Not open for further replies.

TylerAdels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Fort Wayne & Bloomington, IN
    Hi fellow members!

I thought I'd introduce myself with a short story about how I recently became enthralled in the world of firearms. It spans time and includes laughter and tears... I swear, someone could make a movie from it! Haha... Anyways...

My great-grandfather died in 1969. He was an avid gun collecter and a competing sharpshooter around Indiana; he lived in Richmond, IN for most of his life. He competed mostly in smallbore rifle competitions and some pistol as well. His collection includes some beautiful M1s, a Springfield 1884 .45-70 Govt. (my personal favorite), and many more. I'm certain I'll be posting pictures along with questions as I know very little about some of these guns other than what my grandfather (his son) knows, which isn't much. When my great-grandfather died, my grandfather received his two gun cabinets, which sat in his basement in Connersville, IN until he moved to Florida and gave them to my dad when I was 13.

My dad always talked about "cleaning grandpa's guns and learning to shoot" but it wasn't until recently (I'm 22 now) that we made good on our plans. In December of '11 we took my great-grandfathers Colt Officer's Model Match .38 revolver and Colt 1911 out of the glass cabinet and took them to our local shooting range (Freedom Firearms in Fort Wayne) to reconnect with our lost lineage. We had both shot before, mostly an occasional skeet outing with his golfing buddies, but there was something special about shooting these guns that hadn't been fired in over 40 years. My dad was 7 when his grandfather died, and obviously I wasn't alive, but we felt closer to our ancestry than we ever had before. We excitedly called my great-grandmother after our two hours of range-time and she was so happy that great-grandpa's guns were finally getting the attention they deserved.

My great-grandma passed away this past January, and that was a huge blow to my family as we are very close-knit. My dad and I have fallen in love with shooting and we have both bought our own firearms in the past few months. For us, it provides a connection to our past that we could not have experienced any other way. Alongside that, we are creating our own memories and establishing a bond that I will cherish forever and maybe one day pass on to my own children (don't tell my girlfriend I said that, I'll forever deny it).

So that's my story so far. I'm looking forward to talking with many of you, and I promise to make good on my offer of sharing some information and pictures of these beautiful firearms... along with my own questions about some of their intricacies.

-Tyler

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looking forward to pics, and more tales. A lot to be garnered here, and a lot of B.S.

Take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt, and NOTHING for granted.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What a great intro and nicely well written. Welcome to INGO. We are glad to have you and look forward to your posts.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Welcome from Bloomington!

If you ever are in the area and need help shooting some of those guns let me know ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom