• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    No picture right now, but I found an old 22 rifle in a box of stuff that I had forgotten about.

It was given to me by my grandfather.

Its a very small (think Cricket rifle small, or smaller) 22 caliber rifle. Wood stock. Single shot. It loads a single 22 round FROM THE BOTTOM of the barrel.

On top of the barrel, it says:

Detroit Rifle No. II. Patent applied for. Mfg by Detroit Rifle Co, Detroit Mich.

Any body know any history on this thing, or even where to get parts?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

does it look like this?
    Detroit Rifle Co. No.11 .22 RARE? - The Firearms Forum.Com

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes. That is it. It is missing the cam lock assembly shown above.
    Think its worth any thing?

I have one as a wall-hanger, mine is similiar, bit has a round knob handle to actuate the slide, and was built in New York.

Be careful when you load it/shoot it, as mine shoots 22WRF (also called the .22 Remington Special). It is neither a 22 S/L/LR nor a 22WMR.

Courtesy of Midway:
    "The .22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF) is all but obsolete. It was designed for the Winchester Model 1890 pump action rifle and was later adapted to Remington and Stevens rifles as well as Colt Revolvers. Winchester .22 WRF loads used a flat point bullet.

Remington manufactured the cartridge, loaded it with a round nose bullet, and called it the .22 Remington Special. The two are actually the same cartridge and are completely interchangable.
    I mention it here because Winchester .22 WRF ammo will fit in a .22 Magnum chamber, but not the reverse."

If you're interested in parts, please let me know, I know a guy who might know a guy who can help.

Love the old guns, thanks for the pics Z!

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    old rifle

Yes, I agree with yogi. get the part or parts to fix it and just oil it and leave it as is. It will have a pretty good value as is, but if you restore it, it will cut the value in half or more. as a family item, that might not make any difference to you, and it is your gun, so do what you want with it, whatever makes you happy. but if it were mine, I would just oil and reoil, no scraping, no cleaning with steel or bronze wool, or anything else. that looks like a great gun, even if it's rough.

Top Bottom