• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The only rifle I own with a heavy barrel is my Savage MKIIFV .22LR. I chose it over the standard barrel model, because I liked feel of the heavy barrel more so then the standard barrel. I also own a Marlin 925R .22LR, it has a standard barrel. Both rifles are scoped for 50 yards, both are equipped with bi-pods and I shoot off of a bench. I really can not tell much difference on accuracy between the two. Could just be the user. I do however prefer the trigger on the Savage over the Marlin.

I know a heavy barrel will dissipate heat better. With a .22LR being such a low pressure cartridge, heat is not as much as an issue as with larger higher pressure centerfire cartridges. So from my experience with .22LR bolt action rifles. A heavy barrel really gives you know clear cut advantage over a standard barrel. To further my study, I'm going to do an ammo test with both. The ammo that will be used in the testing is as follows.

1. Wolf target match
    2. RWS
    3. Blazer
    4. CCI mini-mags (fmj)

I'm not going to use any devices to support the butt of the stock. I want to shoot like I would else where, where I would not have any support of that type. I will first fire a few practice rounds to get a good feel, and get some fouling in the barrel. Also I will have to adjust my scope for the Wolf, because it is sub-sonic. Then re-adjust it for the high velocity ammo. I will also shoot at the smallest targets possible. For me it's easier to focus on a small object, rather then a larger one when shooting for group size. I'm hoping to do my testing this Saturday, if not I'll have to hold off until the following weekend. I will post detailed pics of the results, and maybe some video.

This is the set up for both rifles.

Savage MKIIFV: The rifle has no upgrades. It is equipped with a 6"-9" Shooters Ridge bi-pod, Burris rings, and Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope.

Marlin 925R: The rifle has no upgrades. It is equipped with a 6"-9" Shooters Ridge bi-pod, factory mounted rings, and factory mounted 3x9x32 scope.

So keep in tune my fellow Ingo members. Should make for some fun, and interesting testing.

Cheers,
    Patriot :ingo:

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The biggest advantage to the bull barrel on a 22 is stiffness. The weight doesn't seem to matter that much. On a centerfire the heat can be an issue. I have a 22 Cheetah with a pencil barrel that will group 5 in 1/4 in but unless it is allowed to cool it will start stringing vertically. I have not had that problem in a 22 rimfire.

Top Bottom