• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    What do you all use for hearing protection? I've seen 'headphone' type protectors, some of which seem more industrial in nature, some claim to be geared toward shooting sports. And I've seen a lot of in-ear type devices .. some foam cylinders, some exotically-shaped rubber thingies. These all seem to be rated in the 25 - 30 db range.

What do you use for shooting? Ideas, suggestions welcomed. Specify brand names and/or model #s if possible ..

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    noise-fingers-in-ears-001.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ok. more serious....

I recently got some MSA/Sordin electronic muffs.... they freaking ROCK!

I got those after my pro-ears electronic muffs died. they were nice, but bulky and the batteries didn't always stay put (N cells not as readily available as AA or AAA). they survived almost 10 years of competition and training use, incl some heavy rains, etc.

For muffs... generally the bigger ones give better protection, but the lower-profile ones make it easier to get a cheek weld on a rifle w/o knocking them loose.

I've recently been experimenting with the Surefires... something I can wear for protection when not on the line but others are shooting, yet I can slip muffs on over if needed. The EP3s didn't work for me, left my ears ringing after 1 round from an AR under an awning... going to try the EP4s and see if they seal better for my ear size/shape.

I've gone through many bags of basic foam plugs, specifically the ones from Dillon. They offer great protection. Only reason I'm trying the SFs over them is after 8-12 hrs on the range I would get some massive headaches, and I think it's from the pressure they exert while trying to expand in the ear. For an hour or two they are perfectly comfortable.

If just watching someone shoot, yea, fingers work great! haha.

-rvb

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-Protection-Medium/dp/B001V2SS9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366223615&sr=8-1&keywords=surefire+ep4]Amazon.com: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection, Medium: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Surefire EP4's are what I use. They work great, are comfortable, and very affordable.

Muffs get in the way of my cheek weld when shooting a rifle, but for pistol shooting muffs will work fine. Electronic muffs are really nice since you can actually hear commands and still interact with other people without them having to yell.

There's a few threads around INGO about electronic muffs and I believe Esrice did a review on a few different pairs if that's the way you are headed. The search function would probably bring it up for you.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I use custom made ear plugs or the impact sport electronic muffs. (just depends on what I am doing.)

1964 Ears - Products - Solid Earplugs

or

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366224066&sr=8-1&keywords=impact+sport]Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff - Amazon.com[/ame]

and some times I wear both!

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Thanks to all who responded with great info. This gives me specific info and recommendations to help my search. Special thanks to ESRICE for the link .. extremely informative.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Amazon.com: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection, Medium: Sports & Outdoors

Surefire EP4's are what I use. They work great, are comfortable, and very affordable.

Muffs get in the way of my cheek weld when shooting a rifle, but for pistol shooting muffs will work fine. Electronic muffs are really nice since you can actually hear commands and still interact with other people without them having to yell.

There's a few threads around INGO about electronic muffs and I believe Esrice did a review on a few different pairs if that's the way you are headed. The search function would probably bring it up for you.

I'll ditto the surefires. I use them with everything I shoot

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I use both the Mack plugs and some type of low profile ear muffs. I've used them all now.

Just make sure that they are in good shape and fresh batteries. Also I use those ear socks from Brownell's to keep the ear slime off and keep it clean.

Use muffs, not just plugs. Sounds comes in through the bones as well as the ear canal.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've finally tested my new custom plugs and I'll never use anything else. I called a local audiologist who makes hearing aids and he's also a dealer for the Westone DefendEar. He charged me $75 for the plugs, and two visits to be sure of proper fit. The fact that he's an ear doctor is gravy because it included a check-up. They're amazing. There is no muffled feeling because the valves are actually open. I can hear probably 80-90% with them in and no ringing or painful feeling after. I used to use the surefires but they go bad in about 3 months and start to leak sound.

For $75 this is a no brainer. They have a lanyard and I got them in hunter orange so I can find them if they get dropped.

DefendEar Hunter Passive

Edit: This is who did them for me.

David Craig
    Hearing Diagnostics Center
    2102 Ironwood Circle
    South Bend, IN 46635
    (574) 271-0000

Last edited:

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    If you're a recreational shooter who attends classes occasionally I would reccomend the Peltor Tactical 6S. I use them for that purpose and they have yet to let me down. Very comfortable and practical. I have also used the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs and they are pretty awesome as well!

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    I haven't settled on a specific brand but when I am using large calibers or near them or if I am in a confined space my ears thank me for wearing ear muffs over the top of ear plugs.

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I bought these at Menards and I love them, 3M Tekk Protection Professional Protector
    Model Number: 90561-80025T | Menards® SKU: 2121668

Online Price
    $24.97
    Very comfortable and quiet..

The world is full of zombie's,some not dead yet....

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    I use ear muffs, got 'em at Harbor Freight. Much less costly than the brand name ones at the gun shops, and 34 decible reduction. They work great, really muffle the sounds. A set for me and a set for anyone else close. I double checked on the noise reduction rating and it's legit.

Search results for: 'hearing protection'

Top Bottom