• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well, let me start by saying that I am just beginning to research these. I have always had a problem with my feet getting cold after a couple hours when temps get below 20. I purchased some nice boots, and a couple different socks and it helped, but I'm looking to go further. In February, I will be going out snow goose hunting and would like to know that my time in the field won't be limited by my cold feet.
    I want to know if any of you guys have experience with heated in-soles (not the disposable air activated ones)?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Well, let me start by saying that I am just beginning to research these. I have always had a problem with my feet getting cold after a couple hours when temps get below 20. I purchased some nice boots, and a couple different socks and it helped, but I'm looking to go further. In February, I will be going out snow goose hunting and would like to know that my time in the field won't be limited by my cold feet.
    I want to know if any of you guys have experience with heated in-soles (not the disposable air activated ones)?

400 and 800 gram thinsulate insulated boots are useless when you start heading south of 32 degrees. Buy a set of 1200 grams min. of thinsulate insulated boots and wear a set regular socks with wool socks over them. (so buy your boots one size larger than you need).

I just bought me a new pair (last pair lasted right around 10yrs.) from basspro. They have a deal going on where you can get the boots now and make 6 monthly payments, first payment made when ordered. My boots were $219.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    400 and 800 gram thinsulate insulated boots are useless when you start heading south of 32 degrees. Buy a set of 1200 grams min. of thinsulate insulated boots and wear a set regular socks with wool socks over them. (so buy your boots one size larger than you need).

I just bought me a new pair (last pair lasted right around 10yrs.) from basspro. They have a deal going on where you can get the boots now and make 6 monthly payments, first payment made when ordered. My boots were $219.

My boots are actually 1200 gram thinsulate danner's.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I always thought my cold feet were caused by not having enough insulation, but it turns out it was caused by too much. My feet would sweat on my walk into the woods and the cold would creep in soon after sitting down. I have switched to a pair of lightweight highly breathable hikers and a thin wool sock for my walk in and after @ 20-30 minutes on stand I put on a neoprene shoe cover intended for cycling and haven't had cold feet since. I have been on stand for full day sits as low as 10 degrees and very windy with no issues.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I spent 5 hours outside yesterday with boots that were 600 or 800 grams. High temp yesterday was 3 or 4, the windchill maybe 5 or 10 below zero. Past 14 days I don't think we have had a day where windchill went above zero. Right now windchill is around -30 and I will head out with the same boots. So you can make various boots work but you need to know what you are doing, use the right combo of socks and boots have to be sized right, never too tight.

I hate boot heaters in general. If your boots already fit right with the socks you are wearing then they may be a good option for you. We have som new thermacells sitting here all charged up. Not for me but rather then be stubborn I may try them today for the hell of it. I prefer not to rely on things like this but to each his own. I will post back if I decide to use them today.

i guess the question for you is tell us what socks are you using? Are your feet staying dry? Do you wear a pair of liners? Expensive socks or cheap cotton crap?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I honestly don't remember exactly what socks my wool ones are, I think they are danners also. I wear neoprene cabelas liner socks, and then the wool socks on top of them. I am not 100% sure my feet are staying dry and that may be my issue.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I always thought my cold feet were caused by not having enough insulation, but it turns out it was caused by too much. My feet would sweat on my walk into the woods and the cold would creep in soon after sitting down. I have switched to a pair of lightweight highly breathable hikers and a thin wool sock for my walk in and after @ 20-30 minutes on stand I put on a neoprene shoe cover intended for cycling and haven't had cold feet since. I have been on stand for full day sits as low as 10 degrees and very windy with no issues.

I second this entire post with the exception I carry my wool socks in my pack and switch them out once I get to my stand. I don't have special covers for my boots I just carry an extra fleece jacket to wrap them up in.
    Lots of people swear by these.

ArcticShield Winter Hunting Boot Camo Insulators | Legendary Whitetails

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Bought two sets, and both went bad, they are a pain in the butt to use, you have wires running through your pants to connect to a battery pouch. Yeah they sucked, I wouldn't buy them again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Treestsands can act as wonderful heat sinks, and if not of proper seat height, can restrict bloodflow to the feet further helping them ice up sooner.
    Learned long ago that slightly loose boots and wool socks are the way to go, and I don't wear 'em on the drive up either.
    In fact I run no lower heat in my truck, and let my feet dry out after I arrive at my hunting spot........before I put on my wool socks and hunting boots.
    Lack of sleep or good food also helps me chill faster.

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    69   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    A few things: Do not wear your boots and heavy socks on the walk in and make sure they are not really tight. I have used the handwarmer things that are made for boots and they work fairly well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know this is a little off the subject but it is boot related. If you wear steel toe boots outside during the winter, look into getting a non-metallic/composite protective toe. I just switched from a real steel toe to a carbon fiber and it makes a huge difference. The don't hold the cold like the steel does and keeps your toes warmer. I also went to the "king toe" for a little more room. Night and day difference. These are offered from Red Wing boots. Thats what my company supplies us with so I'm not sure about other brands.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I honestly don't remember exactly what socks my wool ones are, I think they are danners also. I wear neoprene cabelas liner socks, and then the wool socks on top of them. I am not 100% sure my feet are staying dry and that may be my issue.

Wait a minute, you put basically "plastic bags" next to your skin and then put wool socks over them? Ditch the neoprene socks, they hold any sweat next to your skin. Neoprene socks are intended for use inside waders not hunting boots. Buy some polypropylene liner socks or just wear the wool next to your skin. Some have suggested the use of antiperspirant (not deodorant) spray on your feet to limit sweating but I have no experience and have heard of problems doing so.

Like these?????

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...gclid=CKet1IahqbsCFclaMgodKyYA6g&gclsrc=aw.ds

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I work construction and I'm on my feet all day outside. When my feet get cold I'm done, no matter how many time I warm them they get cold faster the next.
    The best thing I've found are these- New U.S. Mickey Boots With Valve, Black - 591923, Cold Weather at Sportsman's Guide
    You can fill them with water and as long as you move your toes your feet will stay warm. At the end of the day my socks are wet, feet steaming when I put my regular boots on. When It gets cold I put my Mickey's on.

Edit to add the white ones are supposed to be warmer, but honestly the black ones are awesome.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I work construction and I'm on my feet all day outside. When my feet get cold I'm done, no matter how many time I warm them they get cold faster the next.
    The best thing I've found are these- New U.S. Mickey Boots With Valve, Black - 591923, Cold Weather at Sportsman's Guide
    You can fill them with water and as long as you move your toes your feet will stay warm. At the end of the day my socks are wet, feet steaming when I put my regular boots on. When It gets cold I put my Mickey's on.

Edit to add the white ones are supposed to be warmer, but honestly the black ones are awesome.

LOL My friend brought a set of the white ones during shotgun season 1 in IL almost a month ago. The white ones are arctic issue.

Last edited:

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I work outside year round for the past 25 years, uninsulated boots and ll bean wool socks can't be beat. If you are being too still try bunching and relaxing your muscles and eat fatty foods peanut butter and ice cream will fix you right up in the winter

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I wear 800 gram LaCrosse Alpha Burley Sports that are a size and a half too big.

I wear polypropylene sock liners and a good pair of wool socks.

if you can't easily wiggle your toes in your boots they are to tight. Nothing insulates better than air.

Top Bottom