• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cjcmajor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I recently decided to invest in a good quality o/u. I have previously used my remington 870 for my shotgunning needs (mainly trap and skeet). But i would like to upgrade to something that i could possible pass down to my kids someday.

i have been saving up and so far i am able to spend around 1000 dollars. I know this is not alot for what a good o/u costs. so i would hoping to look into the used market. But being new to the o/u world i dont really know what to look for when examing a "worn out gun" from a "like new condition".

basically i would like to know:

1) idea's for good used (long lasting) o/u
    2) what to look for one said firearms so i can make a informed and good purchase

thanks for all info you can provide in advance

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    You know, for the kind of money that you are looking to spend, you should be able to snag a good used Browning Citori or Ruger Red Label. The Citori's are notorius for "breaking in" the more you use them. Rugers are built like a safe - no surprise. Just look for something that fits you and do NOT be afraid to pick up a dozen or so guns and make sure that you like the fit before you buy it.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    +1 For the Browning Citori. I bought a very gently used Citori several years ago and love it. The advantage to buying used to me was that I was not afraid to take it into the field and use it for what it was intended. As always check for unusual wear and excessive "play or slop" when the action is opened or closed. Kind of like slamming the doors on a used car. You may need to add a little bit to your $1000.00 but like anything prices are negotiable. You might want to check out the Indiana Gun Club for a good selection of used shotguns. Often they will let you shoot their guns first to see what works best for you. Call first to make sure they are open. Here is a sample of what they have available.

Item Number 5767
    Make BROWNING
    Model CITORI HUNTER
    Gauge 12
    Bar Length 26
    Choke TUBES
    Action O/U
    New / Used Used
    Gun Case No
    Box No
    Accessories No
    Consignment No
    Pull / Release P
    Notes
    List Price 1195.00

Indiana Gun Club - Search

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Does a good Over-under have to cost lots of money? I don't think so...Try looking into a Stoeger condor outback. I read of guys putting thousands of rounds through them without one problem. Under $500.00.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    research some of the lower priced o/u's carefully...1 thing I have found is that some Stoegers, Franchis and a few other lower end guns develop problems with the internal triggers/safeties failing to switch barrel select automaticlly after moderate use.

Also find out wether you want shell ejectors or extractors because lots of people prefer one over the other...

For a reasonabley priced used o/u but probably a little more that $1000 are the Berettas....

In that price range you will obviuously have to pick basic field grade models and forego most of the engraved receiver models...but that has no impact on functionality....

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Stoeger's, Daly's and some others do make some good O/U. Still it is hard ot beat the pride of ownership of a Browning, Beretta or Ruger Red Label. The big thing is fit. I love Brownings, but the Red Label just seem to fit me better. I would look for the normal wear and tear, scratches, how tight the gun is etc.

Word of advice from a Ruger Red Label owner. When open the gun will not appear as tight as one of the B guns. This may be due to the differences in design and not necessarily from wear. The Ruger will simply fall open. Also, it is common for the automatic safety to engage itself with hot loads. You can send it back to Ruger or a gun smith can remove the the automatic safety. I have seen more then one lightly used Ruger have this problem so the original owner traded it off. Mine was like this when I bought it used, but a trip to the gun smith fixed her right up.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I've had a few o/u's back when. If I had to buy another one today, I'd probably go with a 26" 20ga Red Label. I spent $1000's on fancy sporting clays guns but I preferred to shoot my buddy's Ruger both at the range and in the field. You could carry them things all day long and they just felt good!

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    You know, for the kind of money that you are looking to spend, you should be able to snag a good used Browning Citori or Ruger Red Label. The Citori's are notorius for "breaking in" the more you use them. Rugers are built like a safe - no surprise. Just look for something that fits you and do NOT be afraid to pick up a dozen or so guns and make sure that you like the fit before you buy it.

+1 Exactly my advice. I think the Citori's are a little nicer in terms of aesthetics and finish but I like the Red Labels because they're made in America, but they are both great shotguns.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    +1 for the Citori. You will have no problems getting your money back out of it if you out grow it or dislike it. Most other brands do not hold there value like the Brownings do.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    remington spr310 in 20gauge is what i use.its a beautiful gun.no engraving on it(which i like).handles very well.excellant o/u shotgun.not all that expensive neither.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    Ruger red label gets my vote hands down! i have both the 12ga and the 20ga.
    and i love both of them with a strong lean to the 20ga. oh yea their both ss. models with the extra fancy wood. yea i've had them that long. i've shot trap, skeet and sporting clays with both.
    :ingo:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I was looking at a bunch at The Outdoorsman yesterday. Didnt have the money for the more expensive ones. Saw a new Mossberg over/under silver reserve, i believe for $499. Would have bought it but only got him down to $475.

Does anyone know the quality on these?

Cjcmajor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    i like all the idea's thus far. As stated above i would like this gun to become an heirloom of sorts. Thusly, my top three are the Brownings, beretta and ruger. these all sound like great firearms that will last me for sometime and with proper care i should be able to pass done to my children.

So with this in mind, what is it i should be looking for on the actually o/u to see what kind of condition it is in. i.e. places of wear, typical signs of abuse....etc?

Top Bottom