• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok I have been shooting my entire life and pride myself on keeping my guns spotless and well lubed....that being said I have recently accuired an old Remington 550 that is FULL of 60 years of carbon and crap. I have completely tore this gun down and want to know what I can soak it in for an extended period of time to safely remove all the junk caked on it.

I have heard diesel full but not sure how it will affect the bluing???

Any ideas of what you haves used in the past.

Thanks

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks

Thanks for the input....I just didn't have huge bottle of Hoppe's to use...I need to soak an entire barreled action and didn't know if there was and alternative method.

Looks like I will keep using the Hoppe's and a lot of applications and elbow grease.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Thanks for the input....I just didn't have huge bottle of Hoppe's to use...I need to soak an entire barreled action and didn't know if there was and alternative method.

Looks like I will keep using the Hoppe's and a lot of applications and elbow grease.

Put Hoppe's in an old spray bottle? Best thing I can think of without buying a gallon of it. :dunno:

thecollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    Clean

I would also plug the end and fill it with kerosene, It will not harm any of the blue and will also help start to loosen up things.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The guttering and PVC pipe deals are good ideas. Thank you!!
    Kerosene or diesel fuel are a lot cheaper than store-bought gun solvents and they work. And won't harm the finish. Do not use gasoline for anything but it's intended purpose. I found that out the hard way once and once was enough!
    It cost a little more but Seafoam fuel treatment really cuts the carbon and old oil ect. You can get it at Rural King, Napa and other auto parts places.
    OMC and Mercury outboard motor "enginetuner" works real good too but cost even more and is harder to get unless you live close to a boat shop. I don't.
    I like that Slip2000 CarbonCutter too. I think I bought it from MidwayUSA. It works pretty good.
    The Seafoam/Enginetuner/Slip2000 work better than the K1 and D2 for carbon. K1 and D2 are great for cosmoline ect.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    thanks

I just happen to have a can of Sea Foam.....I have been working with the Hoppe's for two days and still have carbon.......I am thinking industrial grad acid to get this sh!! off!!!!!!!

The guttering and PVC pipe deals are good ideas. Thank you!!
    Kerosene or diesel fuel are a lot cheaper than store-bought gun solvents and they work. And won't harm the finish. Do not use gasoline for anything but it's intended purpose. I found that out the hard way once and once was enough!
    It cost a little more but Seafoam fuel treatment really cuts the carbon and old oil ect. You can get it at Rural King, Napa and other auto parts places.
    OMC and Mercury outboard motor "enginetuner" works real good too but cost even more and is harder to get unless you live close to a boat shop. I don't.
    I like that Slip2000 CarbonCutter too. I think I bought it from MidwayUSA. It works pretty good.
    The Seafoam/Enginetuner/Slip2000 work better than the K1 and D2 for carbon. K1 and D2 are great for cosmoline ect.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    As a Diesel Mechanic, I can tell you with great certainty that Diesel fuel is a wonderful solvent. I would strongly suggest getting 5 gallons of it, buying a 6" diameter 8' length of PVC pipe, and 4 pipe caps. Cut the pipe into two 4' lengths, permanently cap one end of each pipe, fill it with diesel fuel, stick your gun in there (without the furniture/ stock on of course), and use the other cap as a lid. You could get all fancy, and get a female threaded adapter and screw in plug, but it doesn't need to be air tight.

Then you'll love this - Hoppe's 9 - No. 9 Air Freshener
    I want one for my car!
    Meh, soak a shop rag in it and leave it behind the seat of your truck.

Top Bottom