• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I hadn't really considered naming it, but I pretty much personalize all my stuff like this so I want to come up with a name. I really like the meaning of "chasing Rainbows".... but I wont like the crap I will get from fishing buddies with that name, nor do I fish for rainbow trout. Here is what brought that name up in my mind, and the meaning is a perfect fit for me, but the words used to communicate that meaning are not. Here is the post.

In my experience, church is where people go to do the following:

A) Argue orthodoxy incessantly but completely forget orthopraxy
    B) Engage in politics
    C) Forget the mission to concentrate on the organization
    D) Go through the motions
    E) Socialize

The most honest and fulfilling church I ever attended was a relatively small Unitarian place out in Kansas that my ex-wife liked. It wasn't for me, but they were genuinely good people, were more concerned with how you acted then how you believed, and were politics free. There was a heavy Mennonite influence, lots of long sleeves and beards and such. I just didn't see the point in it. I didn't believe in pacifism, wasn't really interested in the sermons, etc. so I was squarely in the D category of just going through the motions to keep the wife happy until she lost interest and chased her next rainbow. I'm truly happy for those people who get something out of a church like that. It seems like a great resource for them. I just am not one of them.

I am a man of many projects. I am always starting a new project, often before I finish the last. and I always go in overboard. Instead of a swingset I built a full on 288 square foot playhouse with a 5 station swingset, and rockwall, and firehose bridge. all made out of 30 foot telephone poles.

Instead of building a hobby cannon, I built full size, to scale, with all the bells and whistles.

When I got into reloading I bought EVERYTHING right off the bat, and didn't stop until I "mastered" about every aspect of it, but have not reloaded anything for about two years.

We wanted some trees on the property, so I planted 150 of them, and put in a 15 tree orchard.

My wife wanted to start biking so I bought two bikes, carriers for each, outfitted them with mirrors, pouches, water bottles, air pumps, spare parts, special chain lube and helmets, all before we even took our first trip.

Whenever I pick up a new project, or hobby, I tend to go overboard and fully dive into it chasing some sort of satisfaction, or fulfillment that I often never achieve.

However I have been trying to get into kayak fishing for a lot longer than I plan most other things and I am finally getting into it. and like everything else I am going all in. I don't know if I will find the fulfillment of a hobby in this like I feel like I will, but the journey is half the fun.

Hence chasing rainbows. You can try a thousand paths, and search for a thousand years, and still may never find that "rainbow".

So that's why I really like the meaning behind "chasing rainbows" because I seem to chase my own version of rainbow fairly often, and seldom find what I thought I wanted to find.

But, its pretty obvious what sort of crap I would get from fishing buddies if I named the boat that. I would like to keep the word chasing, but want to substitute rainbows for something else that will have the same meaning. so those of you who have mastered the English language, help.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The idea of constantly moving on to other projects makes me think of Ecclesiastes. Perhaps "Vanity"?

Or you can stick with the chasing rainbows idea in less co-opted terminology and go with something like "Pot of Gold."

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The idea of constantly moving on to other projects makes me think of Ecclesiastes. Perhaps "Vanity"?

Or you can stick with the chasing rainbows idea in less co-opted terminology and go with something like "Pot of Gold."

Thanks for the help.... it might take a while to figure this one out. I don't really like either of the first two, they just don't "speak to me"... and pot of gold implies wealth so no.

chasing, searching, pursuing, seeking, finding, ect.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Squirrels top four names for the kayak,

River Plop
    River / Stream Biscuit
    River / Stream Muffin

Rainbow Muffin

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I think you should name it what you want.
    Put an extra rod holder on it
    Put a rod blank in extra rod holder (the longer and more flexible, the better)
    Use rod blank as a switch on anyone that mocks what you named your property.

Top Bottom