• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I don't know why I'm hesitant to OC, I CC all the time when not at work...but OC...hmm, I am most certainly not ashamed of my gun, but cannot bring myself to OC...any thoughts? How do I overcome this?:dunno:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You simply must OC and it will become natural just like when you first started CC'ing. You will notice that life goes on and no one really notices and after a while you will forget that it is there and that no one is looking and pointing at you.

Start slow if you must, OC around the house and get used to the feel and comfort of it being there then start going out in public.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have been open carrying around the house and while out doing yard work and it is getting to be more comfortable for me.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I normally CC, but occasionally depending on what I am wearing I have OC'ed and I have never had anyone say anything to me about my weapon, now of course I am generally in a pair of Khaki pants, dress or polo **** buzz cut, clean shaven, so that may help but it really isnt any big deal...

INGunGuy

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I just OC a day or so per week and pick certain places that I know won't be an issue and then work into OC anywhere I go. It is not as awkward as you may think. It took me a little while too.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Hopefully this is not a thread hijack but rather a stimulus to open the topic up a bit.

So far, I only CC. I don't want anyone to know I am carrying in case I do have to defend myself. A Ranger friend of mine said it best, "No one should know you have it until the moment before you put one in their head."

For those that OC, what is your reason? You certainly do open yourself up for a hassle when you do, so is it because it is your right and you are exercising it? Or are you attempting to end some kind of trouble before it begins?

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have never OC'd yet and I really doubt that I do unless there is some pressing reason to like a change in the law.

I've read the +/- of OC vs CC and see both sides. OC just doesn't fit my style. I'm not the kind of person that pushes the envelope in these areas. I am very grateful that there are those that do though.

I've also thought about why I carry and it's simply for protection of myself and others. I think when you OC, there is the possibility, maybe even only slight, that you give up your element of surprise or become the immediate target.

Keep in mind I'm still relatively new to the handgun community and am still forming/changing my understandings. If I'm being 100% honest here, I once gave a speech in college (many, many years ago) against carrying at all and mandating training for license. I've come a long way since then and, in another 10 years, I may be OCing a bazooka around. You just never know.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    MOst people are so caught up in their own lives that they don't even notice you even though you are thinking everyone is staring.
    It's perfectly natural to be self concious about doing anything that makes you appear different even if different is better.

On the other hand you don't have to open carry to be a man/woman.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Hopefully this is not a thread hijack but rather a stimulus to open the topic up a bit.

So far, I only CC. I don't want anyone to know I am carrying in case I do have to defend myself. A Ranger friend of mine said it best, "No one should know you have it until the moment before you put one in their head."

For those that OC, what is your reason? You certainly do open yourself up for a hassle when you do, so is it because it is your right and you are exercising it? Or are you attempting to end some kind of trouble before it begins?

I've talked to one friend about this and he really seems to welcome the questions and conversation from the people who see him open carrying in public. He has actually made a pretty good point to me that if enough people open carry, it may help to condition the public that guns and people carrying guns aren't bad.

I, however, won't do it. Mostly because I don't want the hassle. But, good for the rest of you who do open carry.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Mrsmitty,

You seem perfectly happy with concealed carry, and uncomfortable with OC. Why do you want to change and get used to OC? Just a question, not a criticism.

Sometimes folks (like myself) like to do something beyond their comfort zone, "just because." Is that your reason?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    OP, you will only get comfortable through doing. It's not a big deal to OC, but it isn't for everybody, and that's fine. As suggested, wear it around the house or yard until you stop "checking" it every couple of minutes by having your strong hand graze the gun. You DON'T want to do that in public (and CC'ers, this applies to you, too. It's not all that concealed when you are touching that portion of your belt line constantly. You may think you are being unobtrusive, but you aren't. Get a GOOD belt. It'll do wonders for making your gun "disappear").

I've yet to be subject to a "MWAG" call/encounter (knock on wood), but I would recommend that you be prepared for an encounter with law enforcement. This isn't to deter you in any way from OC'ing (I obviously do so myself) but you want to be relaxed and sure of yourself and the law, rather than be skittish. The only way to prepare yourself adequately is to KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND KNOW THE LAW. As for how to respond if you do have an encounter with law enforcement, there's plenty of threads on here describing good responses/bad responses, good encounters/bad encounters. Reading some of them may give you an idea of what you might expect so that you may be adequately prepared and will then be able to post another "good encounter" thread, of which I would love to see a lot more!

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't OC because I don't want to deal with the social consequences. It would harm my standing in the social circles where I operate. That's just the truth. My friends know I carry and many of them do, too.

I respect the right to OC, and I admire the folks who do it for activist reasons. And I agree in principle that a right unexercised is a right lost. I have to balance all the competing interests in my life, however, and to me it's not a cause I want to take on, especially in one of the gun-friendliest - maybe the MOST gun friendly large metropolitan area in the country.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN

I agree with this 1000%. If you're vigilant and have eyes in the back of your head, watching every person all around you, all the times, then yeah, go for it . Open carry to your hearts content. But if you want to relax, shop, hang around or whatever and not be so alert and vigilant, then open carrying only makes you the first target for a perp when something goes down. Why open carry at all? To publisize carrying in general? The only thing you do by OC'ing in my opinion is "lose the element of surprise" .

Maybe there is good reasons for open carry. I'm not aware of them but perhaps OC isn't for everybody. I myself am perfectly fine and much more comfortable with CC.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here we go again....

No, because this is a pre-emptive warning. If you (not YOU, personally, 45pro) can't stay civil, you're out of here.

As a side note: If you can't use sarcasm as an effective communication tool, then you shouldn't use it at all. Putting it in purple will NOT save you from the ban hammer.

:mods:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Comfort

If you're going to carry, carry however you're comfortable. Never allow anybody to talk you into doing something with a gun which makes you uncomfortable. Carrying a gun is not about making a statement!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I'm also uncomfortable with OC for myself. I have no problem when I see others doing it, I'm just uncomfortable doing it myself. I don't see any need to change that, as I don't see any plus for me to OC. I think my reasons for not wanting to OC are as follows:

1. I am not my gun. I think when people who are unfamiliar or uncomforatble with firearms, or especially those opposed to them see someone OCing, that's all they can see. You become your gun or at least whatever their pre-conceived notion is of people who OC. I'd rather not have people focus on my gun. It's not the center of my life and I don't want it to be the center of others' attention when interacting with me.

2. Some people are simply scared of guns. We can debate all day whether this is rational or not but frankly I just don't want to scare people or make them uncomfortable. It's not my mission to change everyone's minds about guns by being the nice middle-aged lady who OCs and doesn't fit into their sterotype.

3. In the kind of work I do, I go into peoples' homes a lot. I don't want them seeing me OCing at the grocery store on Sunday and then have them be concerned if I come into their home on Monday.

4. I just don't want to feel as self-conscious as OCing would likely make me feel.

5. From some of the stories I read on here, OCing can indeed invite hassles that I just don't want to deal with.

So, after really examining my reasons for not wanting to OC, I've decided that there really is no reason for me to try to get over my discomfort about it and Ive just chosen to CC. I think if you really think about WHY you are uncomfortable OCing you may have your own answer.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ask yourself a few questions.

Are you willing to leave a place before you are ready?
    Are you willing to receive questions from curious or concerned people?
    Are you willing to listen to someone ranting that you shouldn't have a gun?
    Are you willing to be confronted by police regardless of the outcome?
    Are you willing to be inconvienced for your choice?

If you answer no to any of the questions, then you probably shouldn't OC.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I feel the same as ElsiePeaRN. It also doesn't help by my appearance at times. My job I get very dirty alot. And don't shave everyday. So, I don't want the possible MWAG hassle after working 12-14hrs. Which is why my choice is CC'ing. To those that OC it is great to have the choice.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Ask yourself a few questions.

Are you willing to leave a place before you are ready?
    Are you willing to receive questions from curious or concerned people?
    Are you willing to listen to someone ranting that you shouldn't have a gun?
    Are you willing to be confronted by police regardless of the outcome?
    Are you willing to be inconvienced for your choice?

If you answer no to any of the questions, then you probably shouldn't OC.

Dead on. This really should be stickied. I OC very often, and I have talked to those who say they would like to as well but are hesitant.

OCing is a burden that those of us who do it are willing to carry. In my case it is not for a tactical advantage, though if it helps thwart a crime that would have been committed otherwise, so be it.

However, I do it specifically because of the above post. I am not only willing to endure those things listed, but rather I welcome them. I truly look forward to the opportunities I have when a stranger sees me OCing and works up the courage to ask me about it, whether positive or negative.

I welcome the opportunity to educate a police officer who is less informed about the laws and the rights of the citizens they serve. This can only have a positive impact on society for us gun owners.

I do not OC to scare people. I try to be as presentable in appearance as possible when I OC, and when people do approach me about it I treat them kindly and warmly, and I do not get defensive.

But I do believe that this post by Rookie should be stickied somewhere. These are truly the questions one must ask themselves if you wish to have your OCing make the greatest impact possible on society's perception of gun owners and carrying in general.

Top Bottom