• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which for a truck gun?

• Total voters

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have been tossing around ideas for a new truck gun. I currently drive a ford ranger and the back seats have been removed to house my wheelchair lift, so space isn't something I have a lot of. I have been also trying to figure out how and where I could secure a rifle inside the vehicle. I thought about the roof of the truck interior, but then I won't be able to remove it if I'm outside the truck. The back seat is pretty much a no-go unless the rifle is super compact. I have contemplated putting a tool box in my truck at the rear of the bed to secure the rifle. I can't reach it if its up against the cab. So the most compact rifle possibly is best.

Here are the ideas for rifles I've been thinking about:

1. AK underfolder and keep 20rd. tanker mags for smaller size/weight. already possess AK in 7.62

2. Vector or Century UC9 Carbine. This can be very easily converted into an SBR and would probably be the smallest of the options. However its about 9lbs. I already have a 9mm handgun so ammo would be a match.

3. AK74 sidefolder. Ammo cheap, but ive heard mags are salty and I already have a AK in 7.62x39 and dont know if I want to add another caliber rifle.

4. M1 Carbine Paratrooper. lightweight and compact. Ammo is more than 7.62x39 and 5.45 and is not quite as popular but can still be easily found online and in gun stores. Again adding a caliber I don't have.

5. Keltec Sub2000 in 9mm. Compact, accepts popular magazines, has aftermarket parts and accessories.

6. AR15 lightweight. I already have an AR so ammo matching is a plus. Not as compact as any other rifle on the list.

7. Other, please explain

I tried a shotgun and really didn't like it. It was way to big. If I put myself, wheelchair, and girlfriend in the truck with my BOB my girlfriend didn't like the fact that she had no room on the passenger side with a remington 870 between us.

What would you get?

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Sounds like the AK underfolder would be a good choice since you already have an AK, are familiar with it, & uses a common round.
    A coworker has the Keltec & likes it, good for what they are....but kind of a cheap feeling gun.

It's not a semi auto or ideal as a defensive weapon, but I'd like to find a Springfield Armory M6 for a "truck" gun.
    Been awhile since I've seen one though.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I like the underfolder. Full sized rifle power and accuracy when unfolded, stows away in not much more space than a large briefcase. Durable, reliable, and already familiar to you. All your existing accessories from your other AK will already work, and you won't have to stock up on another caliber of ammunition. Sounds like the perfect answer.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    you can beat, run over, drop kick, throw, and even in the worst case.... use an underfolding Ak as a baseball bat.. mhm..

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted for the AK underfolder.

Should hold up well for a truck gun and can take abuse.
    You said you already have an AK and ammo so that is a plus.

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    i voted for Ak underfold. my AK is not a underfold but still fits nice and snug in there. It just a great weapon that i trust everyday and would put my life behind it in the worst case scenario

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think the OP wanted a rifle with a stock; which eliminates the Draco, unless he was willing to go the SBR route. At least, all of the weapons he has mentioned so far have had stocks.

Either way though, I have to agree with everyone here that the Draco/Underfolder would be your best route, depending on your stock/no stock preference.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I appreciate the input. I was weighing heavily with the AK underfolder. Rifle caliber I already have. Proven reliability. I won't care if it gets dirty or rusty compared to a carbine paratrooper. The draco SBR would be nice. Maybe Ill start with a AK underfolder and carry that while I purchase and get the paperwork done on a Draco SBR. Thanks guys!

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    To me, a truck/ranch gun sits in the gun rack in the back of the pick-up truck and is a multi-reason/task weapon. It needs to be accurate to protect the livestock and able to handle the wear and tear of sun exposure as well as a lack of caring that it will get beaten to death and scratched, scraped, and generally roughly handled and used.

1. This is not an expensive weapon but a mid-range quality that is inexpensive.

2. Flexible caliber that is readily available.

I would think:

Lever action, I like the older Marlins

A military gun like the Enfield, Noison, etc that is cheap to get

The High-Point Carbine, cheap and ugly already so who cares if it gets scratched?

Best of luck!

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I'd like to know how you are going to keep it hidden from anyone who might look into your windows. A target like that would be very tempting to a thief who saw it.
    I have a Ranger but it doesn't have extra room behind the seat. I've thought about putting in fake carpeting which matches the interior that hangs down and is velcroed at the top to provide concealment. The small area behind the seat is hard to see from the windows and that should provide sufficient cover.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'd like to know how you are going to keep it hidden from anyone who might look into your windows. A target like that would be very tempting to a thief who saw it.
    I have a Ranger but it doesn't have extra room behind the seat. I've thought about putting in fake carpeting which matches the interior that hangs down and is velcroed at the top to provide concealment. The small area behind the seat is hard to see from the windows and that should provide sufficient cover.

The rear windows in my truck are somewhat tinted, but not a great deal. If you had your face plastered up against the window you would be able to see inside pretty well. For an underfolder or something similar I thought about a pistol grip shotgun soft case. I could probably slide it at least halfway under the passenger seat and the rest would be obscured by the wheelchair lift. It wouldnt be invisible by any means. I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly where and how to place a rifle in my truck.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Well I finally got my new truck gun. CAI WASR10/63 under folder. I looked all over the Internet and couldn't find anyone with one in stock and on gunbroker they wanted $650-700 for one. Picked this honey for a cool $519 at a local gun store. Sitting on the couch watching armegeddon with my new under folder

6C782955.jpg

409FB4CB.jpg

Top Bottom