun revelation for you.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ummm, no, not at all.

The pistol can drop and shoot you in the little ER a la Steve Malloy.

Or, you can be touching the pistol in the holster and set your little ER on fire like this police officer:

Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Lt. Shawn Currie [Not Shown] | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

Get a dowel rod. When you holster as you are seated or hunched over like all the appendix carriers, where is the path of the bullet? It will not be a fun revelation for you.

I fail to see how a proper holster and manual safety wouldn't have prevented this?

Assuming the report was accurate of course.

And yes. I know where the muzzle is pointed. Why do you think it took me so long to try it?

Edit: I now understand you were being sarcastic.

Last edited:

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Aaron, if you're having trouble getting a proper grip on the gun in the AIWB position, your holster is likely riding too low. You should be able to comfortably get your middle finger all the way up the grip to the trigger guard and form your grip before drawing up out of the holster. Many AIWB holsters that I've seen run the gun too low.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Armed Dynamics just did a video the other day about it.
    http://youtu.be/rvc_Ixc8cIA

Thanks. This video was far more informative than the one I found on Yeager's youtube channel....
    Why doesn't that surprise me?

Aaron, if you're having trouble getting a proper grip on the gun in the AIWB position, your holster is likely riding too low. You should be able to comfortably get your middle finger all the way up the grip to the trigger guard and form your grip before drawing up out of the holster. Many AIWB holsters that I've seen run the gun too low.

Yeah it was a really low riding holster. I think it was the major culprit.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Armed Dynamics just did a video the other day about it. ...

So around 12:22 and 12:47 I notice his reloads are behind the reaction side hip. It seems like the same arguments they're making for the appendix position of the handgun would also hold true for the position of the reloads. I'm guessing he may have a knife around 11-12 o'clock, but it seems like, if the philosophy is going to be consistent, the reload should be farther forward.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Think about it this way, just about ANY carry option is going to put some part of your body (or someone ELSE's body) in line with the muzzle at some point from when you pick up the weapon until you set it down again. Appendix carry, hip, small of back, IWB, OWB, ankle, or something else, you still have moments when you are pointing the gun at yourself.

Here you are relying on the gun's built-in safety mechanisms (manual safety, trigger safety, other) to keep the gun from firing on its own. You are also relying on the holster to prevent anything from touching the trigger accidentally or negligently and firing the weapon.

Is there some risk? Yes, obviously. Is it an acceptable risk? That's a personal question since it's your "junk", or leg, or foot, or hip, or whatever the "target".

I'm sure it's happened in reality, but in spite of the news media's successful campaign to make people believe that gun "just go off all on their own", guns generally DO NOT spontaneously fire.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Why I prefer a hammered pistol for AIWB: I can put my thumb behind the hammer when reholstering.

NOT a fan of striker fired or single action only (including single action striker fired, like XDs) for appendix carry.

Spend a good amount on a holster, don't cheap out or think "I'll make due with an (insert something cheap the local gunstore pushed or had available)".

Any carry method has dangers and benefits. I love the "more" benefits of AIWB, but it has many more dangers compared to 3-5 oclock. :twocents:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As long as we're talking about the dangers of AIWB vs behind the hip IWB, let's be intellectually honest.

Think about where your gun is in behind the hip carry. It's located somewhere in the 4-6 area.
    What is also located in that area?
    Well your spine is at 6, and from 4-5, if I remember correctly, there is a nice nerve cluster there. (Doing more research on this now)

What happens when you fall on your spine or that nerve cluster? You could slip on wet grass, ice, snow, down the stairs, etc. and bang, now you have real problems walking. Oops.

What happens when you fall on your AIWB? Not much. It hurts, you have some brusing. So what?

So what's more likely? Using a quality hoslter and safety, you manage to have the gun "go off" magically and shoot yourself, or you slip/get thrown down on your back?

What's really more risky here?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So around 12:22 and 12:47 I notice his reloads are behind the reaction side hip. It seems like the same arguments they're making for the appendix position of the handgun would also hold true for the position of the reloads. I'm guessing he may have a knife around 11-12 o'clock, but it seems like, if the philosophy is going to be consistent, the reload should be farther forward.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Yes. Many who carry AIWB carry the spare mag horizontally anti-appendix. This doesn't conceal for me. Trying to use an IWB mag pouch is uncomfortable for me which is why I don't carry my spare mag where you suggest. Others, as you mention, carry a knife in that position, and a few, another gun.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Yes. Many who carry AIWB carry the spare mag horizontally anti-appendix. This doesn't conceal for me. Trying to use an IWB mag pouch is uncomfortable for me which is why I don't carry my spare mag where you suggest. Others, as you mention, carry a knife in that position, and a few, another gun.

I'm built completely differently than Mike...a mag pouch horizontal at 12:00 opposite my appendix holster is my absolute favorite place to carry it. I pull it out to the left, and it goes right in the gun. Totally invisible, and totally comfortable. It's worth a shot. If you are skinny enough that when you look down the part sticking out the furthest is your belt buckle...it probably won't work as well. For the rest of us, it can be an awesome place to carry an extra mag. I use the dale fricke horizontal pouch along with the archangel holster mentioned earlier. I did add a piece of foam at the bottom like the Keeper's concealment holster based on all the positive reviews of that holster. I like it better with the foam.

Top Bottom