• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I have mixed feelings about a Glock being a first gun. On one hand, they are simple, reliable tools that do their intended job well. On the other hand, they are terribly unforgiving of mistakes. If you get your unload sequence backwards, you get a ND when you field strip for cleaning. If you buy a cheap holster or carry with no holster, both of which are common newbie mistakes, you have a higher chance of an ND

i agree. IMO a glock should never be anyone's first gun.

A handgun with an exposed hammer and real safety would be best. Add in a blackstrap safety and double action to the equation and it would be ideal. A beretta f92 aka m9 would be a decent first handgun. It was designed for the most nooby and clutzy of all gun owners: Officers in the military. More likely to shoot themselves or the floor than any bad guys.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    i agree. IMO a glock should never be anyone's first gun.

A handgun with an exposed hammer and real safety would be best. Add in a blackstrap safety and double action to the equation and it would be ideal. A beretta f92 aka m9 would be a decent first handgun. It was designed for the most nooby and clutzy of all gun owners: Officers in the military. More likely to shoot themselves or the floor than any bad guys.
    this : you will most likely end up owning at least one Glock for the rest of your life, once you experience one. BUT, I would also suggest the full size .9mm Beretta to start with. they are one of the nicest shooting .9mm pistol's on the market. IMO. and accurate. there was one in classifieds the other day under $500.

Last edited:

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Glock 19 or 26
    19 for more all around general purpose, easy to shoot well. 26 for more concealment for a newbie, yet easy to shoot well. Both 9mm will be affordable and fun to shoot, and can be carried well.

Top Bottom