• Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Looks like they're asking anywhere between $65 and $95 on Gunbroker:
    Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

Only thing is I'm not sure if there is any difference between what you are calling a "lock bar" rear sight and a standard M1 Garand rear sight. I saw another rear sight on Gunbroker that used the words "lock bar" listed for $145 and was just the "guts", looks to be just the internals, not the entire sight:
    M1 Garand WWII Lockbar Rear Sight Early Type III : Small Rifle Parts at GunBroker.com

Here's an entire lock-bar rear sight assembly listed for $150:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=313195523

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I dunno.... I found them on my M1A and they shouldnt be there...

I guess the benefit is the sights cant shift unless unlocked?

SAM_0517_zps7d70d43b.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

Not sure either. I have a Garand and an M1A. The rear sights are about identical. I can't imagine the knobs shifting on one of those rifles. Maybe the lock-bar is just an older design. The newer versions, like the ones on the later Garands and the current M1As, look like a more robust design than the old lock-bars. But the "advantage", I am just guessing, is the historical appeal for collectors.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I would agree.

I learned something tonight. I didn't know about lock-bar rear sights until just now. What is the advantage?

No advantage but they are "period correct" if one is trying to get ones M1 Garand in original WW 2 condition. Kind of like "Flip Up Sights" on an M1 Carbine. Most of these weapons went back to arsenals (after the war) to be brought up to par and the original sights as issued were often the first thing to be upgraded.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Like previously stated the Lock Bar sites were used in WWII to "Lock" the rifles sites once zeroed. They were usually replaced if the rifle was ever rebuilt. It looks like someone just switched rear sites on your M1A. I have several Garand and M1A sites if you want to swap for the Lock Bar.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    From what I garner its a very early Type 1 with 60/40 threads

Type 1 Lock bars are pretty hard to come by and can be worth considerable more then the Later Type 2 or Type 3 Lockbars.

Type 1's will have a short pinion that will be well below flush when the lockbar is tightened down. Type 2 and 3 Lock Bars will have a long pinion that will be flush with the lockbar when it's tightened down.

Great find.....:yesway:

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    Lockbar sights were replaced for a reason.To someone restoring a garand it's worth money to make it correct but I wouldn't give you $5 for everyone made.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Locking bars Sights on M1A not that uncommon

SAM_0517_zps7d70d43b.jpg

With regard to a locking bar rear site. It is not all that uncommon to see them on a M1A. I have seen it before as original factory installed. Most generally though it is on M1A's made during the late 70's and early 80's. From what I have read. When SA started making the M1A it was with surplus M1/ M14 G.I Parts. My M1A is ALL GI parts and it was made in Dec 1988 at SA. It came that way. With regard to the value of a locking bar M1 Garand rear site. Definitely do not just give it away it is worth more than a M14 GI rear site. :D

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    lock_bar.jpg

Lock bars are rectangular part used to tighten the rear sight. Early pre war sights often loosened during firing, and the retaining nut was replaced by a bar that could apply greater tension. After WW II a satisfactory sight without lock bar was used that was used on the post war rack grade Garands and all rack grade M14s. For what you can sell these for you can buy a NM2/A sight. That would be an UPGRADE for sure.

Top Bottom