• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I did a quick search to find some answers and did not learn much on this sub forum. I have a Mossberg Pursuader 20" 12 gauge. I have enjoyed shooting it at the Linden Conservation Club to bust up some clays. I understand that it is not ideal for this purpose, but I am running it multi-purpose now.

I am on the hunt for a dedicated clay busting gun. I do not plan to compete with it, rather, it will most likely be a plinking gun. I figured a $200 used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 out of the pawn shop would get me in the right area. Is this a good idea or would I have the same amount of luck shooting what I have?

The Mossberg I have now will be a bedside gun when not at the range. I will be adding a flashlight and shell holder to it with an angled foregrip. It seems silly to double duty this gun busting clays in this configuration. Any thoughts?

**EDIT****
    P.S. I have been trying to track down the accu-choke barrel from Mossberg for the Special Duty shotguns.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...orted-fits-8-shot-extended-magazine-tube-blue

I cannot locate one of these barrels. The few postings that I have found were in the ~$200 range, which is what I could spend on a second shotgun.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I am certainly no expert, but either of the guns you mentioned would work. You will have much more fun at the trap range with a 28-30 inch shotgun, IMO.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Sounds good. While looking around locally, I saw that PSA had the ATI TACSX2 12 Gauge semi auto for sale:

ATI TACSX2 12ga 18.5" Bbl Tac Semi-Auto w/$30 Gift Card ATIGTACSX2 - Shotguns - Firearms

That is a lot of gun for a little bit of money. I read a 23 page post on AR15.com about the gun and it seems to be a relatively well made Turkish import loosely based off of a Benelli or Beretta. They have an 18.5" barrel and vented rib 28" model. I may fork out some cash for that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds good. While looking around locally, I saw that PSA had the ATI TACSX2 12 Gauge semi auto for sale:

ATI TACSX2 12ga 18.5" Bbl Tac Semi-Auto w/$30 Gift Card ATIGTACSX2 - Shotguns - Firearms

That is a lot of gun for a little bit of money. I read a 23 page post on AR15.com about the gun and it seems to be a relatively well made Turkish import loosely based off of a Benelli or Beretta. They have an 18.5" barrel and vented rib 28" model. I may fork out some cash for that.
    They have free shipping on orders over $50 right now too...

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    The Mossberg 500 and Rem 870 are great for economical Trap shooting. I use 28s and 30s for it. I'm no good at Skeet even with shorter barrels so the length is OK to me for Trap and Sporting Clays. With a little practice you can do True Pair in Sporting with a pump. I did it for a couple years before finding an 1100 that was only used a few times before returning to the pump. Eventually bought an O/U for Sporting, but still use my 870 for Trap.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I highly suggest getting a shotgun that has removable chokes. Then it can be multi-purpose. Clay dusting, bird busting, bunny humping, deer killing machine.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    The 28" Vented Ribbed Mossberg barrel for my 500 has the Accu-Choke in it, but they won't make anymore. They must have made like 4 of them and then shut that machine down. It seems like everyone is on a tactical shotgun kick and all of these cheap knockoffs are 18.5" barrels with rails and all black. I'm actually having a hard time finding one setup for hunting. Maverick 88's have been my closest find, but people keep wanting the same price for a 500 and they don't have a removable choke. Thanks for the suggestions.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    The 500 or the 870 will be great. I have used my 30 year old 870 to shoot trap for years. you may even find a cheap over/under. I bought a Boito over/under a few weeks ago. I haven't shot it yet,but I got it for $150.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You need a gun that fits you, and that doesn't just mean your wallet.
    FWIW I got a new Baikal OU some time back that required stock mod to be usable, differed greatly from my 870/1100 field stocks.
    Next one I saw (used) actually fit me pretty well (go figure).

You might save a few $ buying unseen, but you might also get screwed.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    1 Day Agonettinyahoo
    Don't they treat you like a red headed stepchild if you don't shoot a double barrel and have a fancy vest?

The few times I've been to the local trap range, the people there, both workers and other shooters, were extremely nice and very helpful. Last time out I took my son with his 870 Wingmaster that I got him for Christmas, and a group of men passing by stopped to talk to us (my son specifically) asking him how he liked the gun and was he having fun. Great experience for him.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One of the guys that ran my local trap range for years.......ran an old 870 Trap. I ran an 1100 Trap (or a 1100 magnum).
    The only time anybody chuckled was when I brought a Special Field 870 20 guage, and another time a guy brought a short coach gun.
    We busted enough that they quit laughing, and instead started b*tching (because those %$#@#@ short guns were LOUD).

So IMHO most folks don't give a crap what you shoot, if you can hit with it that's good enough :)

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I use a plain old 870 with a 28" barrel and factory choke. I do OK at busting clays with friends. The mossberg and 870 are extremely versatile guns and can be changed when you out grow them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It depends whether or not you want to shoot skeet and/or sporting clays in addition to trap. For the first two, a shotgun which has a quick follow up shot for doubles is really nice. That's the reason you see so many over/ unders and semi-autos on those ranges.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Necroing this thread to give what I think is an useful update. Found a Mossberg Silver Reserve locally for a decent price and plan on pulling the trigger. I did not know this gun even existed. it seems to fit my needs perfectly. There was a firing pin issue early in the life of the gun that has been fixed now. Otherwise, it seems like a sweet shooting work horse. I can't wait to get down to Linden and start breaking clays with it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Necroing this thread to give what I think is an useful update. Found a Mossberg Silver Reserve locally for a decent price and plan on pulling the trigger. I did not know this gun even existed. it seems to fit my needs perfectly. There was a firing pin issue early in the life of the gun that has been fixed now. Otherwise, it seems like a sweet shooting work horse. I can't wait to get down to Linden and start breaking clays with it.
    The big boys and girls in the shotgun arena like longer barrels with the shortest being around 28". O/U's are nice, but they do punish the shoulder more than the semis.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    The big boys and girls in the shotgun arena like longer barrels with the shortest being around 28". O/U's are nice, but they do punish the shoulder more than the semis.
    I do agree, but will add something to it. A lightweight field gun is not ideal for busting clays all day. Gets pretty darn brutal. My Beretta 686 is borderline and takes its toll after a couple hundred rounds while a friends 682 I could easily shoot twice as much if you don't mind shouldering the heavier gun. But neither is as gentle as my Remington 1100 semi auto.

Top Bottom