• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    11590927955_7fa48e03c9.jpg

This is my M1885 type 18 Japanese Murata long rifle. They are scarce and one intact such as this are even more rare! Here are more pics for the obsolete and hard-to-collect lovers out there.

11591244514_1f37aaefcf.jpg

11591244534_902fc8e5fd.jpg

11591137413_4095f87924.jpg

The mum is even still untouched on this rifle and the bore looks like new.

11591624724_6d015fc314.jpg

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Caliber is 11mm Murata, very close to 11mm French Gras in dimensions. In fact, I use fire-formed Gras (Bertram) brass to load for it. Yes, the two holes are to jet away gas in the event of a case rupturing. This rifle was a Japanese attempt to duplicate European single shooters of the day such as the Gras and '71 Mauser.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Larry you really have one of the holy grails of collectibles there, it's impressive to say the least. I would love to fire a round in that rifle, just to say I had the privilege of having done so. One of these days we all need to get together for a an old/rare/scarce as hen's teeth range day to add to our memories collection. There's just no way lover's of old iron can possibly own and collect it all anymore.

Thanks for sharing that, I can only imagine what the serious Japanese collector's would give to have that back on the Island.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I found this one in California. I usually like to find my guns at a show or dealer so that I can look hands-on at the item. I had dealt with this dealer before and trust his judgement. Yes, trophyhunter a get together to shoot would be good. Have you ever heard of "Shutzenfest" at Delphos, Ohio? The guys over at Surplusriflesforum.com do it twice a year. I went 4 or 5 years ago and had a great time. Maybe we could get some like-minded obsolete and antique addicts together for a shoot sometime in the future. I shoot at Atterbury Shooting Complex in Edinburgh, IN most of the time but I would go anywhere within reason.
    I can update the thread a bit. The wife and I shot the Murata for the first time today (52 degrees and sunny!). It has a beautiful trigger and shot about 12" high as expected. I forgot to take my chronograph so I'm not certain but nice mild load about 1300 fps.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom