• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I've been asking questions about various handguns, and you've been giving me useful information. Thank you! But it's occurred to me that I've been going about this the wrong way. I should tell you about my needs, and you'll be able to help me more directly.

I'm looking for a compact handgun that can serve as my primary CCW, and also as my backup gun. I'm right handed, and plan to CCW on my right side. If I do two gun carry (say, in a class), I'll carry a full-size gun on my right hip, and the the compact gun on my left side.

I tried the Ruger LC9, but I ran into a few problems: (1) the gun is too skinny, making a stable grip difficult to achieve; (2) I can't ever get used to the looooooooong trigger that breaks so close to the grip; (3) the safety is right-handed only, which means I can't carry it on my left side and shoot with my left hand if I need to.

Ideally I'd like another 1911, because that's what I'm used to, and what I shoot best. The CC gun would perhaps be the officer size. But that's just too expensive.

So here are some preliminary requirements:

-- The gun should be under $600. Not looking for expensive. I'd prefer not to have to invest in a trigger job. Somehow I feel if I'm shelling out that much dough, the manufacturer should get it right.
    -- If the gun has safety, it should be ambidextrous.
    -- The gun shouldn't be too skinny. It should be thick enough to ensure a stable grip. A 1911 thickness is about perfect. So most of the single stack mini-9s are out.
    -- The gun shouldn't be too thick either, because it's for conceal carry.
    -- 9mm

I also have some negotiable preferences:

-- ambi safety
    -- all metal

Here are the guns I've looked at:

Springfield XD subcompact -- This is my current front runner. I like the trigger. I feel I can shoot well with it. I do OK with the full-size model. But of course it has no safety like a 1911, and it's polymer.

Baby Glock -- Similar to the Springfield (or is it the other way around?). But I have a slight preference for the Springfield.

S&W M&P 9c -- I really like how this gun feels in my hand, even more so than the Springfield. It's got ambi safety. But I know I'm going to have to get a trigger job, and that's going to cost extra. The M&P 9c is also a little thicker than either the Glock or the XD.

Ruger SR9C -- It's got many good things going for it, including the ambi safety. But I hate the trigger.

CZ Rami -- I haven't held one, so I don't know how I'll like it. It is all metal. I don't have a DA/SA gun, so I don't know how well I'll take to the trigger, especially with my support hand. No ambi decocker. I do like CZ 75 and its derivatives.

Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact -- It's got many things going for it: low price, ambi safety, metal construction. The only thing is that it's a little on the thick side. I'm not sure how well I can hide it. I'm a skinny guy. On the other hand, compared to the Glock, we seem to be talking about a .25" difference.

I've thought about the CZ P-01 or the P-07, but these seem a little bigger, more comparable to, say, the Glock 17.

So are there other guns I should look at? Do my requirements make sense? Are there things I should give up?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I recommend M&P all the time, and I recommend it for you too. The trigger on the M&P isn't that bad. It is light ans breaks perfectly, about in the middle. The thing people complain about is the reset, and this is a valid complaint. The M&P Shield has an improved reset, but you said you don't like skinny guns, so maybe you have big hands like me. I EDC M&P9C, and love it. I also have a FS, both with stock triggers, and with about a thousand rounds through them. The trigger reset has never been a problem for me, not once. But we all like to tweak our guns, so you can fix the rest, and the only thing you need is the Apex RAM (super simple drop-in). Unfortunately the Apex RAM will not work on models with a safety, and you said you want a safety (my 9c has safety BTW).

IMO M&P It is too high quality of a gun, at the perfect price point, to pass up. Other guns, even if they cost less, give you way less for your money. Glocks are well over $100 more expensive, but quality is about the same (better trigger reset, worse ergonomics). You can get a new M&P for less than a new one. I've never seen a used one or less than $450 in the classifieds. Search slickguns.com and they are $399.

:twocents:

PS, I shot the XD9C simultaneous to my M&P9C, and it was much less fun to shoot, and less accurate for me. It has a darn near perfect trigger, but the muzzle flip is oddly intense for a 9mm.

Last edited:

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    What about the smaller sigs? I'm personally a glock fan, (in that price range and being able to get LEO pricing makes it a pretty sweet deal) but if it were me my backup would be able to run my main sidearms mags.. If you like 1911's pick up a used springer commander, or ultra.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think the P01 might not be as big as you think. It fits all of your criteria and is an excellent CCW. I have the 75 compact. It is a bit heavier than the P01 as it is all steel. You can carry the compact cocked and locked or hammer down on a loaded chamber.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Have you looked at a Sig 290, 224, or if you're looking for slightly larger but still narrow enough, the 225/P6? The 225/P6 would come in way under budget, and Sig offers a complete service to completely go through it and add night sights.

Also on the 225/P6, no safety, it's a DC model. I've not tried to CC mine yet, but I don't think it would be terrible, however I'm a larger guy, 6' tall, 210 or so... (down from 260! :rockwoot: )

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm looking for a compact handgun that can serve as my primary CCW, and also as my backup gun.

Glock 19 or M&P9C would fill the bill here well. You can also use the full size mags of the Glock 17 in the 19, or the Full Size M&P in the 9c for reloads.

I tried the Ruger LC9, but I ran into a few problems: (1) the gun is too skinny, making a stable grip difficult to achieve; (2) I can't ever get used to the looooooooong trigger that breaks so close to the grip; (3) the safety is right-handed only, which means I can't carry it on my left side and shoot with my left hand if I need to.

This also says Glock 19 or M&P9c to me as well. I'd opt for no manual safety, on the 9c, but that's me.

Ideally I'd like another 1911, because that's what I'm used to, and what I shoot best. The CC gun would perhaps be the officer size. But that's just too expensive.

Maybe try one of the Sigs, like a Sig 938?

So here are some preliminary requirements:

-- The gun should be under $600. Not looking for expensive. I'd prefer not to have to invest in a trigger job. Somehow I feel if I'm shelling out that much dough, the manufacturer should get it right.
    -- If the gun has safety, it should be ambidextrous.
    -- The gun shouldn't be too skinny. It should be thick enough to ensure a stable grip. A 1911 thickness is about perfect. So most of the single stack mini-9s are out.
    -- The gun shouldn't be too thick either, because it's for conceal carry.
    -- 9mm

This also says Glock or M&P9C to me. Both will come in under $600. The M&P can be substantially less, but depending what you want for trigger reset, you may need to do some aftermarket drop in parts for the M&P, but again, still well less than $600 if you shop wisely for the M&P and even with a full set of Apex parts.

The Glock can be found for much less than $600 as well, exact price will depend on what sights, generation, etc you opt for,

I also have some negotiable preferences:

-- ambi safety
    -- all metal

Well the all metal may be a deal breaker. Is there a specific reason for this? How much weight are you willing to live with? Is alloy okay? I'd think real hard about why this is a preference and decide if it is an issue or not.

Here are the guns I've looked at:

Springfield XD subcompact -- This is my current front runner. I like the trigger. I feel I can shoot well with it. I do OK with the full-size model. But of course it has no safety like a 1911, and it's polymer.

Baby Glock -- Similar to the Springfield (or is it the other way around?). But I have a slight preference for the Springfield.

S&W M&P 9c -- I really like how this gun feels in my hand, even more so than the Springfield. It's got ambi safety. But I know I'm going to have to get a trigger job, and that's going to cost extra. The M&P 9c is also a little thicker than either the Glock or the XD.

Ruger SR9C -- It's got many good things going for it, including the ambi safety. But I hate the trigger.

CZ Rami -- I haven't held one, so I don't know how I'll like it. It is all metal. I don't have a DA/SA gun, so I don't know how well I'll take to the trigger, especially with my support hand. No ambi decocker. I do like CZ 75 and its derivatives.

Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact -- It's got many things going for it: low price, ambi safety, metal construction. The only thing is that it's a little on the thick side. I'm not sure how well I can hide it. I'm a skinny guy. On the other hand, compared to the Glock, we seem to be talking about a .25" difference.

I've thought about the CZ P-01 or the P-07, but these seem a little bigger, more comparable to, say, the Glock 17.

So are there other guns I should look at? Do my requirements make sense? Are there things I should give up?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

The Springfield's bore axis is a bit high, but other than just handling in a store, I've had no experience.

You could opt for a Glock 26, but a 19 is not much larger, and conceals very well and meets the primary/backup functionality well. I have a 27 and a 23. Equivalent to the 26 and the 19 (but in .40). I carry both and can share holsters/mags, etc. I'd look at the 19 if I were you. It is an all around good gun. Great size to shoot and carry, large selection of holsters, cheap OEM magazines, armorers everywhere, dead simple to strip down completely with just a punch, and parts are everywhere.

Can't speak to the Ruger or the others mentioned from first hand experience.

Take a serious look at the M&Ps and the Glocks. (I now own an M&P9C as well as several Glocks). I'm not ready to make the switch to carrying the M&P as yet, but ordered a RAM kit and once I see how that improves the non existent tactile trigger reset, I may buy a holster for it to see how it does in that capacity.

The M&P's and the Glocks both partner well with their larger/smaller counterparts for sharing mags/holsters, etc which sounds like it could be a consideration for you.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    3 of the best carry 9's out there are the Glock 19, M&P 9c, and the Ruger SR9c.

If I was wanting to get a M&P 9c at this point I would wait for S&W to fit them with the new style trigger that the Shield has, this would save you from needing a trigger job.

Like I have told people quite a few times, if you are like me and didn't feel like the Glock 19 was ergonomic enough before, try the Gen 4 before you give up as the slight difference in grip made all the difference for me, my Glock 19 Gen4 is now my primary carry.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i would do the xd if you like it ....wonderful guns and very reliable and accurate...check out the essential package online for kygunco and have it shipped to bzguns...you will pay a grand total of 407 plus 15 transfer (free shipping/no tax) to get your gun in your hand...excellent choice
    ..oh yeah...pass on all the xd stuff...not worth the extra moolah...your gun hangs out the bottom of the provided holster...i bent down to look at something on my car wearing one of these and got a idiot scratch on the frame...be advised that the finish on the xd's do wear quicker than a glock but nothing to be worried about if you get a good holster
    Springfield XD Subcompact Essentials Package 9mm

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Yes, I like metal guns. Alloy is… OK. But I'm willing to consider polymer. The weight issue is a factor for all-day carrying, and so is the cost. That's why I don't think an officer 1911 will work (too heavy and too expensive), even though that's what I like to shoot at the range. So basically I'm trying to find something that resembles the 1911 enough, but is cheap and lighter. The M&P9c seems like where I'm heading.

@Websniper: I prefer a safety that operates like the 1911 safety, so I will only have to train for one pattern of movement (draw, thumb down on the safety, aim, etc.). But this is negotiable. I probably won't freeze if I program myself for the 1911, and suddenly find myself having to draw & shoot a Glock. But who knows.

@WestSider: Any word on when S&W will put in the new trigger (from the Shield) in the rest of the M&P lines? (BTW, I already have a polymer pistol that I want to get rid of...)

@looney2ns: I know some people like the Ruger SR9c trigger, but for some reason I just don't. I did a side-by-side comparison with Glock 26, XD, M&P9c, and I liked the trigger on those better.

I haven't considered the Sig. I don't see them that often. Now you've given me more choices to consider.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    @WestSider: Any word on when S&W will put in the new trigger (from the Shield) in the rest of the M&P lines? (BTW, I already have a polymer pistol that I want to get rid of...)

I wish I knew, this was just something I heard, but if it is true I would certainly wait for the new trigger as it seems to be much better.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    The Sig 239 meets your basic requirements, it's not tiny like many of the pocket 9s of today. The grip is very nice.
    It's nothing like a 1911 though.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger P95. It's a little big, but I know of a few people who CC with it every single day. :rockwoot:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Something new that you might consider is the XDs 45. A slim single stack 45 would be a perfect back up gun.

gallery-left.jpg

Top Bottom