• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muzzleloaderbill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Ligonier
    Cool. But did you blow down the barrel. I know the old times use to blow down the barrel. At most muzzleloading clubs and the NMLA. Blowing down the down the barrel is a big no no.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You NEVER point a firearm at something that you don't wish to destroy. In this case you put it in your mouth...dum dum dum. Doesn't matter if it is a muzzle-loader or if it "isn't loaded"...many people have been killed by guns that "weren't loaded". This is how you teach a first timer...wow, just wow.

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You NEVER point a firearm at something that you don't wish to destroy. In this case you put it in your mouth...dum dum dum. Doesn't matter if it is a muzzle-loader or if it "isn't loaded"...many people have been killed by guns that "weren't loaded". This is how you teach a first timer...wow, just wow.

It wouldn't move much air but you could blow from the breech end. Nothing wrong with putting your mouth on a nipple. . .

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm not going to fight the "blow smoke vs don't" battle here. It's enough of a controversy in the traditional and reenacting community.

It's not something I would teach, and I told her not to do it, but it is historically accurate and it's what I've chosen for myself.

The other two ways are to attach a rubber hose to the nipple and blow through that (historically incorrect) or swab the barrel (historically correct and the one I plan to use at public ranges).

1892-buf-hunt-spit-250a.jpg

Frederick Remington was known for his historically accurate subject matter.

blowing down the barrel, etc... - Traditional Muzzleloading Forum - Muzzleloader Flintlock Black Powder

It is very much considered an individual choice in the traditional muzzleloading world.

Please stop with the negative reps now, people.

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You call that fat? I only wish I was that fat. :)

Man, I get to 300lbs each winter. Vitals are still 107/57 72bpm 97% 02 sat but my ideal weight, taking into account muscle, is 210-220. It's cyclic, has nothing to do with what I eat, and it sucks.

I do think that since my ancestors are predominantly German and Irish and Neanderthal :): it's probably a survival thing. Still don't like it. Makes me look doughy and pasty.

Dad's retirement job is the head of maintenance at the local YMCA (he was a GM engineer). As such, I got to try out the Y.

My complaint was that most of the weight machines' max settings were my starting weights :rolleyes: and with the broken hand (you can see it right below the left pinkie knuckle if you look) I couldn't use the free weights.

They have a nice pool though and I might go for that. I do have a bad habit of not quitting in the water when I should, though. I was born to swim and tried to get the SEALs to take me a few times, but joint damage kept me out of the service period.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble about myself. My ideal mental image of myself no longer matches what I look like, and I need to get that rectified.

Thanks,

Josh

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    antigunner

I don't shoot enough black powder to need to use the blowing down the barrel method.

I will say that my uncle did it all his life. He was born during the wrong time period though. He built muzzleloaders/black powder rifles from scratch. Never hunted deer with anything but a flintlock either. I don't remember him ever not hitting where he shot.

Great job turning a anti gunner. I did the same with a CA friend. She couldn't believe how much fun it was. Crazy part was that she still thought that firearms were bad but wants to shoot anytime we go...

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Why do you blow into the gun at the end?

Im just curious, I dont know anything about black powder rifles.

The very first gun I ever shot was a muzzleloader and have been shooting them since 76. The reason to blow down the barrel of a MZ is that a residual spark or ember might be in the barrel and then when you load another round of powder down the barrel and go to push a lead ball down the barrel.... BOOM, either the ramrod and bullet go flying around, or at the least you get a nice powder burn. Another reason to load with a measure than straight from a powderhorn. Nothing like a large supply of powder blowing up in a bulls horn or other storage method.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I used to shoot at both Friendship, and with the Ky Corps of Longrifles, it was standard practice to blow down the barrel, as was stated before it removes the smoke and clears the touch hole, plus we would run a spit patch down the barrel just incase, between shots, when I get my new flintlock running, I will do the same...Josh, I have the bullet mold boxed up, it will be sent soon, just haven't the time to go to the post office

Top Bottom