• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am with bigtanker, ruger SR9C is a great gun for pistol beginners. I would normally recommend an older p series ruger for a starter but it's not really the best for carrying concealed. SR9C is just as durable and easy to use but smaller. I sold mine a couple years ago and have wanted another on ever since. I think I might just start looking.

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    Title is pretty self explanatory...

A buddy of mine is waiting for his LTCH to come in the mail and has asked me to help him decide on a handgun. He is looking for a multi-purpose firearm to serve for HD, Carry, and target. He is familiar with firearms, but never owned. He shot both my XDm and XDx last week and did a pretty good job.

That said, he's looking to spend $400-$450, so a XD(m/s) is out. If he is newer to guns and wanting to carry, he is going to want a smaller framed gun like my XDs in my opinion.

That has led me to the following options to look:

Kahr CM9/40
    S&W Sheild 9/40

I agree with the compact over the subcompact logic for new carriers. Don't overlook the Kahr cw9. In size this is comparable to the shield and xds. IMO very comfortable to shoot and accurate. Holsters are harder to locate at the lgs, but readily available online. Price new locally is @ 399

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A Glock is about as simple as you can get in operation, but should not be carried without investing in a quality holster and belt. If you skimp in the belt, you get a gun that flops around and is uncomfortable. But, skimp on the holster with a Glock and you get a dangerous situation. Cheap holsters have contributed to NDs. If your friend understands that a Glock is only half the equation and requires a quality holster and is willing to put out another $50 to $150 for it, then a Glock can be a great first handgun.

A 1911 was my first handgun but I don't think I'd recommend that direction for everyone. A 1911 is not for the casual user. There are lots of good choices for the gun owner that's not into guns per se, and a 1911 is not one of them. Having said that, they can be an excellent gun for someone that wants to learn the ways of the 1911. One advantage a 1911 has for new owners is that it can be holstered with multiple safeties preventing a ND. If you have your finger outside of the trigger guard, thumb over the hammer and are not touching the grip safety, even if a flap of the holster gets caught in the trigger guard, the gun is not going to go off. Can't say that for the Glock, which is why you MUST have a good quality holster with Glocks.

If your friend can try out a CZ 75B Compact, he may just find the perfect gun for him. It's a 9mm steel pistol that dampens recoil very well, can be had with either a safety or decocker and carries very well. There are lots of safety features that make new shooters more comfortable. They are also some of the most comfortable handguns you can find. Replace the stock plastic grips with rubber ones and it gets even better.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I am with bigtanker, ruger SR9C is a great gun for pistol beginners. I would normally recommend an older p series ruger for a starter but it's not really the best for carrying concealed. SR9C is just as durable and easy to use but smaller. I sold mine a couple years ago and have wanted another on ever since. I think I might just start looking.
    :+1:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    IMHO, a person's first gun should not be a "pocket pistol".
    A full size or even a mid size gun like a Glock 19 or SR9c is a much better choice, as long as it has a full size grip & feel.
    Full size guns are easier to shoot and practice with a lot.
    New shooters need to shoot a lot to get their skills up and it's a much more pleasurable experience with a full size gun.
    If they want a compact for carry, that's fine but they need to learn the skills first on a regular full size gun.... IMHO.

Glock 19 is probably the best choice, if not it should at least be a 9mm.
    Used ones are easy to find for a reasonable price too.
    everyone should own a Glock 19. :rockwoot:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Go shooting with some INGOers. Have him try out different guns.

I think so far this is the best advice given. Everyone feels more comfortable with Gun X for different reasons. I would see if you could round up some people and get a pretty good variety of pistols and spend a day or half day shooting them all and figuring out the Pros and Cons and going from there.

Once your friend found something they really like you can start looking for deals on used or new pistols for what they really want. :twocents:

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    For a first gun and a gun he plans to carry, which I take hes out on revolvers, I'd go with either the smith you recommended or a glock 19 in 9mm.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I'd recommend you go with him to a gun shop and rent a couple of those subcompacts. He has already shot a couple of fine pistols with your XD's. It is better to wait to save money to buy something well suited to his needs than to just buy something for the sake of buying something. If he can only buy one pistol, then looking to the compacts would be the best choice instead of sub compacts. He can also just keep an eye on the classifieds here and might find a pistol for a better price than what he could buy in a gun store.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Go shooting with some INGOers. Have him try out different guns.

I think so far this is the best advice given. Everyone feels more comfortable with Gun X for different reasons. I would see if you could round up some people and get a pretty good variety of pistols and spend a day or half day shooting them all and figuring out the Pros and Cons and going from there.

Once your friend found something they really like you can start looking for deals on used or new pistols for what they really want. :twocents:

Of course it's good advice.
    :)

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    For a first gun and a gun he plans to carry, which I take hes out on revolvers, I'd go with either the smith you recommended or a glock 19 in 9mm.

I'm going to try to find a place to rent both of these.

I'd recommend you go with him to a gun shop and rent a couple of those subcompacts. He has already shot a couple of fine pistols with your XD's. It is better to wait to save money to buy something well suited to his needs than to just buy something for the sake of buying something. If he can only buy one pistol, then looking to the compacts would be the best choice instead of sub compacts. He can also just keep an eye on the classifieds here and might find a pistol for a better price than what he could buy in a gun store.

The fact that he has access to my XDM at any time, I feel as though he will benefit from buying a compact himself. I'm going to keep an eye out here for any used deals. Thanks!

Of course it's good advice.
    :)

Absolutely. A trip to BGF is in our future. :)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    There are some STAR Firestar 9mm's for sale at SARCO. This would be a good first gun.

STAR FIRESTAR M43 9MM

I have a M45 that is a daily carry for me. The 9mm would be a bit smaller and lighter with the requisite lighter recoil.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    From a review I found to be accurate located here: Star m-43 firestar, 9mm | Gun Reviews | The Outdoors Trader

The little gun has good controls that mirror a 1911. The grips are soft rubber and feel good in the hand. Being all steel, recoil is pleasant and not issue for such a small gun. The accuracy is very good. In fact I say that it will hold its own with other compact pistols costing twice even three times as much. Quick follow up shots are easy. Once my dad fired it he ran back and bought a Firestar in .40 S&W and .45 ACP. both in Starvel finish. I think he was sold. The barrel is a bushing less type and the feed ramp is supported. The sights are in a 3 dot combat configuration, dovetailed front and back, with the rear having a set screw to adjust windage. (Note: the rear sight does not adjust, the 'set screw' is used to remove the sight for removal of the firing pin)

So,

Pros:
    Compact solid steel gun at a reasonable price
    Controls mirror 1911 (train as you fight-if trained with a 1911 this one is natural for you)
    Single stage trigger consistant each shot
    Stippled front strap, back strap and trigger gaurd
    Fixed beaver tail
    Accurate and easy to control
    Reliable

Cons:
    All steel is not lightweight
    Stock triggers are reported to be mushy
    The finish is not stainless and does require some level of maintenance
    The sights are on the smaller side compared to a Glock
    Star is out of production, but a Swiss company bought rights to Star in 2003
    Some still fear condition one in a 1911 style pistol

For an inexpensive compact pistol for around $300, this one is possible choice. It really is an underrated pistol.

and from wiki on the 9mm:

Weight1.88 lbs (855 g) empty
    Length6.50 in (165 mm)
    Width1.10 in (28 mm) at grip
    Height4.61 in (117 mm)

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have mixed feelings about a Glock being a first gun. On one hand, they are simple, reliable tools that do their intended job well. On the other hand, they are terribly unforgiving of mistakes. If you get your unload sequence backwards, you get a ND when you field strip for cleaning. If you buy a cheap holster or carry with no holster, both of which are common newbie mistakes, you have a higher chance of an ND during holstering.

I'm thinking that a pistol with an external hammer and decocker would be safer for most folks buying their first gun. If the gun does not require having the trigger pulled to field strip it, it is less likely to have a ND due to inexperience. The external hammer adds a level of protection during holstering by letting you put a thumb over it to let you feel if the trigger is caught and being pulled. I know, there will be a chorus of folks that say that all someone has to do is clear their holster before the reholster their pistol, but we are talking about newbie mistakes that happen every day. Most experience gun owners would not consider carrying a Glock unholstered IWB, but its still done every day by folks that don't think it through.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    ^^^

+1 on the decocker. After the first double action pull every round is single action crisp. I have a Ruger P90DC SS that I used as a service weapon and liked it a lot. I would have mentioned the same thing about the Glock except that I recently dissed a cult caliber as an amusement and the flamers came out of the woodwork.

My wife is relatively new to firearms and a good shot with every other weapons she's fired, but due to the long heavy pull of the Glock she put every round low and off target. I grew up with single action autos and just can't say I like the pull.

James20

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Woodburn
    I would go with a glock 26 or a 19. The cm9 and shield I think are too small for first time owners and too small for home defense. And the car has a beautiful trigger but maybe not for someone newer to guns.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I would go with a glock 26 or a 19. The cm9 and shield I think are too small for first time owners and too small for home defense. And the car has a beautiful trigger but maybe not for someone newer to guns.

Why would the Kahr trigger not be for someone newer to guns?

Top Bottom