• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agerm220

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    Hey guys! I recently purchased a dpx hest/f in triple black (as seen in picture). Upon further inspection, I observed that the titanium on the frame lock is flared out a tiny bit. Hard to see but it's there. This causes the blade to have some play in it. I was shocked that dpx didn't put a stainless piece that can be replaced like most lion steel knives have. Should they cover this under warranty since it is fairly new? I got it from bladehq

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey guys! I recently purchased a dpx hest/f in triple black (as seen in picture). Upon further inspection, I observed that the titanium on the frame lock is flared out a tiny bit. Hard to see but it's there. This causes the blade to have some play in it. I was shocked that dpx didn't put a stainless piece that can be replaced like most lion steel knives have. Should they cover this under warranty since it is fairly new? I got it from bladehq

I would contact BladeHQ and ask them how to proceed.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Vertical or horizontal play? Usually horizontal play is due to sloppy tolerances in the pivot area, or the pivot is just not tighten up enough. Vertical play is usually associated with sloppy tolerance (or wore out) with the stop pins. It's also possible that the angle of the lock bar face is off, causing the lock bar not to sit fully flush with the blade in the open position.

Last edited:

agerm220

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    Vertical or horizontal play? Usually horizontal play is due to sloppy tolerances in the pivot area, or the pivot is just not tighten up enough. Vertical play is usually associated with sloppy tolerance (or wore out) with the stop pins. It's also possible that the angle of the lock bar face is off, causing the lock bar not to sit fully flush with the blade in the open position.

Vertical play. Looks as if there is a gap between the lock bar and the knife blade

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Vertical play. Looks as if there is a gap between the lock bar and the knife blade

Well..... it's one of two things or both combined....stop pin slop or lock bar face not flush with the blade tang in the open position. I'd just send it back to BladeHQ, and not let this discourage you from purchasing another one. I have been carrying DPX HEST models since the company came into existence, and have never seen this problem before. The HEST folders are a very good quality folder for the price point. Unfortunately it looks like you got a lemon with this one.

agerm220

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    Well..... it's one of two things or both combined....stop pin slop or lock bar face not flush with the blade tang in the open position. I'd just send it back to BladeHQ, and not let this discourage you from purchasing another one. I have been carrying DPX HEST models since the company came into existence, and have never seen this problem before. The HEST folders are a very good quality folder for the price point. Unfortunately it looks like you got a lemon with this one.

I love the knife. Feels great. Looks great. They did well with this one. I love the blade, it's a freaking sland of steel. The ergos are awesome it absolutely melts in my hand.

Top Bottom