• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, we are expecting our first, and we are currently looking at the feasibility of having my wife stay at home with our child. So, naturally, I'll have to add her and the baby to my insurance. She currently has insurance, and works for a large corporation, so the cost is minimal. Anyway, I got the quote back, and WOW! Currently I pay ~$225/mo. for health, vision and dental. I got the quote back and it would increase to ~$1,050 to add them both.

I about **** my pants when I got that quote back. What do you (or your company) pay? FWIW, we are in our early 30's, healthy, never had a major medical claim, etc.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I pay around $500/mo for full medical, dental and vision for a family of 3 through my employer. My job was a little in question a few months back during a reorg and I checked on what it would cost to pay out of pocket for a simiar policy completely out of my pocket and it was around $15k/year.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Holy Schnikes!! Where do you work that they would charge you that much for insurance!?? My former place of employment had high insurance rates but for a family it was only in the $400-500 range depending on a few different factors.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    $120/pay period

Through whom do you get your insurance? Sounds like a small plan or private plan. Hard to believe a large company would be that expensive.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    $521 per month in premium with a $6000 annual deductable. Medical & scripts only. No dental, no vision. Oh, on myself & daughter. Yeh, joys of self emplyment. THIS is why small business charges so much for their goods & services. Oh, FYI. No medical issues for either of us.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Just under $400/month for my wife and myself for health, dental and vision. She's 30 and I'm 30. No health issues for either of us.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well, we are expecting our first, and we are currently looking at the feasibility of having my wife stay at home with our child. So, naturally, I'll have to add her and the baby to my insurance. She currently has insurance, and works for a large corporation, so the cost is minimal. Anyway, I got the quote back, and WOW! Currently I pay ~$225/mo. for health, vision and dental. I got the quote back and it would increase to ~$1,050 to add them both.

I about **** my pants when I got that quote back. What do you (or your company) pay? FWIW, we are in our early 30's, healthy, never had a major medical claim, etc.
    Family plans typically start about $1000 and go up. They will be higher next year. They will be higher the year after that.

Company sponsored group plans are typically about 1/2 the price of a non-company sponsorted family plan, some are much lower. It just depends on how generous the company can afford to be. Under ObamaCare the prices for family plans are skyrocketing, 2 of my close friends are independent insurance agents, they are telling me that rates have been climing very quickly and expect then to continue to climb at historically high rates. Blame ObamaCare for ALL of it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Stand by

Here's a look at your future as it currently exists:

First for us old timers..... Medicare Part A = free. Medicare Part B = $115 a month. Medicare supplement = $160 a month. Medicare Part D (prescriptions) = $35 a month. No dental. No vision. No copays. My part of a $60K+ hip replacement was $29.94. Some of this is optional with a variety of plans. Not bad for now but certainly subject to change.

Second for you kids.....Take a look at your W2. There should be a dollar amount shown on it which represents what your employer paid for your health coverage. Now consider the impact of that amount being considered taxable income.......like next year!

Putting on my tinfoil surgical gown!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I pay $105/pay period (2 weeks) for self+family... and that's for pretty good insurance... not sure what my employer pays but I assume it's a pretty good chunk...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    When I was looking at switching to a job that didnt provide any health insurance, we looked at Anthem (buying privately) and it was going to be 7k/year...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We pay nearly $20k per year for medical, dental, vision. Now we have company's too. $6000 family deductible.

Obamacare will make them much, much higher

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    We pay nearly $20k per year for medical, dental, vision. Now we have company's too. $6000 family deductible.

Obamacare will make them much, much higher

Surely you jest! I was under the impression Obama was gonna pay for muh drugs and muh doctors!

VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    As a single guy, 30 with no health issues.....I pay $220 per month for subpar health insurance and includes dental and vision. (I believe the family plan for you would be around $900 per month) But I'm sure my company pays the absolute minimum amount that they can. The amount the employee pays really depends on what the employer wants to do. Ask someone that works for a hospital how much they pay.....it's sickening.....almost as sickening as when UAW members paid $20 per month until they put the American auto makers into bankruptcy.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My employers just switched us all to HSAs. For just my wife and I, medical, dental and vision, I'm paying $150/week and that's paying into the HSA. There is a $2500 per person deductible unless its a routine service covered by the plan. I can't wait to see what they try to sell us on next.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks, everyone for your input. As some have stated, yes it is a very small business. It's just my father and I in a small professional practice (S-corp) so either way it is still coming out of my pocket. The insurance is Anthem, and we are grouped into a large group of like professionals through a state society, to get a large group discount. I knew it was going to be high, but I was unprepared for the quote I received. Anyway, I am going to see my other options (HSA, larger deductible, etc.). Damn Obamacare!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom